Symantec Enterprise VPN Client won't install

Am getting a problem whilst trying to install Symantec Enterprise VPN
Client version 7.0 on a newly-delivered Dell Inspiron 6000 under
Windows XP with SP2.

During installation, the laptop does a BSOD, with an error which talks
about DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, at which time the only way out is
to powercycle the machine.

On next reboot, the error repeats, along with a reference to NDIS.SYS.

Windows has had all Windows Updates installed, and also has MS Office
Pro, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster installed.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

We can recover using the F8 options on boot, and using the "last known
good boot", but the VPN software simply doesn't run, despite the fact
that XP is named on the packaging as a supported platform.

Thanks in advance

Neil Trangmar

<ntrangmar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Am getting a problem whilst trying to install Symantec Enterprise VPN
> Client version 7.0 on a newly-delivered Dell Inspiron 6000 under
> Windows XP with SP2.
>
> During installation, the laptop does a BSOD, with an error which talks
> about DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, at which time the only way out is
> to powercycle the machine.
>
> On next reboot, the error repeats, along with a reference to NDIS.SYS.
>
> Windows has had all Windows Updates installed, and also has MS Office
> Pro, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster installed.
>
> Has anyone else had similar problems?
>
> We can recover using the F8 options on boot, and using the "last known
> good boot", but the VPN software simply doesn't run, despite the fact
> that XP is named on the packaging as a supported platform.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Neil Trangmar

Try installing it with your anti-virus disabled. Long-shot, but.

> Try installing it with your anti-virus disabled. Long-shot, but.

Also worth trying, and this is even more obscure, but I know someone who
had trouble trying to install the Sims expansion packs, and had been sat
on one of them for 6 months, trying repeatedly, and getting nowhere.

Hit the EA website and do a search for some of the install tips for the
Sims - it basically tells you to kill *every* task / service with the
exception of about 10 "critical" ones, then try reinstalling.

It worked for me :-}

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Try installing it with your anti-virus disabled. Long-shot, but.
>
> Also worth trying, and this is even more obscure, but I know someone who
> had trouble trying to install the Sims expansion packs, and had been sat
> on one of them for 6 months, trying repeatedly, and getting nowhere.
>
> Hit the EA website and do a search for some of the install tips for the
> Sims - it basically tells you to kill *every* task / service with the
> exception of about 10 "critical" ones, then try reinstalling.
>
> It worked for me :-}
>
> --
> Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
> **** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

Safe mode, if possible, for installation. ?

Stew

> Safe mode, if possible, for installation. ?

Not for the Sims - just killing all but absolutely essential services

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

is the client machine running windows xp home or pro?
likely reasons for blue screen is that you are running netbui...
http://tinyurl.com/dkbcm
or that some other application designed to control the network conections is
running... this buliten describes something that is pre-installed on
thinkpads...
http://tinyurl.com/csnvg
other than that you unfortunatley have to rely on symantecs telephone
support...
let us know if your resolve the problem.