XP Home - no popups or Open in New Window

I installed XP Home over Win98 yesterday. All working fine except for one
problem: when I click on a link in my IE6 browser that uses a Javascript
popup, an empty window opens with an error message of "Class not
registered". It does the same in my BT Yahoo web browser (which I guess is
an adapted IE).

Also if I right mouse click on a regular link so I can open it in another
browser, I get the same message.

These errors do not occur in Netscape 7.1.

Any ideas, please?

Guy
3 answers Last reply
More about home popups open window

    It is generally known that upgrading usually produces unstable systems; it's
    much better to install fresh. I get a new hard drive every time I get a new
    OS. Hard drives are cheap, and you always need more space. This makes it
    very convenient to have your old information available to you to transfer to
    the new install, and in a few years you can eventually rotate the drive out
    of use, because hard drives don't last forever.

    But if you really can't install fresh, try reinstalling Internet Explorer.

    Bob

    "GF" <guy@REMOVETHISdeferrer.com> wrote in message
    > I installed XP Home over Win98 yesterday. All working fine except for one
    > problem: when I click on a link in my IE6 browser that uses a Javascript
    > popup, an empty window opens with an error message of "Class not
    > registered". It does the same in my BT Yahoo web browser (which I guess
    is
    > an adapted IE).
    >
    > Also if I right mouse click on a regular link so I can open it in another
    > browser, I get the same message.
    >
    > These errors do not occur in Netscape 7.1.
    >
    > Any ideas, please?
    >
    > Guy

    Thanks for this - I will give it a go.

    "Bob" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > It is generally known that upgrading usually produces unstable systems;
    it's
    > much better to install fresh. I get a new hard drive every time I get a
    new
    > OS. Hard drives are cheap, and you always need more space. This makes it
    > very convenient to have your old information available to you to transfer
    > the new install, and in a few years you can eventually rotate the drive
    out
    > of use, because hard drives don't last forever.
    >
    > But if you really can't install fresh, try reinstalling Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "GF" <guy@REMOVETHISdeferrer.com> wrote in message
    > > I installed XP Home over Win98 yesterday. All working fine except for
    one
    > > problem: when I click on a link in my IE6 browser that uses a Javascript
    > > popup, an empty window opens with an error message of "Class not
    > > registered". It does the same in my BT Yahoo web browser (which I guess
    > is
    > > an adapted IE).
    > >
    > > Also if I right mouse click on a regular link so I can open it in
    another
    > > browser, I get the same message.
    > >
    > > These errors do not occur in Netscape 7.1.
    > >
    > > Any ideas, please?
    > >
    > > Guy

    it worked. Many thanks. It saved me dismantling my laptop!

    "Bob" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > It is generally known that upgrading usually produces unstable systems;
    it's
    > much better to install fresh. I get a new hard drive every time I get a
    new
    > OS. Hard drives are cheap, and you always need more space. This makes it
    > very convenient to have your old information available to you to transfer
    > the new install, and in a few years you can eventually rotate the drive
    out
    > of use, because hard drives don't last forever.
    >
    > But if you really can't install fresh, try reinstalling Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "GF" <guy@REMOVETHISdeferrer.com> wrote in message
    > > I installed XP Home over Win98 yesterday. All working fine except for
    one
    > > problem: when I click on a link in my IE6 browser that uses a Javascript
    > > popup, an empty window opens with an error message of "Class not
    > > registered". It does the same in my BT Yahoo web browser (which I guess
    > is
    > > an adapted IE).
    > >
    > > Also if I right mouse click on a regular link so I can open it in
    another
    > > browser, I get the same message.
    > >
    > > These errors do not occur in Netscape 7.1.
    > >
    > > Any ideas, please?
    > >
    > > Guy

Browsers Windows XP