Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dlink Won't Accept US Mail?? WTF??

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 22, 2004 11:56:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I got an RMA number from DLINK for my dead wireless card.
Only problem is that they claim to RETURN all prodct received
by US Mail.
Driving all the way to UPS and paying more to ship it costs
more than a new card.
Anybody tested the dlink policy? Is it a bluff or are they
really gonna reject me?

Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
HP200LX 10MB + MODEM + LEATHER CASE
Sony Digital Camera
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.
FT-212RH 2-meter 45W transceiver.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
30pS pulser, Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

More about : dlink accept mail wtf

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 11:42:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

mike <spamme0@juno.com> wrote:
>Anybody tested the dlink policy? Is it a bluff or are they
>really gonna reject me?

How are you going to know/prove that they got it? When you call them
up to check on the status of your repair, and they say it never
arrived, what are you going to do?

--
William Smith
ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc. www.compusmiths.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 12:48:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:56:26 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com> wrote:

>I got an RMA number from DLINK for my dead wireless card.
>Only problem is that they claim to RETURN all prodct received
>by US Mail.

Well, I don't blame DLink. I get deliveries from DHL, UPS, Fedex, and
USPS at my office. The only one that screws things up almost every
time is the USPS. The most common problem is that USPS will not
attempt more than one delivery. I think this is DLlink's problem with
the USPS. If the letter carrier appears during break time or lunch
and there's nobody available to receive the package, they take the
package back to the local post office and never try again. Then DLink
gets to stand in line to pickup the package. I waste about an hour
every two weeks or so standing in line. The letter carrier is
apparently also illiterate and cannot fill out the form with some clue
as to the number of packages or whom they were from. So, I get to
stand in line to get some advertising manure. It gets really
obnoxious if I'm at the end of the letter carriers route. If they're
running late, they don't even attempt delivery and just plaster a note
on the door and leave, even if I'm in the office. I've complained and
gotten nowhere.

>Driving all the way to UPS and paying more to ship it costs
>more than a new card.

So, let UPS or Fedex drive to you. Open and account and schedule a
pickup. There are also lots of copy shops that will ship them for
you. Most of the local post offices have Fedex or UPS pickup boxes in
front. If you really live away from civilization, find a likely
business that does shipping and have them ship it for you. Be sure to
grab the hideously long tracking number so you can follow your
shipment to DLinks back door.

>Anybody tested the dlink policy? Is it a bluff or are they
>really gonna reject me?

Sorry. I've never returned anything to DLink. If you do elect to
ship it via USPS, I strongly certified (not registered) mail with
return receipt:

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/r...



--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 4:16:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

William P.N. Smith wrote in news:s8u1g01f6bhlf4q8r305lc4a3j40t69dml@
4ax.com:

> How are you going to know/prove that they got it? When you call them
> up to check on the status of your repair, and they say it never
> arrived, what are you going to do?

Pay a 1.00 or two for delivery confirmation?

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 6:08:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

call ups for package pick-up
they'll come get it and everything else you might want to ship for a year or
so for an $8 one time fee- plus shipping cost, and might even give you a
discount on the shipping costs.

"mike" <spamme0@juno.com> wrote in message news:41007E5A.9040205@juno.com...
> I got an RMA number from DLINK for my dead wireless card.
> Only problem is that they claim to RETURN all prodct received
> by US Mail.
> Driving all the way to UPS and paying more to ship it costs
> more than a new card.
> Anybody tested the dlink policy? Is it a bluff or are they
> really gonna reject me?
>
> Thanks, mike
> --
> Return address is VALID.
> Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> HP200LX 10MB + MODEM + LEATHER CASE
> Sony Digital Camera
> Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.
> FT-212RH 2-meter 45W transceiver.
> Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
> 30pS pulser, Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
>
July 23, 2004 11:46:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
news:mbb2g050pciqhq5rb3q8glri2fnktb55f0@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:56:26 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com> wrote:
>
> >I got an RMA number from DLINK for my dead wireless card.
> >Only problem is that they claim to RETURN all prodct received
> >by US Mail.
>
> Well, I don't blame DLink. I get deliveries from DHL, UPS, Fedex, and
> USPS at my office. The only one that screws things up almost every
> time is the USPS. The most common problem is that USPS will not
> attempt more than one delivery. I think this is DLlink's problem with
> the USPS. If the letter carrier appears during break time or lunch
> and there's nobody available to receive the package, they take the
> package back to the local post office and never try again. Then DLink
> gets to stand in line to pickup the package. I waste about an hour
> every two weeks or so standing in line. The letter carrier is
> apparently also illiterate and cannot fill out the form with some clue
> as to the number of packages or whom they were from. So, I get to
> stand in line to get some advertising manure. It gets really
> obnoxious if I'm at the end of the letter carriers route. If they're
> running late, they don't even attempt delivery and just plaster a note
> on the door and leave, even if I'm in the office. I've complained and
> gotten nowhere.

On the other hand, Fedex is not exactly what you'd call flexible. I made the
mistake of ordering a rather expensive item which the vendor shipped via
Fedex. I gave them my home address, but then got caught up in a work project
that kept me at my desk until late into the evening, for weeks in a row.
None of my neighbors were available to sign for the package, and I did not
want it just left on my doorstep.

