Alienware, best for gaming?

Do u think that games that are labeled 'plays best on Alienware' do what they say?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 93.3%

• Total voters

red_devil

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Most of you probably saw Games labeled 'Plays best on Alienware hardware', and probably all of u are thinking 'is it really better?', 'Is it worth what I pay for?'. So i'm trying to gather some information about this concept.

At first u can just take the poll. Also u can write down the games that are labeled 'Plays........' and I will try to open a new forum about their benchmarks. After I go to Alienware.com i will put three specs that will be low, medium, and high end pcs and the games u write so u can compare results.

Thanks for actually reading this.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm not sure, but i guess not. 3dmark also says it runs best on alienware, but are the scores higher on a alien ware rig? I never heard of it.

G

Just look at the bechies toms did a few months ago. Then decide for yourself...

(In my opinion alienware puters are insanely overpriced; you yould do the same for much much less...)

stoppard

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
"plays best on Alienware" is advertising hype designed to sucker people who don't know any better into buying average hardware at an insane markup.

Save some money and build your own.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
ya my friend has a alienware, bought it last xmas, paid wayyy too much for it, paid 3500 and got a 6800Ultra, AMD 3200 processor, and a 19' NEC monitor. It doesnt play many games on high as it claims it will. My advice, build your own, saves you the time, and you'll also be knowing your parts expectations a lot better.

Gormeroth

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
alienware is just a name. "best on alienware" or whatever is just advertising. they don't just slightly overprice they disgustingly rob your pockets for every fucking penny overprice.

they may have top of the line hardware in them, but it's the same hardware you can buy anywhere else... at several times the normal price...

the only thing that's different between something they put together or something you or any other company would put together is their flashy case, mouse, and keyboard.

if you are considering them, FOR GOD SAKES TURN BACK NOW!

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
what you people dont see is that it does play better then say an average dell even if it is grossley overpriced(which it is).so yes lol i am the only one who voted yes. offcourse customs rigs can beat it with quite ease but thats not what were talking about. Peace.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Yea, but his folks bought it for him, they are extremely rich. He now wants a $11,000 Gibson Les Paul shipped from china for xmas(its some limited edition bullsh*t) I voluntered to buy his alienware, just his tower. for 1000 bucks, and yes i know Thats way more than anyone should pay, but its in prime condtion and its kept quite cold, 33C on processor on fullload.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
It's just a lame marketing tool. If I were to buy a gaming PC pre-built, which I never will, it would be a Falcon Northwest machine anyways, which would play anything better than any Alienware machine.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Not necessarily, because, as stated before, Alienware does not manufacture their own hardware, so, there's no such thing as "Alienware Hardware" :p
"Plays best on Alienware" could be possible in some cases because of the overclocking they do.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
I agree that building your own is way cheaper and I always did that, but when compared to prices of ibuypower.com and cyberpowerpc it is almost the same price as building it yourself without the hassle of oem products and doa products.

So my next gaming rig my be from ibuypower and I will pick the exact boards I want.

Of course I am waiting for Intel Conroe or AM2 also a GPU that support DX10 possibly nvidia g80

Unless I won the lottery and had money to throw away then I would get the nice eyecandy of alianware,

G

Nice? Eyecandy?

You are nor really suggesting that Alienware-puters are a beauty to look at?

Sheesh... You make the baby Jeebus cry man :? :cry:

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
Yes......YES I am saying alienware makes an attractive looking gaming machine. And I am sure there are others in this thread that would say the same thing, they make a nice looking machine with the neon lights and etc.

So I AM SCREAMING ALIENWARE IS OVER PRICED BUT MAKES A NICE LOOKING GAMING RIG!!!!!!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Those are only advertising stuff for Alienware. Games all play great using a high end gaming rig but Alienware is very pricey. You could build your own gaming rig with half the cost of that of the Alienware. You can even get a $500 pc and add more rams to make 2Gb and a high-end graphics card then you got yourself a good gaming rig. :wink:

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
ahhhhaaa lol thats just sick, nice guitar but he might aswell get a custom made to fit him one for like 3k. w/e rich people are rich people let them spend their useless money. Peace.

pswenne

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I had an Alienware laptop for about 6 months. I did pay WAY too much for it but I didn't know better at the time ( that what happend when you beleive what you see and don't ask for opinions)

Call me a moron if you want, I had the money and I needed a laptop that could play games and I really can't think of a way to build myself a laptop like this.

