Jun 2, 2002
First off here are the components which i am using to boot:

Intel 2.53 Ghz Processor
2x256 Kingston 32ns Rdram
Asus p4t533-c Motherboard
Enermax EG465P-VE(FM) (431 Watt) Power Supply
Toshiba SD-M1612 (16x) Dvd-Rom
Gainward Geforce 4600 750xp golden sample Video Card
Western Digital 120gb Special Edition (8mb Cache)
Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

I do not know if all that information is necessary but i suppose its relevant. The first time i booted up the Pc it passed the power on self test, and since i had the asus board set on jumper free mode, i set the processor speed to 2.53 ghz. I set the dvd drive as the first boot option, inserted windows 2k into the drive, and restarted after saving the changes, again it passed the power on self test. I got to 88% of the format of the hard drive under the windows 2k installation, then the computer froze. I turned it off. Waited a little while, then restarted, and now it does not pass the POST. Since i have the motherboard set to talk instead of beep, it says "system failed memory test" over and over and over again. I get nothing on the screen, and the system wont boot, all six fans pop on hard drive starts up but no boot, just that annoying talking. I called Kingston for support, since ASUS does not have a toll free line in the states, and they said the memory could in fact just be bad. I was wondering if anyone had any further information on this subject, because kingston thought the sollution was just to through some more memory at me, and im not sure if that would fix the problem. The system did boot a few times that is, so everything should of been configured correctly. If anyone has any expertise in this field i would be very thankful, specifically if you think that bad memory could be the case, or if not what else could be bad. Have a great night, i thank you for your quick and courteous response.

System failed memory test is definitely your RAM you show having 2 256 modules try using them one at a time in #1 slot and see if you can pinpoint which one is bad, its against high odds that both modules would be bad but its possible.

joshfiles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
Thank you very much for the help, i will contact for new ram first thing monday, have a great night, again thank you for the support.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
LOL. My components I'm getting Monday are the exact same thing! Exact same setup, everybit. lol.

Maybe I'll think before overlocking this proc to 2.8...

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

G

I'm upgrading right now and someone recommended the same motherboard to me, the P4T533-C. What made you choose that one? I'm just wondering what makes this one so popular. The person I talked to recommended that I get PC1066 memory though. what made you choose RDRAM?
One other question I had, are there any power requirements for that motherboard? I was looking at a case that comes with a 300W powersupply, is that sufficient?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I chose the P4T533-C because the Iwill P4533-N had it's IDE slots at the very bottom of the mobo, and my tower case is huge, and I know it wouldn't be able to reach without some obscene 36 inch cables.

I chose RDRAM because it performs the best with the Pentium 4, and PC1066 is faster than PC800 RDRAM (duh). With DDR333, DDR almost catches up to RDRAM. That's where PC1066 comes in.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
And no, 300 watts probably isn't enough.

joshfiles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
pc1066 ram is rdram, a 300 watt power supply should be sufficient, i think the minimum is somewhere around 250 watt. I chose that motherboard because it supports usb 2.0, 533 fsb, and it officially supports 1066 rdram, besides i got really lucky on the processor. the weekend intel announced their price cuts, all the processors dropped in price, even the 2.53 which in the end was not reduced in price at all by intel, so i guess the place i ordered from anticipated incorrectly, i got it for 485, which i thought was a pretty good deal.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, it really does sound like bad memory, and there may be a bit of bad memory floating around since this is a new type.

But it could also be bad power TOO the memory, highly unlikely.

It could also be the board itself. And it might not even be a physical defect, Asus may need to provide a BIOS update.

Here's what I would try. Reset the BIOS and see if it allows you to enter BIOS settup. Then set it for PC800 memory and see if it works. If so, it's probably memory that should have not passed the verification stage at the manufacturer.

If you cannot enter BIOS settup after resetting, use the switches to set it to the 100MHz bus.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Any one know where I can find PC1066? I've looked everywhere I can think of.

G

Here's something straight from Asus' P4T533-C webpage:

"Use only the tested and qualified 16-bit 1066MHz RIMM listed below. Other RIMM manufactured by other vendors may not be suitable for this motherboard.

Vendor Type Size Model
Samsung 1066-35 128MB MR16R0828BN1-CM9"

RobB

joshfiles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
I tried resetting the CMOS and the bios settings, no luck, i tried manually setting the jumpers to 19 multiplier and 100mhz fsb, no luck, i tried two sticks of 512 mb rdram at 40ns, and no luck, but those sticks of ram i think are also bad. They work in my intel d850mvse, but they have noticable glitches sometimes, like a failure to start up and incorrect characters on the screen. I think the asus board is just very very picky about the memory. I considered the power supply too, so iwent and bought a new one, no luck. I think i really tried everything, if you think it might not be the memory and it might be the mother board please explain why,and how certain you are, thank you very much, im calling kingston today, and if its the motherboard im really [-peep-] because asus has no RMA service i can contact in the usa by phone.

joshfiles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
about hte suggested memory issue, that is a bunch of bull [-peep-] if you ask me, kingston memory is made from samsung semiconductors most of the time anyway, they just assemble. I took taht into considerations when i got the memory, and 128 mb of 35ns ram is not 256 mb sticks of 32ns ram, and is way to constricting to be absolutely true. In the book the only ram it states as positevely NOT working is NEC ram.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
ahhh... CompUPlus - haven't heard that name in a while. Their prices are OK, but do they still rape you on the shipping?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Hmm, I paid $30 shipping on a $480 order (CPU, video card & audio card) -- not bad.

joshfiles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
if you want a deal on shipping, order from novapcs.com, there prices arent the best but their good enough. I live in PA, their in NY i order 5-6 ground ups, gets here the next day, and they charge somewhere around a nickle. Crazy good deals, really good vendor, and very nice informative web site, know exactly what your buying and if they have it in stock, check it out.