Router as wireless bridge?

I am getting my son Xbox Live for his birthday. Someone told me I can use
a cheap wireless router as a wireless bridge. Is this true? If so, it may
be good since it looks to me that routers are a commodity item (cheap)
while bridges are an IT item (comparatively expensive).

I have a D-Link DI-624 802.11G router now.

Comments? Help?

Dave

"Generic Dave" <GenericDave@forgetaboutit.com> wrote in message
> I am getting my son Xbox Live for his birthday. Someone told me I can use
> a cheap wireless router as a wireless bridge. Is this true? If so, it
may
> be good since it looks to me that routers are a commodity item (cheap)
> while bridges are an IT item (comparatively expensive).
>
> I have a D-Link DI-624 802.11G router now.
>
> Comments? Help?
> Dave

Yes you can except that some do it and some don't. You'll have to look at
the router control software to see if it will do it for you. The good news
is that there are wireless bridges that aren't that expensive. The Linksys
WRT54GS lists for under $100 and I've seen it for as low as $60 or so on the
web though I can't seem to match that price tonight.
AG

Generic Dave <GenericDave@forgetaboutit.com> wrote in

> I am getting my son Xbox Live for his birthday. Someone told me I can
> use a cheap wireless router as a wireless bridge. Is this true? If
> so, it may be good since it looks to me that routers are a commodity
> item (cheap) while bridges are an IT item (comparatively expensive).
>
> I have a D-Link DI-624 802.11G router now.
>
> Comments? Help?
>
> Dave

I use the procedures in the link to make my Linksys BEFW11S4 router a
switch plugging it into the WatchGuard appliance so that I could still
have a wireless solution on my wired network. The principles are the same
for making any router a switch.

http://www.linksys.com/support/top10faqs/wrt54g/Connecting%20two%
20WRT54G%20routers%20together.asp

Duane :)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:06:57 GMT, Generic Dave
<GenericDave@forgetaboutit.com> wrote:

>I am getting my son Xbox Live for his birthday. Someone told me I can use
>a cheap wireless router as a wireless bridge. Is this true? If so, it may
>be good since it looks to me that routers are a commodity item (cheap)
>while bridges are an IT item (comparatively expensive).
>
>I have a D-Link DI-624 802.11G router now.

Nope. Won't work.

There are different types of bridges. If you buy a "cheap wireless
bridge", you're getting an "access point". Your DI-624 is a "wireless
router" which is really an ordinary ethernet router with an "access
point" in one box. The problem is that access points do not talk to
each other. They talk to client radios, client bridges, or game
adapters. Client radios and bridges are unique in that they can
bridge only one MAC address. You won't find too many of those these
days. Just about everything else on the client side is a "transparent
bridge" which is the same as a "game adapter". Their distinction is
that they can bridge multiple MAC addresses, which means you can hang
multiple (30) game consoles and computahs on one "game adapter" and
have it talk to your DI-624. That catch is that they are more
expensive than an "access point".

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

AG <atenor@email.com> wrote:
> "Generic Dave" <GenericDave@forgetaboutit.com> wrote in message
>> I am getting my son Xbox Live for his birthday. Someone told me I can use
>> a cheap wireless router as a wireless bridge. Is this true? If so, it
> may
>> be good since it looks to me that routers are a commodity item (cheap)
>> while bridges are an IT item (comparatively expensive).
>>
>> I have a D-Link DI-624 802.11G router now.

You want the X-box to talk to your router so he can play with someone else
across the internet?
Isn't that wht a wireless game adapter is for?
I see those for around $60. That's somewhat higher than a router, but it's
fit for the purpose.

---

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll probably look around for a cheap
"wireless game adapter". When I looked around Christmas, none were under
$100. I'll look again now.

Thanks again!