Yes Alienware do create great design, the computers are really nice to look at (I had the area-51 M7700)

I had it for 6month becauseI didn't tkae the extra warranty ( base warranty is 3month) and the mobo fried.. so that was 4000$ca trown out the windows I agree. but I really liked the computer anyway.

Now I was able to use the CPU( p4 2.8ghz) and the HD to build myself a nice gaming desktop. So yeah I lost money but I was at least able to salvage some component.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
The base warranty is only 3 months? 8O

Here in the UK, all electronic items, by law, have to come with a minimum 12-month warranty. And if I was spending $4,000 on a computer which wasn't user-servicable, I'd certainly take out an extended warranty as well.

Couldn't Alienware replace the mobo? If I lost a $4,000 laptop after 6 months I'd go absolutely mental.

pswenne

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
mobo was 800$ us plus shipping and service.. I decided to take that 800$ and make myself a new desktop ( as I didn't have real use for the laptop anymore)

I would have taken the extended warranty if it wasn't 400$ more....

Don't worry I learned from my mistake ;) i'll take Acer or Toshiba next time I need a laptop lol ( no Dell... they bought Alienware the week before my computer crash so I think the laptop didn't survived to be under a Dell label and decided to burn LOL)

G

"...I needed a laptop that could play games..."

ahahahahahhahaha *gasps for air* ahahahhahahahah

Yes you ARE a moron. And you obviously have too much money; AND let yourself being ripped off by a 3 months contract?

Sorry; no tears shed for you there... :twisted:

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Most of you probably saw Games labeled 'Plays best on Alienware hardware', and probably all of u are thinking 'is it really better?', 'Is it worth what I pay for?'. So i'm trying to gather some information about this concept.

At first u can just take the poll. Also u can write down the games that are labeled 'Plays........' and I will try to open a new forum about their benchmarks. After I go to Alienware.com i will put three specs that will be low, medium, and high end pcs and the games u write so u can compare results.

Thanks for actually reading this.

One thing you have to understand about Alienware is that out of whatever your paying, about $250 to $500 bucks is just for the name alone. Alienware inflames thier prices to the point of obsurd. I remember back when SLI was first coming into mainstream they had the nerve to charge between $4500 to $6000 for a system. Looking at prices, you can build any Alienware system on your own for $1000 to $1200 grand less than what they try to sell you. And like the one poster said, $3500 for a system with a 6800 Ultra is laughable. Alienware prides themselves on building perfect liquid cooling systems but if your a person who has no idea how liquid cooling works you shouldn't even attempt to buy it. If your experienced enough to know how to build your own rig, do it. Don't get me wrong, the quality of the systems are superb. Hell for a $3000 system it sure as f*ck better be. But worth the cash? If your an experienced builder, or even a person with one or two home made rigs under thier belts, spending that much cash on a system that'll probably be a hell of a headache to upgrade wheb 6 months pass and it's out dated, you'll be feeling the heat. Every since i built my first PC i burnt my Dell to the ground, lol ( :twisted: literally :twisted: ) Oh, to answer the original question. "Played better on a Alienware" is just a slogan. Alienware is just a system. IF you build an identical system it holds no real advantage. I just did a test and built a $6400 system on thier site. Went to NewEgg and matched that system part for part and it was $1500 less.

red_devil

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Guys, you are missing the point of this thread.

The thread is not about Alienware being hugely over priced (which they incredibely are) 8O , but is to find out if actually they stand by their 'Plays best on Alienware' label so If anyone has a pc from Alienware and one or more of their games (such as Farcry) please post specs and the fps you get in a resolution of 1280x1024. and anybody else who finds he has the same specs should post the results too.

Thanks again for everyone who participated in the poll.

nowayjose1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I agree that building your own is way cheaper and I always did that, but when compared to prices of ibuypower.com and cyberpowerpc it is almost the same price as building it yourself without the hassle of oem products and doa products.

Just so's you know, IBP and CPP are the same company. In fact, both are down right now. Might want to check out resellerratings.com before buying from them as well.

aj6065

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
If we're just talking about PC boutique builders, everyone knows Falcon Northwest is the very best.

But if we're not, then most everyone would agree that custom builds are the best.