Sign in with
Your question

I Need a New Game! What to get though?!?!

Last response: in Video Games
July 11, 2006 1:32:15 PM

I previously played warcraft3 tft, and before that ive basically only played blizzard games on my computer. But blizzard isent coming out with anything new, and i dont want WoW, and i'd like to stay away from monthly subscriptions

I made a thread in the hardware section to decide what new graphics card i should get, and that depends on what games i want to play, but i dont know what is worth getting.

The way i see it, single player is pointless, i might play it for about 10 mins just to look at things and see what they do, but after that i go straight to internet play. Plz dont argue with me about how fun single player is....because i dont like playing with myself thats all.

I dont know if i want a fps or a rts or what. I do nothing besides play computer games, i have no friends, so I need a good game to waste countless hours on everyday. I dont really care much for graphics, they could be stick figures for all i care. But i dont want a 8 year old game that has no support or updates for it. ( this was a big part in the 3 page argument over cs or cs:s )

I was thinking about getting cs:s and empire earth 3. Do you guys think these are good choices? is civilization 4 worth getting? Know any better games i should get?

More about : game

July 11, 2006 2:16:22 PM

CS:S is fun, but I found the player base to be a little touchy. If you start beating people they'll boot you for cheating, lol. Seriously, I played CS for ~2 weeks and got booted at least 3 times for 'cheating'.
Other than that, I think you can download a demo of most games. Try them out, find one you like. My favorite RTS ever has to Warhammer 40k. It just rocks. Great strategy, fun units, lots of power!
July 11, 2006 2:53:32 PM

Civ 4 is a great game, lots of replay value.
Related resources
July 11, 2006 5:06:40 PM

If you're not fussed about graphics. get Starcraft. Best RTS game ever made.
July 11, 2006 5:18:17 PM

Quote:
If you're not fussed about graphics. get Starcraft. Best RTS game ever made.

I alrdy have starcraft -_- and ive had it since it came out, along with warcraft I, II, and III, also all the exps and d2

But i played them all and am board with them. I need a new Non-blizzard game.

Civilization 4 sux, i just played the demo. I dont like the slow-pace turn style of gaming.

I have empire earth 1, what has been improved in the empire earth series since the 1st one ?? Basically, what is empire earth 3 like ?? describe to game for me.
Or does anybody know a better game ?
July 11, 2006 8:42:24 PM

Quote:

I alrdy have starcraft -_- and ive had it since it came out, along with warcraft I, II, and III, also all the exps and d2

Since you are a fan of RTS games I would suggest (as Human1 suggested) that you get warhammer 40k. This is the only game to come near starcraft. It is so good I cannot decide which do I enjoy playing more (not counting graphics).

Since the starcraft universe is a rip-off of the warhammer 40k one you would “feel at home” And it is not done by Blizzard :D 
July 12, 2006 4:40:35 AM

Quote:
Since you are a fan of RTS games I would suggest (as Human1 suggested) that you get warhammer 40k. This is the only game to come near starcraft. It is so good I cannot decide which do I enjoy playing more (not counting graphics).

Since the starcraft universe is a rip-off of the warhammer 40k one you would “feel at home” And it is not done by Blizzard :D 

starcraft is a rip off of warhammer 40k ? ...so warhammer 40k is older than starcraft??? When did it come out???
i googled it and i couldent find much info -_- but it looks like it has way better graphics than SC, and warhammer 40k has 4 races? i read in a review of it that space marines are imba...? Does it still get updates and patches?? ...does it have a big internet population?
Because it looks like a great game!
July 12, 2006 5:37:08 AM

Quote:

starcraft is a rip off of warhammer 40k ? ...so warhammer 40k is older than starcraft??? When did it come out???

I meant the warhammer universe not the pc game. It is a table top game. There have been many attempts to bring it to the PC but “Dawn of War” was the first successful attempt (i.e. if you don’t count starcraft :mrgreen: )

Check the games workshop site and you’ll see the similarities.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/

Organic hive mind race (Tyranids) - zerg
Advanced techno race with a dark sub-race (eldar) – Protoss (at least they changed how they look)
And compare how the marines look!!!

Quote:

i googled it and i couldent find much info -_- but it looks like it has way better graphics than SC, and warhammer 40k has 4 races?

Actually 3 races but 4 different factions/armies (the space marines and chaos are both human). There is an expansion which introduces one more human faction.

Quote:

i read in a review of it that space marines are imba...? Does it still get updates and patches?? .

Funny the original seemed balanced to me. :roll: The expansion unbalanced thing up a bit but the last patch (Autumn last year, nothing newer I’m afraid :(  ) I installed made things better.
July 12, 2006 8:24:35 AM

Have you checked Rise of Legends?

It seems a bit different, RTS but with a new storyline/units.
July 12, 2006 2:21:08 PM

I can vouch for Dawn Of War - looks great, plays great.
July 12, 2006 3:48:25 PM

rise of legends looks pretty good...from the screen shots it looks a little imballanced but i dono. How is the internet community? Is it Big ?
How is dawn of war's internet community??

And when did each game come out ?
July 12, 2006 6:29:14 PM

I also vouch for w40k, the universe is "deeper" than warcraft and the tabletop has been around forever, HUGE story both the "standard" (fantasy) and 40k versions. The original game does have 4 races, all very different from each other that requires totally different strategies. The expansion adds on more and re-balances many units w/ the new additions. Varied strategies still hold though. You will end up w/ liking particular races based on your play style. Community is massive.

And there is a new expansion comming out that adds 2 more races and more strategic elements. (7, count 'em... 7 different races!)

IMO, it is probably the best rts to come out in the last few years. (yes, that means better than warcraft...)

Another plus to a player like yourself is that the focus of the game has always been multiplayer. In fact the "campaign" in the original was so short (and kinda sucked) that the only real purpose was as a trainer. Skirmishes against the brutal AI to bone-up on play skills and online/lan play are the real meat. Get it, you will like.

also, if you like shooters like cs, then try bf2. Good game, very strong community. UT2004 is also still going strong, with the # of mods, maps and total conversions around you are getting many options of what to play. (ut2007 is comming soon, but I would guess that 2004 will still go strong. heck, even ut'99 is still going!)
July 12, 2006 9:41:00 PM

Quote:

And there is a new expansion comming out that adds 2 more races and more strategic elements. (7, count 'em... 7 different races!)

From where did u get that? That is great news! :)  !! Do you have a link???

Just hoping that the tyranids are in this time (and maybe the necrons :D  )
July 12, 2006 9:48:06 PM

you can google it up, called "Dark Crusade" but here is a preview on gamespot. They also have some trailers somewhere on there. The new races are the Necrons and the Tau, sorry... no Tyranids. :( 

but looking at the stuff coming it looks great to me. I love that game so much, and have played it so much online w/ friends that I am excited to get more content and gameplay. :) 
July 12, 2006 10:08:46 PM

Quote:
you can google it up, called "Dark Crusade" but here is a preview on gamespot. They also have some trailers somewhere on there. The new races are the Necrons and the Tau, sorry... no Tyranids. :( 

I just checked out their web site. In one word WOW!!!! Too bad about the Tyranids. Maybe in expansion no 3???? Along with the witch hunters (if they get the DOA team to do their “physics” they’ll have a hit on their hands) :wink: …………………..

The world map feature seems nice. I just hope that it can be utilized in the skirmish/multiplayer mode and not just the campaign or will it be more like Total War??? Can’t wait to get my dirty hands/claws on it 8) .

Thanks for the info :D  .
July 12, 2006 10:10:33 PM

totally, I love the mulitplayer but that campaign map will be a nice addition. looking forward to many more late nights playing that one. ;) 
July 13, 2006 1:02:03 AM

battlefield 2142..in 2 months or so.. itl be a copy of batelfield 2 ...but with more"futuristic" feel for it :wink: , aoe 3 looks nice, but to be honest it has the same repetitive gameplay as usual, hitman blood money is ok, (not multipler thou)
July 13, 2006 1:32:41 AM

do u have to buy the 1st warhammer 40k to play the expansion ??? Im DEFIANTLY getting it -_- im a bit skeptical about the 'controling strategic positions for for resources'....having always played blizzard games ive only been exposed to the manual gathering of minerals/gold/wood etc.
But it looks awsome!!!

