Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Transferring OS hard-drive to a new machine

Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2010 11:32:44 PM

I have built a new rig, and I do not have Windows installation CD with me.

I am wondering if I can simply unplug my OS harddrive from old machine and plug it into new machine and use it as a OS drive without any conflict/problems.

My old rig...
Pentium D 830
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 250GB
GPU: GeForce 7600GS

My new rig...
i7-930
RAM: 6GB (3x2GB)
HDD: none
GPU: GeForce 460TX 1GB

I heard someone saying Windows 7 can detect new system and adjust to it automatically. Would it be OK to connect my old OS drive and connect to my new rig so I can boot up and start using my new rig until I receive my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit that is on its way?

I am aware that Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit version that I have installed on my old HDD will not recognize all 6GB of my RAM on my new rig, and that' fine for now.

Please help...!!!!

a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 11:54:11 PM

It might, it might not. Its a 50/50 deal, and the odds are better the closer the new system is to the old one as far as hardware. But this is never a good idea, even if it does boot, it can be buggy and problematic at best. A new PC means you need to do a clean installation of the OS.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 12, 2010 5:39:56 AM

I suggest you have patience and wait.
Even if you did manage to get it going, you could have activation problems.
Then if you are going to put it back in the original pc, you will have to go through it all again, where it may fail entirely and you would be forced to reinstall.
What you could do to have a play while waiting ( I see you there trying to get into it) is to install the version you now have on the new drive you will be using, but DO NOT enter the serial number when asked. That will give you 30 days to play with it.
But if the version you getting is an OEM disk, you will need to delete the partitions before trying to install the new W7 OEM system as it will expect to see a new clean drive.
Related resources
August 12, 2010 4:41:29 PM

nexuslotus said:
I have built a new rig, and I do not have Windows installation CD with me.

I am wondering if I can simply unplug my OS harddrive from old machine and plug it into new machine and use it as a OS drive without any conflict/problems.

My old rig...
Pentium D 830
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 250GB
GPU: GeForce 7600GS

My new rig...
i7-930
RAM: 6GB (3x2GB)
HDD: none
GPU: GeForce 460TX 1GB

I heard someone saying Windows 7 can detect new system and adjust to it automatically. Would it be OK to connect my old OS drive and connect to my new rig so I can boot up and start using my new rig until I receive my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit that is on its way?

I am aware that Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit version that I have installed on my old HDD will not recognize all 6GB of my RAM on my new rig, and that' fine for now.

Please help...!!!!

Another poster to one of Tom's Hardwware forums had the same problem, which he says he solved by booting into SAFE MODE, and loading the new MOBO's drivers, then rebooting.

You say you don't have the original OS media..was it OEM (sounds like it might be)? If it was, then your license expires if you try to switch MOBO's and you may not be able to register/activate on the new mobo.
m
l
August 12, 2010 7:08:01 PM

I wouldnt recommend it, new machine = fresh Install. UNLESS the hardware is the same.

Why not just download the Win7 ISO, burn it, do a fresh install and use your current key?
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:11:59 AM

Best answer selected by nexuslotus.
m
l
!