Sign in with
Your question

Need a hand choosing a mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2002 2:47:22 AM

Okay.. for the life of me, I'm full of too many indecisions and would love a little feed back here.

It's time for me to upgrade the slug again, so I've been doing active reading for the last week now. What I'm deciding on buying is this:

P4 2.26 Northwood
512 megs Samsung PC2700
Antec Performance Plus 1080 - with side panel
mobo = ?

What I'm carrying over to the new system from what I'm using now is:

ATi Radeon 8500 64 meg
Sony Trinitron G400
SB Audigy Platinum External
3x Quantum Fireball 30 gig
1x Quantum Fireball 8.5 gig
1 Pull out drive bay
Sony 8x/4x/32x CDR-W
Acer 52x CDR
3.5 floppy drive
zip drive
Ethernet Card

Any suggestions on what might be the best mobo for me to buy? I'll likely be over-clocking the CPU and ram a bit at some point in time, but not right away. Aswell, I do not need a raid enabled board. I've always used Asus boards in my systems, in this scenario though, I'm not entirely certain that's the way I want to go.

Any thoughts, idea's and reasonings out there would be MORE then greatly appreciated.

Thanks, :) 
Kevin.

"Only those who attempt the absurd, acheive the impossible." - Albert Einstein

More about : hand choosing mobo

June 1, 2002 3:01:15 AM

I am looking at almost the exact same setup.

I am looking at the Gigabyte GA-8iEXP i845E mobo or the Intel D850EMV2L i850E. The Intel board is more expensive and the feature set doesn't seem to be as great, but Intel quality is pretty high.

I am going through the same thing you are, there are so many choices to make. I was actually going to build an AMD box, using the ASUS A7V333, but have been reading that people have been having problems with that mobo.

I don't know if this helps you. good luck.
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2002 6:12:18 AM

I'm going to have to say the Asus P4T533-C, because it performs well, overclocks great, uses PC1066, and has both USB 2.0 and Ethernet connections built in.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 1, 2002 6:44:06 PM

Well, I think I'm going to hold off on the motherboard issue for a bit. Soyo just released info on 10 new boards on the 28th, there's two I find interesting. The SY-P4X333 (VIA P4X333/8235 chipset), and the SY-P4S-648 (SiS 648/963 chipset). I think I'm going to wait, and see how these compare to the Asus P4T533-C, and the P4B533-V.

Thanks for your responses you two. :) 

"Only those who attempt the absurd, acheive the impossible." - Albert Einstein
!