If anybody is really good @ computers... i need help with learning how to install a graphics card...apparently i have to change my bios and stuff 8O *shreek*

>>> My thread asking for help in a sub forums here <<<

Quote:
Oh, man, Waylander... The guy said he was computer illiterate and only saw the inside of a PC once...

As for advice,

1. Cleve suggests good video card options. However, you will need to ask someone who knows PCs to help you install the new video card, JesusGotCaught. The reason for this is as follows:

You will need to make changes in your BIOS to disable the on-board video card which is integrated with your motherboard...

Quote:
8O integrated makes it sound hard.
As for bios, pfft i took college prep. BIO/Lab last year so that parts a peice of cake 8) ( its funny because i have no idea what your talking about 8O )
July 13, 2006 4:21:47 AM

yes, you need the first for teh expansion. Worth it though, as I think you can get them in a single pack for a better price now.

Your bios is essentially a setup program that configures your hardware for the operating system. (gross simplification, but it works) When you first start your system you should see a screen that says "hit delete key to enter setup" or something similar (sometimes an "F" key) Read your manual (assuming you still have it) and it should point you to the place in the setup that will disable the onboard video. That is all there is, just turn it off in the approprate screen, save and quit. Don't change anything else. ;)  Do this after you install the new card so you have something for the system to display to.

if you are still worried, then consult your manual more or call customer service for whatever system you have. If that is not an option then take it down to a local computer shop and they can walk you through it.
July 13, 2006 1:09:31 PM

Quote:
rise of legends looks pretty good...from the screen shots it looks a little imballanced but i dono.

Usually the RPS games have very much similar units on each side. They look a bit different, but not much difference.

In rise of legends each team has really different units. Some review: "Playing as the Alin, for example, is all about fast movement and the creation of dozens of cheap, fragile and disposable troops, while the Vinci are more balanced as well as being a researcher's and base builder's dream race. The Cuotl, though, rely on fewer, tougher units, and the incredible powers of their heroes. This variety really works to the game's advantage.".
July 13, 2006 1:52:33 PM

same w/ w40k dow. each race plays different. orcs are melee masters, but can get shredded long range, the guard are total long range and more defensive w/ bases and such. (turtle type players love em) Overall the game is less about resources and more about carnage and advancing on the map. The way the relics and strategic points work for resources demand that you always be moving forward, even defensively... if that makes any sense.

I can play the crap out of the marines and orcs, but the style of the units for the eldar frustrate me. The original game had a much more diverse tech-tree, but windter assault balanced that out a bit more to allow a lower learning curve going from race to race. They still all behave differently, and I still cant play the eldar to save my life... but that is why I love this game.
July 13, 2006 5:43:07 PM

I think most RTSs since Starcraft have had the three main race types. Even C&C leaned that direction after the massive success of SC.
Anyway, Warhammers a great game, glad you're getting it. I think you'll like it a lot.
Honestly I think Warhammer excells because you can't just build a huge base and expect to win, you have to expand and control the map. It's a more aggressive game than SC or WCIII. It forces the players to move and that makes it great.
Another thing I like is the customization and unit adaptability. You can give your unit different weapon upgrades to deal with different threats. Very nice.
Anyway, you're getting it, so this is all redundant. Have fun with it! :D 
July 13, 2006 6:29:07 PM

Well if depends if you like hit n run tatics the Eldar are the best.
July 13, 2006 6:32:06 PM

exactly... I play different, so I struggle w/ them.
July 13, 2006 8:53:50 PM

Just to clarify this so i dont order the wrong thing :roll:
War hammer 40k dawn of war = the regular one
War hammer 40k dawn of war : Winter assult = the expansion ?
And i need them both? ( they're 20$ each, not that bad )
(cs:s is like 26$) Does anybody know if you need cs to play cs:s ???
July 13, 2006 8:58:42 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify this so i dont order the wrong thing :roll:
(cs:s is like 26$) Does anybody know if you need cs to play cs:s ???

info is right, but you do not "need" the expansion (winter assault) to play the original, but you need the original to play the expansion. Then again, it depends on your definition of "need"... lol ;) 

You do not need cs to play cs:s
July 15, 2006 7:47:22 AM

Quote:

YOu can get the gold edition which contains both :) 
!