P4 533FSB

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm leaning towards the Asus P4T533-C, as it seems to have the most features of the i850 boards. i850 is as good as it gets, when used with PC1066.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

BlackHand

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
I have the same question. However, I don’t want to go for RRAM MB. I like DDR RAM better because PC2700 DDR RAM is almost as fast as RRAM and they are OVERCLOCKABLE! There are 3 chipsets for P4 supporting PC2700. The chipset from SIS is the slowest, so I will not consider buying it. The I845G chipset does not officially support PC2700. I don’t know if the system with I845G chipset might crash if giving a PC2700 DDR RAM. And for VIA P4x333, because they don’t have the license to produce P4 chipset, many good Motherboard makers, such as ASUS, don’t make the motherboard for VIA. And the motherboard from the VIA don’t seem to be very reliable neither. Any ideas about if I should get a MB with I845G or VIA P4x333? If I can be sure that I845G chip have no problem supporting PC2700, I will get a P4B533 MB from ASUS. I always like ASUS’s motherboard, because there are stable and easy to overclock.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
A few things I'd like to point out here:

The P4T533-C simply sucks because the FSB is limited to 150MHz.

Secondly, the I845G is a great chipset, but the P4B533 is based on the 845E not the 845G.

Most reviews I've seen compare the VIA P4X333 or the 845G to the SiS 645 or 645DX reference board.

As for performance overclocking, I recommend the P4S533. It has the most overclocking features, save the ability to lock the PCI/AGP bus. It supports up to 1.9V VCore and 2.9V Memory. It has the 4:6 FSB to RAM ratio, that allows for 400MHz+ memory at 133MHz and above. At that rate, it would outperform all other competing DDR motherboards.

However, if you're going for an Intel chipset, I recommen the IT7. It sports up 3.2V memory and the unoffical ratio to run memory at 350MHz+ on a 533MHz FSB. It's an extremely good overclocker.

You might also want to look at the BD7II or the BD7.

If you're going RDRAM then get the ABit TH7-II and some 40ns Samsung RDRAM or Kingston PC1066.

If you're going DDR RAM then get the P4S533 and some DDR400 or some Samsung PC2700 and overclock that. With some extra voltage, 450MHz is not unheard of at a 150MHz FSB.

If you're going to go with the BD7 or TH7-II, make sure you download the latest BIOS before overclocking. There is a cold boot issue with these boards when you lock the PCI bus and do some extreme overclocking. The latest BIOS solves this issue.

I don't recommend the P4B533 because it's not a major contestant among overclockers as of yet. I have heard quite a few good things about the P4B266-C however. I'm sure the P4B533 is a good board but I haven't heard too much about it in terms of overclocking potential.

Generally, with a DDR RAM mobo, you'll want something that provides high VCore, and high VMem so you can overclock the thing.

In terms of stability, you can't go wrong with Intel chipset based motherboards. Outside that, I've heard nothing but praise about the P4S533. It does have that 4 bank PC2700 limit but that's nothing a little extra voltage can't work around.

With that said, if you really have your eye on a 845G motherboard, then I suggest you look at the Abit BG7, I've heard some good things about it. I don't recommend VIA.

Sorry, if this sounds sloppy, but I'm really tired.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you forget to mention you were wrong? Samsung PC800 goes to 1066, that's a 33% overclock, can you do that with PC2700? And the latest PC1066 is 3.2ns, which my calculator says is good for over 350MHz. And it performs better. I won't be loosing any sleep over the lack of VIA garbage on name brand P4 boards either.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Declaring a board "sucks" simply because the FSB is limited to 150? I've read a bios update is in the works, and it seems ridiculous to declare it "sucks" because of this feature.

Have you used the P4T533-C? Do you have one? Not trying to be contentious here, but it seems like a prejudiced opinion.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
150MHz FSB limit = limited overclocking, especially for a Northwood B (that starts out at 133MHz). That sucks in my book. It's an opinion, man, relax. Get yourself a ABit TH7-II. You'll probably be happier with it. Many people are disappointed with the P4T533-C over at Sharkey Forums and [H]ardForums.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: