customer service help please...

Hello all,

first off I got 2 notebooks from the dell outlet center and have ordered 3
desktops until about 2 years ago.

I was having a tech issue with some software so I called tech support, they
stated I have a problem with my account and could not help until it was
straightened out.
I was transferred to (India) customer service and had a very difficult
timing with communicating to the service rep and she said she could not help
me that I need to call another number.877-894-3355. I will try this tomorrow
since its not a 24 hr #

Does anyone know what could have caused a problem in my account.
Obviously my CC was good and I got the shipment, does buying from the outlet
center have its drawbacks like this????

Dissatisfied customer with dells customer "no"support help.

Dave-
13 answers Last reply
More about customer service please

    This is not Dell Customer Service. You know that, right? If your credit
    card was accepted, you got your order in full, and your credit card has been
    billed for the amount you were expecting then you're good to go. Unless, of
    course, you went over the credit limit of your card somehow and Dell didn't
    catch it and your credit card company didn't catch it either. Both options
    being very unlikely. Then there is the issue of paying for technical
    support. Do you have tech support included with your purchases through the
    Dell Outlet? Some support is not automatic and also not free.

    "Xanth" <xanth269@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > first off I got 2 notebooks from the dell outlet center and have ordered 3
    > desktops until about 2 years ago.
    >
    > I was having a tech issue with some software so I called tech support,
    > they stated I have a problem with my account and could not help until it
    > was straightened out.
    > I was transferred to (India) customer service and had a very difficult
    > timing with communicating to the service rep and she said she could not
    > help me that I need to call another number.877-894-3355. I will try this
    > tomorrow since its not a 24 hr #
    >
    > Does anyone know what could have caused a problem in my account.
    > Obviously my CC was good and I got the shipment, does buying from the
    > outlet center have its drawbacks like this????
    >
    > Dissatisfied customer with dells customer "no"support help.
    >
    > Dave-

    "I was having a tech issue with some software so I called tech support..."

    Generally speaking, Dell Technical Support does not offer support for software beyond what is in their knowledgebase. The same is true for almost all OEMs (if not all OEMs.)

    How about telling us your problems? We might be able to help you.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Xanth" <xanth269@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Pgm_e.3290$j_3.2421@trndny07...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > first off I got 2 notebooks from the dell outlet center and have ordered 3
    > desktops until about 2 years ago.
    >
    > I was having a tech issue with some software so I called tech support, they
    > stated I have a problem with my account and could not help until it was
    > straightened out.
    > I was transferred to (India) customer service and had a very difficult
    > timing with communicating to the service rep and she said she could not help
    > me that I need to call another number.877-894-3355. I will try this tomorrow
    > since its not a 24 hr #
    >
    > Does anyone know what could have caused a problem in my account.
    > Obviously my CC was good and I got the shipment, does buying from the outlet
    > center have its drawbacks like this????
    >
    > Dissatisfied customer with dells customer "no"support help.
    >
    > Dave-

    The outlet machines come with full warranty. It is a minimum of 90 days,
    but I have not seen an outlet machine with less than a year.

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:23:59 GMT, "Xanth" <xanth269@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >first off I got 2 notebooks from the dell outlet center and have ordered 3
    >desktops until about 2 years ago.

    I'm confused by your choice of words "until about 2 years ago".
    ^^^^^
    Do I understand correctly that all your orders took place 2 or more
    years ago or are you trying to say in bad English (using the word
    "until") that all your orders were within 2 years ago? If the first
    is true then my guess is you may be beyond your warrantee period.

    It might be easier for you to just tell all here what your software
    issue is and we may be able to help you solve it faster, easier and
    cheaper (perhaps for free) than Dell tech support.

    I have a 3 year warranty I purchased with machine-
    I can not get the Mcafee software to allow me to register the preloaded
    program. I believe that the previous person registered it and since I do not
    know his email or password used I can not register it for me.

    When I talked to tech support he stated that my account was on hold and
    could not help me.

    I figure that I would just uninstall McAfee- then reload with the disk
    provided (a cobranded dell version) I should be fine, but I want to know
    what my account is on hold.

    thanks,
    Dave-

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:22:32 GMT, "Xanth" <xanth269@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have a 3 year warranty I purchased with machine-
    >I can not get the Mcafee software to allow me to register the preloaded
    >program. I believe that the previous person registered it and since I do not
    >know his email or password used I can not register it for me.
    >
    >When I talked to tech support he stated that my account was on hold and
    >could not help me.
    >
    >I figure that I would just uninstall McAfee- then reload with the disk
    >provided (a cobranded dell version) I should be fine, but I want to know
    >what my account is on hold.
    >
    >thanks,
    >Dave-

    First, I'm not sure the Dell warrantee includes technical support for
    software. Regardless, I bet Dell will refer you to McAfee since this
    sounds like a McAfee technical problem and McAfee should know it's own
    software better than Dell. So, if it were me, I'd contact McAfee or
    their web site and explain my problem and tell them that the pc/laptop
    was purchased as a used pc/laptop from Dell with the software on it
    and ask them how to do what I want. Maybe you can't transfer a McAfee
    registration or it can't be done for free but McAfee should be able to
    tell you this.

