Outlook as default mail client

I have Windows XP Home and Outlook Express v.6 installed on my machine.
Everything worked fine. A few days ago, I've installed McAfee SpamKiller and
now, when I boot my computer, I'm getting a MS Outlook message: <Either
there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill
the messaging request. Please run MS Outlook and set it as default mail
client.>
As a matter of fact, the Outlook Express IS the default Message and News
reader and I do not want to switch to Outlook. How can I get red of this
error message on booting?
--------------
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida
ILYAZ@EARTHLINK.NET

ilyaz wrote:
> I have Windows XP Home and Outlook Express v.6 installed on my
> machine. Everything worked fine. A few days ago, I've installed
> McAfee SpamKiller and now, when I boot my computer, I'm getting a MS
> Outlook message: <Either there is no default mail client or the
> current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run
> MS Outlook and set it as default mail client.>
> As a matter of fact, the Outlook Express IS the default Message and
> News reader and I do not want to switch to Outlook. How can I get red
> of this error message on booting?
> --------------
> Ilya Zeldes
> Fort Myers, Florida
> ILYAZ@EARTHLINK.NET

Try re-registering Outlook Express as your default mail program.

Go to Start | Run and type the following:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg
(Check the path to msimn.exe to make sure that is correct)

Make certain to include the quotations marks and the space between the
ending quotation mark and the slash.

Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools\Internet Options\Programs
and set OE as the default mail (and news) program.
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Dear Kath,
thank you for your suggestions. I did exactly, as instructed, running
MSIMN.exe and then resetting Outlook Express. Unfortunately, I get the same
message on boot... Anything else I can do?
Ilya
"Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
> ilyaz wrote:
> > I have Windows XP Home and Outlook Express v.6 installed on my
> > machine. Everything worked fine. A few days ago, I've installed
> > McAfee SpamKiller and now, when I boot my computer, I'm getting a MS
> > Outlook message: <Either there is no default mail client or the
> > current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run
> > MS Outlook and set it as default mail client.>
> > As a matter of fact, the Outlook Express IS the default Message and
> > News reader and I do not want to switch to Outlook. How can I get red
> > of this error message on booting?
> > --------------
> > Ilya Zeldes
> > Fort Myers, Florida
> > ILYAZ@EARTHLINK.NET
>
> Try re-registering Outlook Express as your default mail program.
>
> Go to Start | Run and type the following:
>
> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg
> (Check the path to msimn.exe to make sure that is correct)
>
> Make certain to include the quotations marks and the space between the
> ending quotation mark and the slash.
>
> Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools\Internet Options\Programs
> and set OE as the default mail (and news) program.
> --
> Kath Adams
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Well, I don't know why that didn't work. It should have, did you copy
and paste the line into the Run box - assuming the path was correct? Did
you then get the option in the drop down box to set OE as the default?

You might also want to try this:

Restores OE to the E-mail clients list in Internet Options
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm

