Dlink Won't Accept US Mail?? WTF??

I got an RMA number from DLINK for my dead wireless card.
Only problem is that they claim to RETURN all prodct received
by US Mail.
Driving all the way to UPS and paying more to ship it costs
more than a new card.
Anybody tested the dlink policy? Is it a bluff or are they
really gonna reject me?

Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
HP200LX 10MB + MODEM + LEATHER CASE

    mike <spamme0@juno.com> wrote:
    >Anybody tested the dlink policy? Is it a bluff or are they
    >really gonna reject me?

    How are you going to know/prove that they got it? When you call them
    up to check on the status of your repair, and they say it never
    arrived, what are you going to do?

    --
    William Smith

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:56:26 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com> wrote:

    >I got an RMA number from DLINK for my dead wireless card.
    >Only problem is that they claim to RETURN all prodct received
    >by US Mail.

    Well, I don't blame DLink. I get deliveries from DHL, UPS, Fedex, and
    USPS at my office. The only one that screws things up almost every
    time is the USPS. The most common problem is that USPS will not
    attempt more than one delivery. I think this is DLlink's problem with
    the USPS. If the letter carrier appears during break time or lunch
    and there's nobody available to receive the package, they take the
    package back to the local post office and never try again. Then DLink
    gets to stand in line to pickup the package. I waste about an hour
    every two weeks or so standing in line. The letter carrier is
    apparently also illiterate and cannot fill out the form with some clue
    as to the number of packages or whom they were from. So, I get to
    stand in line to get some advertising manure. It gets really
    obnoxious if I'm at the end of the letter carriers route. If they're
    running late, they don't even attempt delivery and just plaster a note
    on the door and leave, even if I'm in the office. I've complained and
    gotten nowhere.

    >Driving all the way to UPS and paying more to ship it costs
    >more than a new card.

    So, let UPS or Fedex drive to you. Open and account and schedule a
    pickup. There are also lots of copy shops that will ship them for
    you. Most of the local post offices have Fedex or UPS pickup boxes in
    front. If you really live away from civilization, find a likely
    business that does shipping and have them ship it for you. Be sure to
    grab the hideously long tracking number so you can follow your
    shipment to DLinks back door.

    >Anybody tested the dlink policy? Is it a bluff or are they
    >really gonna reject me?

    Sorry. I've never returned anything to DLink. If you do elect to
    ship it via USPS, I strongly certified (not registered) mail with
    return receipt:

    http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/returnreceiptservice.htm

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    William P.N. Smith wrote in news:s8u1g01f6bhlf4q8r305lc4a3j40t69dml@
    4ax.com:

    > How are you going to know/prove that they got it? When you call them
    > up to check on the status of your repair, and they say it never
    > arrived, what are you going to do?

    Pay a 1.00 or two for delivery confirmation?

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    call ups for package pick-up
    they'll come get it and everything else you might want to ship for a year or
    so for an $8 one time fee- plus shipping cost, and might even give you a
    discount on the shipping costs.

    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:56:26 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I got an RMA number from DLINK for my dead wireless card.
    > >Only problem is that they claim to RETURN all prodct received
    > >by US Mail.
    >
    > Well, I don't blame DLink. I get deliveries from DHL, UPS, Fedex, and
    > USPS at my office. The only one that screws things up almost every
    > time is the USPS. The most common problem is that USPS will not
    > attempt more than one delivery. I think this is DLlink's problem with
    > the USPS. If the letter carrier appears during break time or lunch
    > and there's nobody available to receive the package, they take the
    > package back to the local post office and never try again. Then DLink
    > gets to stand in line to pickup the package. I waste about an hour
    > every two weeks or so standing in line. The letter carrier is
    > apparently also illiterate and cannot fill out the form with some clue
    > as to the number of packages or whom they were from. So, I get to
    > stand in line to get some advertising manure. It gets really
    > obnoxious if I'm at the end of the letter carriers route. If they're
    > running late, they don't even attempt delivery and just plaster a note
    > on the door and leave, even if I'm in the office. I've complained and
    > gotten nowhere.

    On the other hand, Fedex is not exactly what you'd call flexible. I made the
    mistake of ordering a rather expensive item which the vendor shipped via
    Fedex. I gave them my home address, but then got caught up in a work project
    that kept me at my desk until late into the evening, for weeks in a row.
    None of my neighbors were available to sign for the package, and I did not
    want it just left on my doorstep.

