Sign in with
Your question

How many man hours does it take to make a game?

Last response: in Video Games
July 10, 2006 10:21:31 PM

How many copies must sell to make money?
Whats the biggest Game budget ever?
Why is the sims2 the biggest game ever?
Whats you favorite GAme?
Did I ask to many Questions?

More about : man hours make game

July 11, 2006 4:00:39 PM

well the number of games needed to sell really depends on the budget and production costs.
and as for man hours well, that really depends on the game.
a friend who works for a game developer can be working on a game for around 8 months +
July 13, 2006 9:18:15 AM

some games take a long time 2 make and some dont
depends how much is in the game mostly
hl2 took 7 years to make
prey was in the making for 11 years!

Sims 2 is very popular 4 sum reason.(i find it boring)

idk wat the biggest budget is

my fav games ever have been quake3arena, hl2 and hl2ep1, punisher and more(i created a post on this not long ago :wink: )

no u didnt ask 2 many questions
Related resources
July 16, 2006 7:36:02 PM

I've heard that Doom III alone took close to $20 million to make. Huge amounts are spent by developers in licensing fees (music rights, physics engines, video/animation systems, etc) alone. That's in addition to the company's own programmers, artist, directors, managers, etc.

Today's development team sizes and budgets are approaching Hollywood's major motion picture sizes. The days of one guy making a successful game on nights and weekends are long gone.

With MMORPGs, such as The Sims, WoW, etc., the hardware costs for their game servers must be staggering.
July 16, 2006 9:44:44 PM

it varies on budget and what not... Half-life is one of the best examples, though lets not forget... DUKE NUKEM FOREVER :D 
July 17, 2006 2:05:17 AM

Yeah good games usually takes long time to create and millions of dollars in expense.
July 17, 2006 6:29:21 AM

Half Life would be pretty much a good example of a game that took a long time to make and then pwn3d the market (later, that is, mainly with the CounterStrike addition).
!