Kath

ilyaz wrote:
> Dear Kath,
> thank you for your suggestions. I did exactly, as instructed, running
> MSIMN.exe and then resetting Outlook Express. Unfortunately, I get
> the same message on boot... Anything else I can do?
> Ilya
> "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
>> ilyaz wrote:
>>> I have Windows XP Home and Outlook Express v.6 installed on my
>>> machine. Everything worked fine. A few days ago, I've installed
>>> McAfee SpamKiller and now, when I boot my computer, I'm getting a MS
>>> Outlook message: <Either there is no default mail client or the
>>> current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run
>>> MS Outlook and set it as default mail client.>
>>> As a matter of fact, the Outlook Express IS the default Message and
>>> News reader and I do not want to switch to Outlook. How can I get
>>> red of this error message on booting?
>>> --------------
>>> Ilya Zeldes
>>> Fort Myers, Florida
>>> ILYAZ@EARTHLINK.NET
>>
>> Try re-registering Outlook Express as your default mail program.
>>
>> Go to Start | Run and type the following:
>>
>> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg
>> (Check the path to msimn.exe to make sure that is correct)
>>
>> Make certain to include the quotations marks and the space between
>> the ending quotation mark and the slash.
>>
>> Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools\Internet Options\Programs
>> and set OE as the default mail (and news) program.
>> --
>> Kath Adams
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Throw McAfee in the garbage and do a restore.
"ilyaz" <ilyaz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Dear Kath,
> thank you for your suggestions. I did exactly, as instructed, running
> MSIMN.exe and then resetting Outlook Express. Unfortunately, I get the same
> message on boot... Anything else I can do?
> Ilya
> "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
> > ilyaz wrote:
> > > I have Windows XP Home and Outlook Express v.6 installed on my
> > > machine. Everything worked fine. A few days ago, I've installed
> > > McAfee SpamKiller and now, when I boot my computer, I'm getting a MS
> > > Outlook message: <Either there is no default mail client or the
> > > current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run
> > > MS Outlook and set it as default mail client.>
> > > As a matter of fact, the Outlook Express IS the default Message and
> > > News reader and I do not want to switch to Outlook. How can I get red
> > > of this error message on booting?
> > > --------------
> > > Ilya Zeldes
> > > Fort Myers, Florida
> > > ILYAZ@EARTHLINK.NET
> >
> > Try re-registering Outlook Express as your default mail program.
> >
> > Go to Start | Run and type the following:
> >
> > "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg
> > (Check the path to msimn.exe to make sure that is correct)
> >
> > Make certain to include the quotations marks and the space between the
> > ending quotation mark and the slash.
> >
> > Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools\Internet Options\Programs
> > and set OE as the default mail (and news) program.
> > --
> > Kath Adams
> > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Probably good advice! McAfee is a known corrupter of OE, especially if
email scanning is enabled, and some MVP's go so far as to refuse to
answer queries if they know McAfee is installed on the machine.
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Unknown wrote:
> Throw McAfee in the garbage and do a restore.
> "ilyaz" <ilyaz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Dear Kath,
>> thank you for your suggestions. I did exactly, as instructed, running
>> MSIMN.exe and then resetting Outlook Express. Unfortunately, I get
>> the same message on boot... Anything else I can do?
>> Ilya
>> "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Try re-registering Outlook Express as your default mail program.
>>>
>>> Go to Start | Run and type the following:
>>>
>>> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg
>>> (Check the path to msimn.exe to make sure that is correct)
>>>
>>> Make certain to include the quotations marks and the space between
>>> the ending quotation mark and the slash.
>>>
>>> Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools\Internet
>>> Options\Programs and set OE as the default mail (and news) program.
>>> --
>>> Kath Adams
>>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Well, looks like my choices are very limited. The Doug's script didn't solve
problem either. I used to have Norton's SystemWorks, but it interfered with
my MS Publisher. I removed Norton's and installed McAfee VirusScan. It
worked fine, but then I installed McAfee SpamKiller. This is when that
message started to pop up. Tell me to remove McAfee SpamKiller and I'll do
"as instructed"!!!!
Thanks for your help.

> Well, looks like my choices are very limited. The Doug's script didn't
solve
> problem either. I used to have Norton's SystemWorks, but it interfered
with
> my MS Publisher. I removed Norton's and installed McAfee VirusScan. It
> worked fine, but then I installed McAfee SpamKiller. This is when that
> message started to pop up. Tell me to remove McAfee SpamKiller and I'll do
> "as instructed"!!!!
> Thanks for your help.
> Ilya

Norton System Works, as you have discovered, does cause more problems than
it fixes. You can, however, re-install ONLY the Norton AntiVirus portion of
System Works -- that is what I did on my machine. You have to do a "Custom
Install" and de-select all options except NAV.