    >I have a 3 year warranty I purchased with machine-
    > I can not get the Mcafee software to allow me to register the preloaded
    > program. I believe that the previous person registered it and since I do
    > not know his email or password used I can not register it for me.
    >
    > When I talked to tech support he stated that my account was on hold and
    > could not help me.
    >
    > I figure that I would just uninstall McAfee- then reload with the disk
    > provided (a cobranded dell version) I should be fine, but I want to know
    > what my account is on hold.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Dave-

    OK, still confused. You bought a machine with a 2 year warranty, but bought
    it used from that person or directly from the outlet?

    If from the outlet, it would have come with a brand-new, clean image, not
    one that someone else had used. It never would have been registered with
    McAfee.

    It sounds like you bought the machine from someone other than Dell. If so,
    your issue is with the seller.

    Tom

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:31:53 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >"Xanth" <xanth269@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a 3 year warranty I purchased with machine-
    >> I can not get the Mcafee software to allow me to register the preloaded
    >> program. I believe that the previous person registered it and since I do
    >> not know his email or password used I can not register it for me.
    >>
    >> When I talked to tech support he stated that my account was on hold and
    >> could not help me.
    >>
    >> I figure that I would just uninstall McAfee- then reload with the disk
    >> provided (a cobranded dell version) I should be fine, but I want to know
    >> what my account is on hold.
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Dave-
    >

    >OK, still confused. You bought a machine with a 2 year warranty, but bought
    >it used from that person or directly from the outlet?
    >
    >If from the outlet, it would have come with a brand-new, clean image, not
    >one that someone else had used. It never would have been registered with
    >McAfee.
    >
    >It sounds like you bought the machine from someone other than Dell. If so,
    >your issue is with the seller.
    >
    >Tom

    Yeah Tom, I'm a bit confused too. Don't mean to put him down but
    either his English is poor or he's so upset he is writing poorly about
    the facts. Probably he needs to speak to the private seller (if any)
    and/or McAfee to try to transfer the registration. I don't think Dell
    will be able to help him even if he got it from Dell (but you made a
    good point about the clean image from Dell so that only makes the
    issue more unclear). I think I'll sit on the sideline on this thread
    now and see how it is solved...I said my two cents and for all I know
    after the facts are restated, it may be only worth two cents.

    call and give them a different service tag from another order. I did
    have one problem with a refurb server. I called for support and found
    that they had shipped me the worng server! The on I got was supposed
    to go to Chicago Police and vice versa. the server I got was a a dual
    processor 2.8 with 384 gb of hard drive instead of a Dual 3.0 with 72
    gb of hard drive memroy was the same 1 gb for both. it took a few
    calls to get them to believe me that they shipped the wrong server but
    the adittional hd space was fine with me so I jsut kept the server.
    Hopefully the Chicago PD demanded some adittional hard drives?

    maybe this happened to you? have you checked your order vs what was
    shipped?

    Wayne

    Xanth wrote:

    > I have a 3 year warranty I purchased with machine-
    > I can not get the Mcafee software to allow me to register the
    > preloaded program. I believe that the previous person registered it
    > and since I do not know his email or password used I can not register
    > it for me.
    >
    > When I talked to tech support he stated that my account was on hold
    > and could not help me.
    >
    > I figure that I would just uninstall McAfee- then reload with the
    > disk provided (a cobranded dell version) I should be fine, but I want
    > to know what my account is on hold.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Dave-
    >

    > "Xanth" <xanth269@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > first off I got 2 notebooks from the dell outlet center and have
    > > ordered 3 desktops until about 2 years ago.
    > >
    > > I was having a tech issue with some software so I called tech
    > > support, they stated I have a problem with my account and could not
    > > help until it was straightened out.
    > > I was transferred to (India) customer service and had a very
    > > difficult timing with communicating to the service rep and she said
    > > she could not help me that I need to call another
    > > number.877-894-3355. I will try this tomorrow since its not a 24 hr
    > > #
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what could have caused a problem in my account.
    > > Obviously my CC was good and I got the shipment, does buying from
    > > the outlet center have its drawbacks like this????
    > >
    > > Dissatisfied customer with dells customer "no"support help.
    > >
    > > Dave-

    Ok so here's the deal one more time---
    9-14-2005 I purchased 2 refurb inspiron 6000 notebooks directly from dell...
    (my desktop is 2 years old my 1st PC from a dealer my built from scratch use
    to build before Windows 95, than lost interest in keeping up with it as
    family started to grow, etc...)
    Computers arrived and started to prepare them for 1 for my son 1 for my
    sister..
    The 1 I was setting up for my sis had a problem with MacAfee, it would not
    allow me to register the software, it would come up with an error message
    that the version installed was already registered. The other MacAfee was
    just fine.

