Linking remote clients to a wireless access point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 12:22:51 AM

Need help configuring equipment to allow condo owners to access our marina
WAP. The marina antenna is set for maximum coverage for the marina - 170
boats. Makes sense. Using a +11 DB external antenna and a Linksys WRT54G.
Seems to work well.

And yes, I know that if usage takes off we will need to up our high speed
line and possibly service the marina with two access points.

We have a few owners of slips in the marina, so they have rights to access
the wireless system, who also have condos and would like to be able to
access the AP from the condos. The condos are on the opposite side of the
marina building with the antenna on the roof of the 2nd story of the
building. Condos are probably 150-200 feet away from the AP antenna.
Unfortunately there is not LOS due to the shape of the roof.

Currently I get access via a tin cantenna using a D-link DWL-122. The
cantenna is on my porch outside the window where I have my PC setup. I get
signal strength of 2 of 5 bars - per Windows XP. Speed 11 Mbps. Network
stumbler says noise -92 dB and signal alternating between -80 and -74 dB.
I run download tests from verizon that typically run 1.3 Mbps.

Occasionally, MS tells me the rate has dropped below 11 Mbps - sometimes to
1, but generally returns. Also occasionally I lose the connection but only
momentarily.

I also recently purchased a Hawking HWU54D for a neighbor who is running it
from inside a window with a USB extension cord. That is a self contained
USB connected wireless client with a +6 dBi directional antenna. After 20
hours of tests, it seems to work OK.

So hopefully the commercial Hawking solution will work for other condo
owners.

Issues
------
My concern is

1) for other condos that are about 50-75 feet farther away where these
two technologies may not work;

2) someone who may not want to have their PC right at the window.

Potential Solutions
------------------
A) For the distance issue, it would seem to me that they could use a Yagi
antenna connected to an access point, say another WRT54G using 3rd party
software to function in bridge mode. Perhaps putting the access point in a
watertight box on the porch (on the deck or just below the deck for the unit
above). Would need power to it - a) could use an outdoor extension cord
from an existing outside electric box (may need some kind of waterproof
cover ??); or b) power over Ethernet?

The Ethernet cable could come in a window (maybe or drill a hole in the wall
?) and then connect to another WRT54G AP for local wireless or run the
Ethernet cable however.

B) Raise the marina antenna. Would need to be additional 10 to 12 feet
higher to have LOS to all buildings. A fairly tall pole. Would such be
feasible?
How expensive?
Could I use PVC pipe?

How much loss of power from the antenna cable extension?

Also I would be concerned about loss of coverage to the marina building
directly below if the antenna were so high up. Still have to have the
antenna on the front of the building, vs. the top center of the building to
avoid losing LOS to various boats.

C1) Repeater - Tried the Linksys WRE54G. Set it inside a window with LOS to
the condos. No improvement in signal to my condo. I am guessing due to the
small antenna that comes with it.

C2) Could I get another WRT54G, put a similar high gain antenna - this unit
on the opposite side of the building - the side facing the condos with clear
LOS to the condos - get the Sveasoft firmware and enable WDS mode? If I
understand it, that would allow WDS connection to the primary AP and allow
the 2nd AP to serve as a normal AP with great LOS to the condos. The
antennas of thw two units would still have the roof between them.

Possibly run Ethernet between the two AP within the marina building to
avoid the need for WDS mode.

Not sure the marina folks would let us "condo" folks do this. There are 26
condo + slip owners but 144 slip only owners. Separate management
associations.

Other suggestions or variations on the above would be appreciated.
--
Bob Alston

---
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 12:36:45 AM

"Bob Alston" <bobalston AT aol DOT com> wrote in message
> [...]
unit
> on the opposite side of the building - the side facing the condos with
clear
> LOS to the condos - get the Sveasoft firmware and enable WDS mode? If I
> understand it, that would allow WDS connection to the primary AP and allow
> the 2nd AP to serve as a normal AP with great LOS to the condos. The
> antennas of thw two units would still have the roof between them.
>
> Possibly run Ethernet between the two AP within the marina building to
> avoid the need for WDS mode.
>
> Not sure the marina folks would let us "condo" folks do this. There are
26
> condo + slip owners but 144 slip only owners. Separate management
> associations.
>

> Other suggestions or variations on the above would be appreciated.

One other option I think I overlooked, along the line of running USB client,
was to add a Yagi antenna outside to a Buffalo WLI-USB 54G wireless adapter
in a sealed container next to the antenna, and then run the USB cable, using
an extension, inside the condo.

Bob

---
a b F Wireless
July 24, 2004 12:29:29 AM

Bob Alston <bobalston AT aol DOT com> wrote:
> access the AP from the condos. The condos are on the opposite side of the
> marina building with the antenna on the roof of the 2nd story of the
> building. Condos are probably 150-200 feet away from the AP antenna.
> Unfortunately there is not LOS due to the shape of the roof.

I would think that another WAP, different channel (1,6,11) with a sector
antenna on the other side of the building would be the best thing.

---