Sign in with
Your question

change boot screen

Last response: in Windows XP
March 27, 2004 8:15:01 AM

i changed my win xp boot screen. after i reboot i get a selection of 2 options. what i want to know is how do i get rid of these options and let win xp boot normally with my boot screen alteration?

cheers,

More about : change boot screen

March 27, 2004 8:28:17 PM

After you boot you get a screen with 2 options. Meaning that you get an option of which OS to boot into? If that's the case...boot into windows XP..show hidden and operting system files by going into Windows Explorer | click "tools" | then "folder options" | then click "view" tab | Uncheck "hide hidden files and folder" | uncheck "hide protected operating system files" | hit apply then ok. Now, open "My Computer" click on your "C:" drive then find Boot.ini, open with notepad...there is your boot options list.
March 28, 2004 2:16:22 PM

i like to know if i could change the boot screen myself without using any software to do it? also what shall i do in boot.ini regarding to my first post?
Related resources
March 28, 2004 5:12:12 PM

well, just do what I said earlier and open it in notepad. You can take a look at this document. Read through it and if you don't really understand it because of all the technical crap, go ahead and reply.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:ey9ZFuyJcSQJ:mcse.... Path Naming convention and usage.doc+ARC+Path+examples&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
March 28, 2004 6:23:19 PM

i give up. its too hard to read. please help
March 28, 2004 7:15:35 PM

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

This is an example from my Windows XP Home laptop. Notice the "default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS" now under [Operating Systems] find the line that matches...so in my case it would be the first one (obviously, since I only have one listing under there, but for arguments sake) Now, everything after the first one can be deleted. So say for instance this is your computers boot.ini file..

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Mellenium Edition" /fastdetect

now i'm looking for the value after "default=" to find which disk/partition the boot loader defaults to...once i find that value I'll go below the [Operating Systems] heading to find one that closely matches. When I find that one, I delete all others under [Operating Systems] heading, so in my example I would delete ..
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Mellenium Edition" /fastdetect

After deleting them I would save and then reboot.
!