    After my first failed-delivery notice, I called Fedex to get the delivery
    address changed to my office. They politely explained that this was
    impossible, that I would have to send the thing BACK TO THE VENDOR and have
    them resend it to my office address. I offered to pick it up myself (by this
    time I got a second failed-delivery notice), and Fedex agreed to put a hold
    on the package and get back to me about where to pick it up. They didn't
    call back for two or three days, I got a third and final failed-delivery
    notice (after which they automatically return to sender), and I called them
    again. This person brought up the phone log, saw all of the discussion we
    had had, explained that apparently NONE of what had been discussed on the
    phone had been relayed to dispatching on the ground, and that in any case,
    Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages. They don't even
    publicize the addresses of their dispatching depots. They finally made a
    fourth delivery attempt to me on a Saturday, at a time I agreed specifically
    to be home, and the issue was resolved.

    Moral: Fedex, like Microsoft, is designed to do one thing extremely well,
    and that one thing is the one that satisfies at least 80% of the customer
    base. If you are unfortunate enough to become one of the 20% with a special
    requirement, you are just as screwed as if you used USPS.

    Nota bene: if you have a business account, magic happens, doors open, all
    sorts of things become possible. But if you are an ordinary user, better get
    all your ducks in a row.

    gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages. They don't even
    > publicize the addresses of their dispatching depots. They finally made a
    > fourth delivery attempt to me on a Saturday, at a time I agreed specifically
    > to be home, and the issue was resolved.

    I used to do "hold for pickup" all the time. That way, I could get a
    package at 8AM instead of 10:30AM.

    http://www.fedex.com/us/services/express/addservopt/hold.html?link=4

    --
    ---

    <dold@DlinkXWonX.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
    > gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > > Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages. They don't even
    > > publicize the addresses of their dispatching depots. They finally made a
    > > fourth delivery attempt to me on a Saturday, at a time I agreed
    specifically
    > > to be home, and the issue was resolved.
    >
    > I used to do "hold for pickup" all the time. That way, I could get a
    > package at 8AM instead of 10:30AM.

    Sure, the first couple of people I talked to assured me it could be done. It
    was only during endgame that I was informed that it was unusual, they were
    not set up to do it, etc. By that time, it was clear that none of this was
    being communicated to dispatch, so what they told me may have been CYA. But
    I did a casual poll around the office, and I found at least two other people
    who'd had similar experiences. Maybe it's just the staff here in my town,
    but I will no longer count on anything like this working. I can tell you
    that the Fedex depots in my city are not listed in any phone directory, and
    were not listed on their web page at the time I was trying to find them.

    > http://www.fedex.com/us/services/express/addservopt/hold.html?link=4
    >

    > --
    > ---
    > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

    gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > Sure, the first couple of people I talked to assured me it could be done. It
    > was only during endgame that I was informed that it was unusual, they were

    On a re-read, it does talk about the shipper doing the arranging. Maybe you
    can't reroute a FedEx shipment that is supposed to go to your house. Maybe
    the shipper has to do it on the initial shipment.

    I did just reroute a package that "bounced" off an empty home, but I think
    that was UPS.

    ---

    > gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > > Sure, the first couple of people I talked to assured me it could be
    done. It
    > > was only during endgame that I was informed that it was unusual, they
    were

    > On a re-read, it does talk about the shipper doing the arranging. Maybe
    you
    > can't reroute a FedEx shipment that is supposed to go to your house.
    Maybe
    > the shipper has to do it on the initial shipment.

    Yup, that's exactly what they told me. I would have been happy to pick it up
    myelf, if only someone had a) actually told the dispatcher to hold the item,
    and b) told me where the depot was. The whole thing became a colossal
    Where's Waldo game, and left me a less than happy camper.

    "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:zWdMc.19303$Uo7.18578
    @newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

    > Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages

    FedEx must have a Hold for Pickup option... UPS, DHL, Purolator all have
    that option. I never missed a FedEx package so I can't be sure...

    But their website has the ability to search for "Hold At Location":

    http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/dropoff/start.html?link=1

    --

    "Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:zWdMc.19303$Uo7.18578
    > @newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:
    >
    > > Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages
    >
    > FedEx must have a Hold for Pickup option... UPS, DHL, Purolator all have
    > that option. I never missed a FedEx package so I can't be sure...

    Yes, they do. I was assured twice that they had done this. The third phone
    call revealed that they never communicated it to the dispatcher, and the
    package was on the verge of being returned to sender. They never did reveal
    the location of the depot to me. Maybe this whole incident was an
    aberration, but as I said before, an informal poll of people in my office
    indicaed that at least two others had had similar experiences. Maybe it's
    just the local office, or maybe they were short-staffed that month. Anyway,
    my expectations have been suitably adjusted.

    > But their website has the ability to search for "Hold At Location":
    >
    > http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/dropoff/start.html?link=1
    >

    > --
    > Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Wireless D-Link Wireless Networking