Is installation on a second machine allowed?

I upgraded my laptop a year ago to XP Home Edition and it
has really helped me a lot. I have a desktop, currently
running 2000 Professional.

I read in one of the UK consumer magazines that you are
allowed a second installation, for you own use only, in
such a situation. (It make a lot of sense to keep the two
machines compatible.) Can anyone verify that for me,
please?

I remember that when I upgraded to XP, I was almost all
the way through the fairly painless but lengthy process
before it prompted me for my registration key and I am
loath to do that with the desk top, only to be locked out.

Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks in advance.

GeoffreyG

Windows XP cannot be installed on a second computer using
the same license (Product Key). The article you mentioned
was likely referring to a retail version of Office XP.

In any case, you'll need to purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version"
of Windows XP Professional in order to upgrade over Win 2000.
Windows XP Home Edition will not upgrade over Win 2000.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"GeoffreyG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

|I upgraded my laptop a year ago to XP Home Edition and it
| has really helped me a lot. I have a desktop, currently
| running 2000 Professional.
|
| I read in one of the UK consumer magazines that you are
| allowed a second installation, for you own use only, in
| such a situation. (It make a lot of sense to keep the two
| machines compatible.) Can anyone verify that for me,
| please?
|
| I remember that when I upgraded to XP, I was almost all
| the way through the fairly painless but lengthy process
| before it prompted me for my registration key and I am
| loath to do that with the desk top, only to be locked out.
|
| Can anyone help, please?
|
| Many thanks in advance.
|
| GeoffreyG

Thank you both very much and for your very quick and
helpful reply. At least I know now! I am not trying to be
a cheapskate, but if I had been allowed to, why not?

Also thank you for the tip on Win 2000, which I am sure
will be uesful to others. Having got XP Home on one
machine, that's what I would have bought for my desktop.
I will no go for Pro.

Regards

GeoffreyG

--------------------------------

>"GeoffreyG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message:

>|I upgraded my laptop a year ago to XP Home Edition and
it
>| has really helped me a lot. I have a desktop,
currently
>| running 2000 Professional.
>|
>| I read in one of the UK consumer magazines that you
are
>| allowed a second installation, for you own use only,
in
>| such a situation. (It make a lot of sense to keep the
two
>| machines compatible.) Can anyone verify that for me,
>| please?
>|
>| I remember that when I upgraded to XP, I was almost
all
>| the way through the fairly painless but lengthy
process
>| before it prompted me for my registration key and I am
>| loath to do that with the desk top, only to be locked
out.

>| Can anyone help, please?
>|
>| Many thanks in advance.
>|
>| GeoffreyG
>.

On the back of the Windows XP box, please read the statement
"For installation and use on one computer"
(see License Agreement for license terms).

To access the License Agreement on your XP computer, go to:

Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter.

Then click on "End-User License Agreement".

You can also open XP's "Help and Support" and type: EULA
and hit enter. Click on "Questions and answers about the EULA".

The End-User License Agreement states quite clearly:

"You may install, use, access, display and run one copy
of the Software on a single computer...."

--

| Thank you both very much and for your very quick and
| helpful reply. At least I know now! I am not trying to be
| a cheapskate, but if I had been allowed to, why not?
|
| Also thank you for the tip on Win 2000, which I am sure
| will be uesful to others. Having got XP Home on one
| machine, that's what I would have bought for my desktop.
| I will no go for Pro.
|
| Regards
|
| GeoffreyG

| >|
| >| I read in one of the UK consumer magazines that you
| are
| >| allowed a second installation, for you own use only,
| in
| >| such a situation. (It make a lot of sense to keep the
| two
| >| machines compatible.) Can anyone verify that for me,
| >| please?
| >|
| >| I remember that when I upgraded to XP, I was almost
| all
| >| the way through the fairly painless but lengthy
| process
| >| before it prompted me for my registration key and I am
| >| loath to do that with the desk top, only to be locked
| out.
| >|
| >| Can anyone help, please?
| >|
| >| Many thanks in advance.
| >|
| >| GeoffreyG
| >.

"GeoffreyG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I upgraded my laptop a year ago to XP Home Edition and it
> has really helped me a lot. I have a desktop, currently
> running 2000 Professional.
>
> I read in one of the UK consumer magazines that you are
> allowed a second installation, for you own use only, in
> such a situation. (It make a lot of sense to keep the two
> machines compatible.) Can anyone verify that for me,
> please?
>
> I remember that when I upgraded to XP, I was almost all
> the way through the fairly painless but lengthy process
> before it prompted me for my registration key and I am
> loath to do that with the desk top, only to be locked out.
>
> Can anyone help, please?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> GeoffreyG

No. For Windows XP {and all Windows OSs} the EULA is one installation per
license. You need to purchase a second license or an Windows XP upgrade
version for your second computer.

Do not know, but consumer magazine may have been referring to Office or
confusing Office with Windows. The EULA for retail versions of Office
multiple installations. Office XP and 2003, for example, can be installed
on a desktop and laptop for a single user. Office 2003 Standard for
Students and Teachers can be installed in three computer {any type} in the
same family for multiple non-commercial users.

In all cases you need to read the EULA. In your Windows XP computer go to
Help and Support and type EULA in the search box.

Don

papa

No, your license for Windows is only good for one computer. A new license
must be purchased for each additional computer.

Microsoft did allow the user to install Office on his/her laptop as well as
the desktop. That is probably what that magazine was referring to.

"GeoffreyG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I upgraded my laptop a year ago to XP Home Edition and it
> has really helped me a lot. I have a desktop, currently
> running 2000 Professional.
>
> I read in one of the UK consumer magazines that you are
> allowed a second installation, for you own use only, in
> such a situation. (It make a lot of sense to keep the two
> machines compatible.) Can anyone verify that for me,
> please?
>
> I remember that when I upgraded to XP, I was almost all
> the way through the fairly painless but lengthy process
> before it prompted me for my registration key and I am
> loath to do that with the desk top, only to be locked out.
>
> Can anyone help, please?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> GeoffreyG

Greetings --

No, of course not. But you already knew this, didn't you? After
all, the WinXP box is clearly marked as being for installation on only
a single computer, and as you'd have had to have read and agreed to
the EULA during the first installation, you know perfectly well that
you are not be able to legitimately use that license on two machines.

As it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating systems,
it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA, if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which
it is installed. The only way in which WinXP licensing differs from
that of earlier versions of Windows is that Microsoft has finally
added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation,
to prevent (or at least make more difficult) multiple installations
using a single license

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: