XP Home - no popups or Open in New Window

May 5, 2004 1:06:03 PM

I installed XP Home over Win98 yesterday. All working fine except for one
problem: when I click on a link in my IE6 browser that uses a Javascript
popup, an empty window opens with an error message of "Class not
registered". It does the same in my BT Yahoo web browser (which I guess is
an adapted IE).

Also if I right mouse click on a regular link so I can open it in another
browser, I get the same message.

These errors do not occur in Netscape 7.1.

Any ideas, please?

Guy
May 5, 2004 1:30:12 PM

It is generally known that upgrading usually produces unstable systems; it's
much better to install fresh. I get a new hard drive every time I get a new
OS. Hard drives are cheap, and you always need more space. This makes it
very convenient to have your old information available to you to transfer to
the new install, and in a few years you can eventually rotate the drive out
of use, because hard drives don't last forever.

But if you really can't install fresh, try reinstalling Internet Explorer.

Bob

"GF" <guy@REMOVETHISdeferrer.com> wrote in message
> I installed XP Home over Win98 yesterday. All working fine except for one
> problem: when I click on a link in my IE6 browser that uses a Javascript
> popup, an empty window opens with an error message of "Class not
> registered". It does the same in my BT Yahoo web browser (which I guess
is
> an adapted IE).
>
> Also if I right mouse click on a regular link so I can open it in another
> browser, I get the same message.
>
> These errors do not occur in Netscape 7.1.
>
> Any ideas, please?
>
> Guy

May 5, 2004 5:56:24 PM

Thanks for this - I will give it a go.

"Bob" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It is generally known that upgrading usually produces unstable systems;
it's
> much better to install fresh. I get a new hard drive every time I get a
new
> OS. Hard drives are cheap, and you always need more space. This makes it
> very convenient to have your old information available to you to transfer
> the new install, and in a few years you can eventually rotate the drive
out
> of use, because hard drives don't last forever.
>
> But if you really can't install fresh, try reinstalling Internet Explorer.
>
> Bob
>
> "GF" <guy@REMOVETHISdeferrer.com> wrote in message
> > I installed XP Home over Win98 yesterday. All working fine except for
one
> > problem: when I click on a link in my IE6 browser that uses a Javascript
> > popup, an empty window opens with an error message of "Class not
> > registered". It does the same in my BT Yahoo web browser (which I guess
> is
> > an adapted IE).
> >
> > Also if I right mouse click on a regular link so I can open it in
another
> > browser, I get the same message.
> >
> > These errors do not occur in Netscape 7.1.
> >
> > Any ideas, please?
> >
> > Guy

May 5, 2004 8:12:48 PM

it worked. Many thanks. It saved me dismantling my laptop!