Then (at least) you will not have to go and buy a new copy of NAV after
already wasting money McAfee.

steve

> "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
> > Probably good advice! McAfee is a known corrupter of OE, especially if
> > email scanning is enabled, and some MVP's go so far as to refuse to
> > answer queries if they know McAfee is installed on the machine.
> > --
> > Kath Adams
> > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> >
> > Unknown wrote:
> > > Throw McAfee in the garbage and do a restore.
> > > "ilyaz" <ilyaz@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Well, I stick with MacAfee for a while..
IZ
..
"joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ilyaz wrote:
>
> "ilyaz" <ilyaz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Well, looks like my choices are very limited. The Doug's script didn't
> solve
> > problem either. I used to have Norton's SystemWorks, but it interfered
> with
> > my MS Publisher. I removed Norton's and installed McAfee VirusScan. It
> > worked fine, but then I installed McAfee SpamKiller. This is when that
> > message started to pop up. Tell me to remove McAfee SpamKiller and I'll
do
> > "as instructed"!!!!
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Ilya
>
> Norton System Works, as you have discovered, does cause more problems than
> it fixes. You can, however, re-install ONLY the Norton AntiVirus portion
of
> System Works -- that is what I did on my machine. You have to do a
"Custom
> Install" and de-select all options except NAV.
>
> Then (at least) you will not have to go and buy a new copy of NAV after
> already wasting money McAfee.
>
> steve
>

> > "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
> > > Probably good advice! McAfee is a known corrupter of OE, especially if
> > > email scanning is enabled, and some MVP's go so far as to refuse to
> > > answer queries if they know McAfee is installed on the machine.
> > > --
> > > Kath Adams
> > > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

program.

Well, why don't you try? You can always re-install if you don't gain
anything?
I don't know how the program works, you run it before OE? At the same
time? If it has anything to do with OE at all, then that's probably what
broke it in the first place!
(FWIW I wouldn't let any McAfee product near my machine!)

Good spam filter....free for one addy.
www.mailwasher.com
(Site seems to be under re-construction at the moment, but there are
others out there, Spamcop for instance.)

Good AV program, free version available.
www.grisoft.com

Kath

ilyaz wrote:
> Well, looks like my choices are very limited. The Doug's script
> didn't solve problem either. I used to have Norton's SystemWorks, but
> it interfered with my MS Publisher. I removed Norton's and installed
> McAfee VirusScan. It worked fine, but then I installed McAfee
> SpamKiller. This is when that message started to pop up. Tell me to
> remove McAfee SpamKiller and I'll do "as instructed"!!!!
> Thanks for your help.
> Ilya
>
> "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
>> Probably good advice! McAfee is a known corrupter of OE, especially
>> if email scanning is enabled, and some MVP's go so far as to refuse
>> to answer queries if they know McAfee is installed on the machine.
>> --
>> Kath Adams
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>>
>> Unknown wrote:
>>> Throw McAfee in the garbage and do a restore.
>>> "ilyaz" <ilyaz@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Kath,
thanks a lot for all your suggestions. Sure, as soon as I uninstalled the
SpamKiller everything came to normal. I tried the MailWasher (still have it
somewhere), but McAfee is more convenient with the daily automatic updates.
So, for now, I'll keep the McAfee VirusScan. It caused no trouble so far.
Again, thanks for your help.

> Well, why don't you try? You can always re-install if you don't gain
> anything?
> I don't know how the program works, you run it before OE? At the same
> time? If it has anything to do with OE at all, then that's probably what
> broke it in the first place!
> (FWIW I wouldn't let any McAfee product near my machine!)
>
> Good spam filter....free for one addy.
> www.mailwasher.com
> (Site seems to be under re-construction at the moment, but there are
> others out there, Spamcop for instance.)
>
> Good AV program, free version available.
> www.grisoft.com
>
> Kath
>
> ilyaz wrote:
> > Well, looks like my choices are very limited. The Doug's script
> > didn't solve problem either. I used to have Norton's SystemWorks, but
> > it interfered with my MS Publisher. I removed Norton's and installed
> > McAfee VirusScan. It worked fine, but then I installed McAfee
> > SpamKiller. This is when that message started to pop up. Tell me to
> > remove McAfee SpamKiller and I'll do "as instructed"!!!!
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Ilya
> >
> > "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
> >> Probably good advice! McAfee is a known corrupter of OE, especially
> >> if email scanning is enabled, and some MVP's go so far as to refuse
> >> to answer queries if they know McAfee is installed on the machine.
> >> --
> >> Kath Adams
> >> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Good that all is now working as it should. Thanks for the feedback.
Kath