Winxp pro Boot Floppy Keyboard problem

I am preparing to upgrade the bios of my Albatron 865PE Pro2 running
Winxp pro. The computer is running perfectly in every respect except
for one game (RON) that continually freezes. I have exhausted every
avenue and the bios upgrade is considered because its there.
I let XP create a boot floppy and dragged awdflash.exe and the flash
upgrade file to the floppy as Albatron advise.
When I reboot the computer it runs as predicted except at the A:\
prompt the cursor is flashing, but the keyboard is dead. I have tried
other keyboards and all fail.
I am confused as the boot floppy appears to have many keyboard files
on it, but something gets lost in the floppy boot sequence.
I noticed that a normal bootup has an opportunity to Alt F2 to
activate an (onboard?)awdflash utility V8.24L, but using that I get a
message Source file not found, press F1 to continue....F1 dosnt work
as again keyboard is dead.
I have upgraded the keyboard software using the viewsonic slimline
setup, but that made no difference so I rolled back to the original
microsoft driver which as said works sweet for everything except the
boot floppy.
Any advice appreciated.

regards

Peter Simpson
simpson@xtra.co.nz
5 answers Last reply
More about winxp boot floppy keyboard problem

    This is a SCAM. Please ignore it.

    On 3 May 2004 16:09:38 -0700, P. Simpson wrote:

    > I am preparing to upgrade the bios of my Albatron 865PE Pro2 running
    > Winxp pro. The computer is running perfectly in every respect except
    > for one game (RON) that continually freezes. I have exhausted every
    > avenue and the bios upgrade is considered because its there.
    > I let XP create a boot floppy and dragged awdflash.exe and the flash
    > upgrade file to the floppy as Albatron advise.
    > When I reboot the computer it runs as predicted except at the A:\
    > prompt the cursor is flashing, but the keyboard is dead. I have tried
    > other keyboards and all fail.
    > I am confused as the boot floppy appears to have many keyboard files
    > on it, but something gets lost in the floppy boot sequence.
    > I noticed that a normal bootup has an opportunity to Alt F2 to
    > activate an (onboard?)awdflash utility V8.24L, but using that I get a
    > message Source file not found, press F1 to continue....F1 dosnt work
    > as again keyboard is dead.
    > I have upgraded the keyboard software using the viewsonic slimline
    > setup, but that made no difference so I rolled back to the original
    > microsoft driver which as said works sweet for everything except the
    > boot floppy.
    > Any advice appreciated.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Peter Simpson
    > simpson@xtra.co.nz

    Use a PS/2 keyboard or enable "legacy USB" for the keyboard in your BIOS
    settings.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Sharon a special thanks as your advice worked. The cause I now
    discover was largely my fault as I was messing with various USB
    keyboards and I now discover that on borrowing an older HP round plug
    (ps2)keyboard, in some of my original trials I was putting The USB
    keyboard and a PS2 adaptor into the mouse port!! Yes.. I now know they
    are colour coded, but serves me right for crawling around under the
    desk with no torch and it didn't help that the keyboard embossed
    symbol is right up there also. I guess thats why I'm in the newuser
    forum. Anyway PS2 keyboard was found by WinXP straight away and I
    immediately tried the original boot disk and it worked perfectly.
    Thanks also to the other advice I was expecting a long wait, but was
    pleasantly surprised how fast it actually went...once I got the
    correct bin file. My initial download from Albatron was the wrong
    update and awdflash came up and warned me "The program files part
    number does not match with your system" another calamity
    prevented...This time I read the manufacturers site more carefully and
    got the right file easily. Computer updated and appears to be running
    as sweet as usual.
    Now if anyone can solve the RON game freeze that started all this
    drama (havn't had a chance to test it yet with the bios upgrade....)
    Thanks again

    Peter

    To do a BIOS upgrade put the disc in the floppy drive and then power on. Leave
    it do its thing. It takes awhile.

    On 4 May 2004 20:29:18 -0700, P. Simpson wrote:

    > Sharon a special thanks as your advice worked. The cause I now
    > discover was largely my fault as I was messing with various USB
    > keyboards and I now discover that on borrowing an older HP round plug
    > (ps2)keyboard, in some of my original trials I was putting The USB
    > keyboard and a PS2 adaptor into the mouse port!! Yes.. I now know they
    > are colour coded, but serves me right for crawling around under the
    > desk with no torch and it didn't help that the keyboard embossed
    > symbol is right up there also. I guess thats why I'm in the newuser
    > forum. Anyway PS2 keyboard was found by WinXP straight away and I
    > immediately tried the original boot disk and it worked perfectly.
    > Thanks also to the other advice I was expecting a long wait, but was
    > pleasantly surprised how fast it actually went...once I got the
    > correct bin file. My initial download from Albatron was the wrong
    > update and awdflash came up and warned me "The program files part
    > number does not match with your system" another calamity
    > prevented...This time I read the manufacturers site more carefully and
    > got the right file easily. Computer updated and appears to be running
    > as sweet as usual.
    > Now if anyone can solve the RON game freeze that started all this
    > drama (havn't had a chance to test it yet with the bios upgrade....)
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Peter

    You're very welcome, Peter. I don't know what the RON game is so can't
    offer any help there. There is a windowsxp.games newsgroup. May want to
    check there and/or any user forums provided on the internet that are
    specific to that game.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User