installing XP Professional

Can I install XP Professional right over Windows 98se?
7 answers Last reply
More about installing professional

    Make sure you run Upgrade Advisor first and solve any compatiblity issues.

    An upgrade is better if you want to keep stuff from the earlier version.

    "nedd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I install XP Professional right over Windows 98se?

    Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

    HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
    Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316639

    --
    Steve C. Ray
    (Replace "mail" with "36db"
    "nedd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I install XP Professional right over Windows 98se?

    The answer is yes, assuming your computer is XP capable. Use the Upgrade
    Advisor to find out. It is on the XP CD disk, or you can download it from
    Microsoft. However, if you have dial-up, try to borrow the disk from a
    friend - because the Upgrade Advisor is a very large file.

    Consider also that if you do an upgrade instead of a clean install, any
    problems with your current setup will probably get transferred to your new
    setup. I always do a clean install for that reason, but before doing so, I
    save anything important to removable media.

    "nedd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I install XP Professional right over Windows 98se?

    I would do an upgrade install. Pay particular attention to the list the
    compatibility advisor generates at the start of the install to make sure
    there will be no serious problems. Also, I would delete any and all printer
    drivers before starting the upgrade. Although not essential, this will
    eliminate possible problems changing to XP drivers. You might have to get
    these drivers from the printer makers web site for installation after the
    upgrade completes.

    Tom
    MSMVP-DTS

    "nedd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I install XP Professional right over Windows 98se?

    Yes, but clean install is better.

    "nedd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I install XP Professional right over Windows 98se?

    Here's another excellent resource about Upgrading to XP
    http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "=?Utf-8?B?bmVkZA==?=" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Can I install XP Professional right over Windows 98se?

    I know it's kinda late to respond to your message, or maybe not? I was
    just brousing over the groups here, great group by the way, I learn alot!
    Back to your question, I installed XP-pro over 98win fat32, went in just
    fine! Worked OK to for the first couple of weeks, then troubles started!
    I began to get errors on a bootup, couldn't find certain files, certain
    files missing, and so on, I can't really remember exactly what they were,
    it's been some time now, but I think one was the BOOT.INI. So, I just did
    a simple net search to solve the problem, and to my amazement to find
    that XP over 98 can cause problems, Xp can't recognize or translate
    certain fat32 files. There was a roundabout fix, very complicated to
    repair, it was much easier and faster for me to reformat, I changed to
    NTSF and never had a problem since? My two cents, if you don't mind, i'd
    either keep 98 or do a clean install of XP?

Microsoft Windows 98SE Windows XP