After my first failed-delivery notice, I called Fedex to get the delivery
address changed to my office. They politely explained that this was
impossible, that I would have to send the thing BACK TO THE VENDOR and have
them resend it to my office address. I offered to pick it up myself (by this
time I got a second failed-delivery notice), and Fedex agreed to put a hold
on the package and get back to me about where to pick it up. They didn't
call back for two or three days, I got a third and final failed-delivery
notice (after which they automatically return to sender), and I called them
again. This person brought up the phone log, saw all of the discussion we
had had, explained that apparently NONE of what had been discussed on the
phone had been relayed to dispatching on the ground, and that in any case,
Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages. They don't even
publicize the addresses of their dispatching depots. They finally made a
fourth delivery attempt to me on a Saturday, at a time I agreed specifically
to be home, and the issue was resolved.

Moral: Fedex, like Microsoft, is designed to do one thing extremely well,
and that one thing is the one that satisfies at least 80% of the customer
base. If you are unfortunate enough to become one of the 20% with a special
requirement, you are just as screwed as if you used USPS.

Nota bene: if you have a business account, magic happens, doors open, all
sorts of things become possible. But if you are an ordinary user, better get
all your ducks in a row.

>
> >Driving all the way to UPS and paying more to ship it costs
> >more than a new card.
>
> So, let UPS or Fedex drive to you. Open and account and schedule a
> pickup. There are also lots of copy shops that will ship them for
> you. Most of the local post offices have Fedex or UPS pickup boxes in
> front. If you really live away from civilization, find a likely
> business that does shipping and have them ship it for you. Be sure to
> grab the hideously long tracking number so you can follow your
> shipment to DLinks back door.
>
> >Anybody tested the dlink policy? Is it a bluff or are they
> >really gonna reject me?
>
> Sorry. I've never returned anything to DLink. If you do elect to
> ship it via USPS, I strongly certified (not registered) mail with
> return receipt:
>
>
http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/r...
>
>
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 24, 2004 1:15:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages. They don't even
> publicize the addresses of their dispatching depots. They finally made a
> fourth delivery attempt to me on a Saturday, at a time I agreed specifically
> to be home, and the issue was resolved.

I used to do "hold for pickup" all the time. That way, I could get a
package at 8AM instead of 10:30AM.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/express/addservopt/hol...


--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
July 24, 2004 1:36:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

<dold@DlinkXWonX.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
news:cdrv4n$uo7$1@blue.rahul.net...
> gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages. They don't even
> > publicize the addresses of their dispatching depots. They finally made a
> > fourth delivery attempt to me on a Saturday, at a time I agreed
specifically
> > to be home, and the issue was resolved.
>
> I used to do "hold for pickup" all the time. That way, I could get a
> package at 8AM instead of 10:30AM.

Sure, the first couple of people I talked to assured me it could be done. It
was only during endgame that I was informed that it was unusual, they were
not set up to do it, etc. By that time, it was clear that none of this was
being communicated to dispatch, so what they told me may have been CYA. But
I did a casual poll around the office, and I found at least two other people
who'd had similar experiences. Maybe it's just the staff here in my town,
but I will no longer count on anything like this working. I can tell you
that the Fedex depots in my city are not listed in any phone directory, and
were not listed on their web page at the time I was trying to find them.

>
> http://www.fedex.com/us/services/express/addservopt/hol...
>
>
> --
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 24, 2004 2:14:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Sure, the first couple of people I talked to assured me it could be done. It
> was only during endgame that I was informed that it was unusual, they were

On a re-read, it does talk about the shipper doing the arranging. Maybe you
can't reroute a FedEx shipment that is supposed to go to your house. Maybe
the shipper has to do it on the initial shipment.

I did just reroute a package that "bounced" off an empty home, but I think
that was UPS.

---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
July 24, 2004 2:31:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

<dold@DlinkXWonX.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
news:cds2kn$uo7$7@blue.rahul.net...
> gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Sure, the first couple of people I talked to assured me it could be
done. It
> > was only during endgame that I was informed that it was unusual, they
were
>
> On a re-read, it does talk about the shipper doing the arranging. Maybe
you
> can't reroute a FedEx shipment that is supposed to go to your house.
Maybe
> the shipper has to do it on the initial shipment.

Yup, that's exactly what they told me. I would have been happy to pick it up
myelf, if only someone had a) actually told the dispatcher to hold the item,
and b) told me where the depot was. The whole thing became a colossal
Where's Waldo game, and left me a less than happy camper.

>
> I did just reroute a package that "bounced" off an empty home, but I think
> that was UPS.
>
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 24, 2004 9:36:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:zWdMc.19303$Uo7.18578
@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

> Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages

FedEx must have a Hold for Pickup option... UPS, DHL, Purolator all have
that option. I never missed a FedEx package so I can't be sure...

But their website has the ability to search for "Hold At Location":

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/dropoff/start.html?link...


--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
July 24, 2004 9:50:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95308A945D94nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130...
> "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:zWdMc.19303$Uo7.18578
> @newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > Fedex was not set up for customers to pick up packages
>
> FedEx must have a Hold for Pickup option... UPS, DHL, Purolator all have
> that option. I never missed a FedEx package so I can't be sure...

Yes, they do. I was assured twice that they had done this. The third phone
call revealed that they never communicated it to the dispatcher, and the
package was on the verge of being returned to sender. They never did reveal
the location of the depot to me. Maybe this whole incident was an
aberration, but as I said before, an informal poll of people in my office
indicaed that at least two others had had similar experiences. Maybe it's
just the local office, or maybe they were short-staffed that month. Anyway,
my expectations have been suitably adjusted.

>
> But their website has the ability to search for "Hold At Location":
>
> http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/dropoff/start.html?link...
>
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
> Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
!