Picking a KT333 mobo -- PLEASE help

G

Alright, I'm going out of my mind here in trying to pick a KT333 motherboard. I have read countless reviews and motherboard roundups, and at first i was set on the Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP. The one thing bothering me about this board was the lack of protection against chip overheating, and knowing me I'd probably do something stupid like fry my chip the first day I get my hands on it. I was going to overlook this, until I realized there is absolutely NO mention of ANY type of warranty by Giga-Byte! Since I was planning on ordering from newegg.com or some other such distributor, they wouldn't have covered a warranty either. So if there is no warranty on this motherboard, it's out of the question -- and if I'm wrong and there is a warranty on it, PLEASE inform me.
I've been looking at other boards but no one seems to be clear on what the warranty situation is, nor do many of them have what I'm looking for. Basically I want a nice motherboard with protection against overheating (unless I am overestimating how important this is? I don't plan to do any serious overclocking, if any), good performance, USB 2.0, stability/good cooling for the chipset, and a PS2 port (Abit doesnt seem to carry those, but I'd rather not give up my IBM Model M keyboard).
So if anyone could offer any help I would EXTREMELY appreciate it, I am going crazy here. Thanks for any help you guys may offer.

--FlatLine--

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey F,

Don't worry about the over-heating! Worry about knowing or not knowing how to install a HSF & Thermal Grease. Also if I were you, I would not worry about USB 2.0, it is just as easy to get a USB 2.0 PCI card(just how many USB 2.0 devices do you have?). All the KT333 mobo perform very close to each other. All of the KT333 chipsets do not get that hot(unless you are over-clocking). You say you are not OC'ing so don't worry about the chipset heatsinks or fans.......very easy to get some Artic Silver Thermal Adhesive & glue on a better HSF. Don't worry about a warranty, newegg has always given me no hassles with DOA's & RMA's.

Get the mobo that has the most features that you want at the price that you want. I have a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU. I love this board, but someone posted that he was having problems with MSI mobo's going dead after a year.

Last thing you might consider, in a Athlon based system, PC2700 DDR is not a big performance jump over PC2100 DDR. Why not get a nForce or KT266A based mobo? The only advantage the KT333 has over the other PC2100(266 mhz) mobo's is that it is easier to over-clock(by running your DDR over 266 mhz, you are over-clocking your Ram, no matter what system you choose).

Peace Out...............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

G

tilepusher: thanks a lot for the advice, I'll take that into consideration. However, I am more worried about a long-term warranty, as this asus CUSL2 of mine managed to flake out on me after about a year and a half, and I was left without much recourse. Also, I wasn't aware that the advantages of pc2700 weren't that great, do you know if anyone has done any comparisons that I could take a look at? I imagine if there isnt much for me to gain from the KT333 if I'm not overclocking (the XP2100+ doesn't seem to have much overclocking potential anyway) then there is some nice money to be saved on pc2100 ddr and an older motherboard. Thanks again man, I appreciate it.

--FlatLine--