    I called Dell to find out since it was co-branded with Dell on it.
    When I talked to tech support I was told my account was on hold and to talk
    to customer service.
    I did, they were also unable to assist me in resolving the issue and was
    told to call another number.(877-894-3355)
    So I called it, and yes there was something on the account and the rep was
    unsure of what it was but the cleared the account.

    Called Tech support back and they referred me to MacAfee.
    Did the chat help and then finally was told to call 800# for personal help.
    After 45 minutes, uninstalled, regediting, deleting temp files, etc we were
    about to goto MacAfee site to check my user info and guess what
    disconnected.
    So I did it my self and it worked.
    Reinstalled entire back-up CD and it works fine now.
    Obviously some sort of glitch on this 1 machine.

    on a side note I forgot how much stupid stuff the put on that had to be
    removed, AOL, QuickBooks, and the likes of other worthless software.

    So now that's the story, not bad with grammar, had a education and run a
    nice small contracting company in NYC, just that my time is short
    so when I post I try to type too fast and maybe cut a few corners when
    explaining myself.

    People judge other people too quickly in NG's and that's why I usually stay
    away from them to ask for help.

    Dave-

    "Xanth" <xanth269@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > first off I got 2 notebooks from the dell outlet center and have ordered 3
    > desktops until about 2 years ago.
    >
    > I was having a tech issue with some software so I called tech support,
    > they stated I have a problem with my account and could not help until it
    > was straightened out.
    > I was transferred to (India) customer service and had a very difficult
    > timing with communicating to the service rep and she said she could not
    > help me that I need to call another number.877-894-3355. I will try this
    > tomorrow since its not a 24 hr #
    >
    > Does anyone know what could have caused a problem in my account.
    > Obviously my CC was good and I got the shipment, does buying from the
    > outlet center have its drawbacks like this????
    >
    > Dissatisfied customer with dells customer "no"support help.
    >
    > Dave-

    That is odd. Shouldn't work that way. If it was me, I'd take the machine
    with the problem, press F12 at boot, and restore the factory image.

    Then I'd configure McAfee.

    Should clean it up.

    It WILL destroy all your data and everything you've done, though.

    Tom
> [...]
    >
    > "Xanth" <xanth269@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> first off I got 2 notebooks from the dell outlet center and have ordered
    >> 3 desktops until about 2 years ago.
    >>
    >> I was having a tech issue with some software so I called tech support,
    >> they stated I have a problem with my account and could not help until it
    >> was straightened out.
    >> I was transferred to (India) customer service and had a very difficult
    >> timing with communicating to the service rep and she said she could not
    >> help me that I need to call another number.877-894-3355. I will try this
    >> tomorrow since its not a 24 hr #
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what could have caused a problem in my account.
    >> Obviously my CC was good and I got the shipment, does buying from the
    >> outlet center have its drawbacks like this????
    >>
    >> Dissatisfied customer with dells customer "no"support help.

    Glad you got it working I am a pretty poor typist too. But I have been
    doing computer support for a major company for 10 years.

    When I buy a Dell PC either for work or home I usually just do a
    complete reinstall and do it from a XP disk so I don't have all the
    bloatware. The funniest part is when you do an order there is an
    option for a 6 mos trial of earthlink or aol. No matter which you pick
    you get both!

    The all in one virus firewall packages from Mcafee and Symantec are
    incredible hogs. I advise people to check with their company to see if
    they can us AV software at home as a perk or use AVG antivirus. There
    are also plenty of free very good firewall packages

    avg

    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

    http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/software/2043624/group-test
    -firewalls

    Wayne

    Xanth wrote:

> [...]
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > first off I got 2 notebooks from the dell outlet center and have
    > > ordered 3 desktops until about 2 years ago.
    > >
    > > I was having a tech issue with some software so I called tech
    > > support, they stated I have a problem with my account and could not
    > > help until it was straightened out.
    > > I was transferred to (India) customer service and had a very
    > > difficult timing with communicating to the service rep and she said
    > > she could not help me that I need to call another
    > > number.877-894-3355. I will try this tomorrow since its not a 24 hr
    > > #
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what could have caused a problem in my account.
    > > Obviously my CC was good and I got the shipment, does buying from
    > > the outlet center have its drawbacks like this????
    > >
    > > Dissatisfied customer with dells customer "no"support help.

    Well it works and I have nothing saved on the system yet.
    Did not know you could do a restore of factory image.

    System runs fine with what ever I did.

    Dave-

Dell Computers