Every Other Start-up: No Mouse

I have just build a new computer and am running Windows XP Pro. Every other time that I start the computer, the mouse dosen't work. It works perfectly every other time. The mouse is a Microsoft mouse. I first noticed this problem while loading and setting up programs. When the program would restart the computer, the mouse wouldn't work. At first, I thought this was just a problem with restarts, but now I find that it is every other start.
Any suggestions?

My previous problem of Boot-up with two operating systems was solved by suggestions from Sharon, Garry and others. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about every start mouse

    I would check the mouse drivers. Normally when you install XP the operating
    system will load the drivers that are on the xp cd. These are not, usually,
    the latest drivers. I do know that my mouse - microsoft optical mouse - once
    xp has been installed relies on a driver version two point something, when,
    in fact, the latest driver is 5.176 or thereabouts. I'd certainly check the
    microsoft site to see if new drivers are available and then install them.
    Also you don't say whether you have all the xp updates installed on yuor pc.
    If you don't i also suggest you go to the windows update site and download
    the available updates.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    "Hermrc" <Hermrc@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I have just build a new computer and am running Windows XP Pro. Every
    >other time that I start the computer, the mouse dosen't work. It works
    >perfectly every other time. The mouse is a Microsoft mouse. I first
    >noticed this problem while loading and setting up programs. When the
    >program would restart the computer, the mouse wouldn't work. At first, I
    >thought this was just a problem with restarts, but now I find that it is
    >every other start.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > My previous problem of Boot-up with two operating systems was solved by
    > suggestions from Sharon, Garry and others. Thanks.

    Uninstall the drivers to your mouse. On next reboot it should reinstall the driver automatically.

    To Uninstall a driver on your PC:

    Right click on your "My Computer" icon (it may be on your desktop, or in your Start Menu) And select properties

    Click the tab "Hardware"

    Click "Device Manager"

    Click "Mice and other pointing devices" so that it shows your mouse under it. Yours will more than likely say "HID-Compliant Mouse" but it may not.

    Right click the listing of your mouse, and select "Uninstall"

    Press OK when it asks.

    Reboot your computer and allow Windows XP to reinstall the driver.

    Kevin AKA Label2021

Mice Computers Microsoft Windows XP