Disabling Messenger

I use Zone Alarm as a fire wall. It is showing numerous repeated attempts
by "Messenger" to access the internet. Don't know if this is a problem or
not since ZA is blocking it in each case. I seem to recall an earlier
posting on a method to disable messenger. Any help here would be
appreciated.
Don
3 answers Last reply
More about disabling messenger

    Unfortunately, Microsoft seems to think that everyone must
    use Messenger. Here is a way you can prevent it from
    starting up each time. Open my computer, C drive, Program
    files. Find the folder called Messenger. Just rename
    it. Call it Messengerbak or something. Since you are
    renaming it, XP will not be able to locate it correctly so
    it won't load.

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 08:41:06 -0400, Don wrote:

    > I use Zone Alarm as a fire wall. It is showing numerous repeated attempts
    > by "Messenger" to access the internet. Don't know if this is a problem or
    > not since ZA is blocking it in each case. I seem to recall an earlier
    > posting on a method to disable messenger. Any help here would be
    > appreciated.
    > Don

    I've effectively disabled Windows Messenger on my machine by disallowing
    its startup in its Options menus. Have also disabled its startup in OE and
    Outlook's Options. If using OE, the View> Layout should be altered so that
    Contacts are not displayed. If OE starts too slowly after this change in
    Layout, there is a registry tweak to restore its normal startup speed.

    The *.VBS download on this page by MVP Doug Knox will disable Windows
    Messenger and make that OE registry change for you:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Having the same problem, I just press ctrl+shift+esc (or alt+ctrl+del) and
    find msmsgs and terminate it.

    "Don" <donraysr@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I use Zone Alarm as a fire wall. It is showing numerous repeated attempts
    > by "Messenger" to access the internet. Don't know if this is a problem or
    > not since ZA is blocking it in each case. I seem to recall an earlier
    > posting on a method to disable messenger. Any help here would be
    > appreciated.
    > Don

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP