Help! Choosing (or excluding) wireless router by MAC addre..

Hello all,

I have a strange problem on my XP machine: there are multiple routers
in my building with the SSID of 'linksys'. I am trying to connect to
only one of them, owned by a friend. We cannot change the router's
ssid. My XP system can't tell the various linksys's apart, and can't
even show that it sees multiple ones. It just connects to one almost
at random.

How can I pick the one I connect to, either by channel or MAC address?
If this is impossible with the standard protocols, is there any
(hopefully free) software that will help me?

Thanks!
Loki
2 answers Last reply
More about help choosing excluding wireless router addre

    On 23 Jul 2004 07:02:18 -0700, lokiskywalker@hotmail.com (Loki) wrote:

    >I have a strange problem on my XP machine: there are multiple routers
    >in my building with the SSID of 'linksys'. I am trying to connect to
    >only one of them, owned by a friend. We cannot change the router's
    >ssid.

    Why can't you change the SSID? Is it a technical or political
    problem? If political, please buy your "friend" a suitable intoxicant
    and suggest that this would be a great time to change the SSID to
    something more distinctive. If technical, point your web browser at
    the access points IP address, login as admin, no password, and change
    it for him. Anyone that leaves the SSID at the default value is
    equally unlikely to have changed the password, default channel,
    enabled security, etc.

    >My XP system can't tell the various linksys's apart, and can't
    >even show that it sees multiple ones. It just connects to one almost
    >at random.

    Well, if they were on different channels (1, 6, or 11), you would also
    know to which one you've connected.

    You can use the ARP table to determine which one you've connected.
    Start -> Run -> cmd -> arp -a
    The MAC address should be listed. If not, ping the router and it
    should appear.

    >How can I pick the one I connect to, either by channel or MAC address?

    To the best of my limited knowledge, you can't. In my never humble
    opinion, this is a stupid problem unworthy of solving and should be
    dealt with by a change of SSID.

    >If this is impossible with the standard protocols, is there any
    >(hopefully free) software that will help me?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Loki

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    If one is owned by a friend, it would seem he would have the ability to
    change the SSID of his AP.

    --
    Bob Alston

    "Loki" <lokiskywalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a strange problem on my XP machine: there are multiple routers
    > in my building with the SSID of 'linksys'. I am trying to connect to
    > only one of them, owned by a friend. We cannot change the router's
    > ssid. My XP system can't tell the various linksys's apart, and can't
    > even show that it sees multiple ones. It just connects to one almost
    > at random.
    >
    > How can I pick the one I connect to, either by channel or MAC address?
    > If this is impossible with the standard protocols, is there any
    > (hopefully free) software that will help me?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Loki

    ---

Wireless Router Wireless Networking