Need Help with newly built PC Bios

G

I just recently completed building my first pc ever and am now in the second step of trying to figure out why it doesnt work correctly. It consists of a soltek SL-75DRV5(based on via kt333), 512 megs of pc2700, geforce ti4600, and an Athlon xp1900+. The computer turns on and seems to operate fine but when i go to the bios it says that the fsb is 100mhz (should be 133) and that the ram is clocked at 166 (should be 333 i think). It also says that the clock speed for the processor is 1200mhz (should be 1600mhz). I have no idea what im supposed to do to fix this and am in desperate need of help. I aint sleepin till this bad boys up and running.

Thanks,
Lyle

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The computer turns on and seems to operate fine but when i go to the bios it says that the fsb is 100mhz (should be 133) and that the ram is clocked at 166 (should be 333 i think).
I'm not familiar with your mobo, but I might be able to help. The RAM is running technically running at 166Mhz, but is 333Mhz because it is DDR (double-data rate). Data is transmitted on BOTH rising and falling clock edges, so it transmits data at 333Mhz speeds.

Now for the processor. You should be able to simply set the FSB to 133Mhz in the BIOS. If the processor is meant to run on a 133Mhz bus then the multiplier for a XP1900 is 12. Therefore, if the FSB is set to 100Mhz, then the CPU will be underclocked to 12X100 = 1200Mhz. So, you just need to find out how to change the FSB from 100 to 133. It should be in the BIOS, but I don't know for sure because I've never worked with your motherboard.

And of course, check your motherboard manual. It should tell you how to set the FSB. If its not the BIOS, then it must be a dipswitch or jumper on the motherboard.

GOOD LUCK!

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey found this link that confirms the FSB is BIOS-adjustable. GO HERE:

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.nz/ocnz/mobo/drv5/2.shtml" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.co.nz/ocnz/mobo/drv5/2.shtml</A>

Oh wait NOTE THE FOLLOWING at the bottom of the page in that link:
"The board does come with lots of overclocking options but the majority of them are not BIOS adjustable. The FSB is adjustable all the way to 233 MHz, however, users need to set the FSB dips to 133MHz mode first (Just like the 100/133 jumper). "

So it looks like you need to adjust the dip switch for 133Mhz FSB operation.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 06/02/02 01:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>