Luigi60

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I am looking for THE ultimate gaming headset. prefferably i want it to have a mic. I wan't a headset that has teh best audio quality for surround sound effects when playing fps games. I have a sound blaster audigy 4 so my soundcard is good to go. i wanna know the exact direction the enemy is when hearing their approaching noise. looking for BEST QUALITY any suggestions?

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Unfortunately the best quality headsets (Sennheiser are VERY good), don't have surround sound (unless they've released a model recently I don't know about).

There are a few headsets on the market that have multiple speakers for each ear. I have a set of Speedlink Medusas which do surround sound quite well. They also have a microphone boom. I've not been totally delighted with them - they seem to get quite a lot of interference, so when it's quiet you can hear hissing. I'd only recommend them for gaming therefore - not for music.
However, they may have improved the design since I bought my set, so I'd have a look at them. Zalman also make a similar product.

Overall, though, I still think a good set of speakers is better than a headset for surround sound. It's hard for the manufacturers to squeeze several good-quality speakers into a tiny headset and get the spatial arrangement as good as with free-standing speakers.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones w/ Detachable Mic. I can't tell you how much I love them. The microphone works wonderful for on-line gaming and they're are comfortable for 3-4 hours sets. I got mine from Overstock.com, but looks like the price went up from the $60 I paid total including shipping. I tried using a desktop mic and surround speakers but it caused alot of interference. These headphone cured everything and I find myself almost using them even when I don't need to be quiet. http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1969062

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
That a very good idea, because I have full surround sound and when I put my head set on my right ear can't hear the right side of my speakers, kind of like being deef in one ear!

MiCao

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Check out the Speedlink Medusa SL-8793 5.1 headset. It plugs directly into your 5.1 soundcard and has superb sound qualities, sturdy design and a built-in, bendable mic. Search for "Medusa" on the Forumz, u'll find plenty of info.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Check out the Speedlink Medusa SL-8793 5.1 headset. It plugs directly into your 5.1 soundcard and has superb sound qualities, sturdy design and a built-in, bendable mic. Search for "Medusa" on the Forumz, u'll find plenty of info.

I'm not actually that convinced of the sound quality of the Medusas (see my earlier post in this thread). I seem to get a lot of interference hissing from my set.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I have one as well, and I am content with it but I would not call the sound quality superb, not by a long shot even. Then again, I paid less than 10% of the $500 price tag so I'm not complaining.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
I have one as well, and I am content with it but I would not call the sound quality superb, not by a long shot even. Then again, I paid less than 10% of the $500 price tag so I'm not complaining.

$500?!!! 8O

Mine only cost £25!

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
The $500 pricetag came from another topic where someone was inquiring what kind of headset he should buy. It wasn't about the medusa headset. Sorry for the confusion. I got mine for 40 euro, which is about equivalent I believe.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
The $500 pricetag came from another topic where someone was inquiring what kind of headset he should buy. It wasn't about the medusa headset. Sorry for the confusion. I got mine for 40 euro, which is about equivalent I believe.

I get ya now. If you're spending $500 on a set of headphones then Sennheiser is the way to go. You might not get a boom mic, but they'll sound fantastic. :p

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Great headphones usually don't come with a mic (headset). Senns are good just like Llama said. I myself got a cheap $15 heaphone from Sony, but it worked great with my X-Fi soundcard during BF2. Now I got the Bose headphone and sounded at lot better. Really good at gaming and sorround sounds.