Asus CUSL2 bios update problem - PLEASE HELP

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have just done an upgrade on an old PIII 700 machine and it all went wrong.

I installed a PIII 800 chip and after setting the cpu in the bios the machine booted up. Howerver, it locked during POST with an error saying something about "BIOS CPU ???? version.....". Somthing like that anyway. I figured that the problem was the old bios. Version 1001. Maybe it was not reccognising the newer cpu.

Going back to bios I was able to set the front side bus to 100mhz (thus running the CPU at 600mhz) and this allowed the machine to boot.

I downloaded the lastest bios version, restarted the machine with a DOS boot disk, and installed it. Version 1009. The installation process went with out a hitch and after successfully saving the old bios and running the install with the new bios I had a message saying.... " Flash successful. You must restart you machine, go to BIOS and 'Load bios defaults'. "

Upon restarting the machine, I found to my horror that it would not POST. Nothing. When I turn the machine on the harddrive light comes on then off, the A: drive like does the same but then the machine locks up. Furthermore, the monitor light remains yellow. It would normally go green when it is recieving a signal. But now.. Nothing.

What can I do? Is there a way to reset the bios on this board?

Please help.

<font color=purple><b>Brad</b></font color=purple>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Reset the BIOS by contacting the two solder points with a circle around them, using a flathead screwdriver. You may have to remove your video card and use the onboard video to enter BIOS. Also, your PIII 700 was better than the PIII 800 because, it will overclock easily to 933. The 133MHz bus speeed makes for a large increase in performance.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crashman

Which two solder points would this be? I can see one set near the battery marked 'CE502' and another set near the IDE ports marked 'CE32'.

The PIII 700 chip that I took out was one of the old 100mhz fsb variety. The 800III I am putting in is a 133mhz fsb version. It should be fine once I get this bios thing sorted out.

Thanks for your help.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FIXED!!

I could not find exactly which solder points to short out, so I removed the battery for a few seconds.

Once I had done that I removed the AGP video card and plugged the monitor into the onboard video output. Low and behold, it worked. I was able to get into bios and set it up again, restart the machine, turn it off, put the AGP card back in and now I am installing windows.

Thanks everyone for your input

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those solder points would have been about 2 inches from the bottom edge and about an inch from the front edge. But you got it anyway.

Now, there was only 1 version of the 700, the 700E, which was 100MHz FSB. BUT it was also well known to easily overclock to 933. In fact, the sucess rate was over 98%. All you would have had to do to have a 933 at 133 would have been to raise the core voltage to around 1.75v and the bus frequency to 133, both are BIOS settings. Your 700E would STOMP your 800EB if you simply overclocked it to 933.

Did I mention overclocking in this manner usually requires no additional parts or money (FREE), the processor at 933 is usually 100% reliable, and all you would have done is changed to small settings in BIOS?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?