Boot-up with Two Operating Systems

I had Windows 98 loaded on one partition, and Windows XP on another. I could not figure out how to uninstall Windows 98, so I deleted it and reformated the partition. Now at boot-up, I get the screen asking which operating system I wanted to load. The screen times out in 30 seconds. Then Windows XP loads properly. I need to get rid of the sellection screen (XP or 98). While the sellection screen is up, F8 dose not work nor can I make a sellection.
I can only sit and watch the 30 seconds time out.

How can I get rid of the sellection screen?

Thanks, Hermrc @aol.com
3 answers Last reply
More about boot operating systems

    Do a search for a file called "boot.ini" You may have to
    go under Tools options and unhide protected system files
    to get to it. Open the file using Notepad or some text
    editor program. Remove the entry for Windows 98. System
    should then default boot to XP.

    START - RUN - type MSCONFIG in the box.. then click on the tab BOOT.INI..

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 21:21:03 -0700, Hermrc wrote:

    > I had Windows 98 loaded on one partition, and Windows XP on another. I
    > could not figure out how to uninstall Windows 98, so I deleted it and
    > reformated the partition. Now at boot-up, I get the screen asking which
    > operating system I wanted to load. The screen times out in 30 seconds.
    > Then Windows XP loads properly. I need to get rid of the sellection
    > screen (XP or 98). While the sellection screen is up, F8 dose not work
    > nor can I make a sellection. I can only sit and watch the 30 seconds
    > time out.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the sellection screen?
    >
    > Thanks, Hermrc @aol.com

    Several ways to approach this problem. Here's a few of them:

    Method 1: Start> Run> MSCONFIG> Boot.ini page. Click button to check all
    boot paths.

    Method 2: Use System Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery> Settings>
    System Startup and click the Edit button. This will open boot.ini in a
    Notepad window. Remove the lines for Win98. Save your changes (File> Save).
    Close Notepad and OK your way out of System Properties.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 98 Boot Windows XP