Epox 8K3A+ On Board Sound NOT working

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I just purchased a Epox 8K3A+ MOBO and am running Window 98. I cannot get the on board sound, Advance ALC650, to work. Anyone else encounter this, and have any ideas. I've tried new drivers but they didn't help.

I'm trying to run the sound through a 15" Flat Panel Monitor's speakers, btw. Not sure if that's the problem.

<i> If you buy a pre-packaged pc, shame on you </i> :wink:

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
First major question: are you sure the mobo has onboard stereo? have you gone into the bios and turned on the option? ( in the bios, goto, integrated peripherals, then VIA OnChip PCI Device, and turn on the AC97 option)...have you also install the latest via 4-in-1 driver? Did you get a CD with your motherboard that says CIA & SiS Installation driver? because there should be an option on that to load the onboard audio drivers? Have you tried the putting the speaker input wire in all three input plugs?

Time is the best teacher... unfortunatly, it kills all of its students.

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
This board has onboard 6.1 sound. It definitely is on in the bios. Have tried at least a couple 4-in-1 drivers, and even some separate Avance ALC650 drivers. I know it's plugged into the the right input. You can plug it directly into the cd, and it plays sound there.

This actually isn't my pc, I just posted it for them. Myself and another are trouble shooting this for them. I wish they would go to Windows 2K or XP, I know this problem would vanish. But they are terrified some of their games won't work anymore :(

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm
ok then

probably a win98 problem.
but i dont have any other ideas.

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
really stupid question.. have you checked the sound icon in the corner to make sure that it isn't muted?

Time is the best teacher... unfortunatly, it kills all of its students.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
does everything look good in the device manager? when you go to the sound applet in the control panel and try to play a system event sound, is the play botton (right facing triangle) greyed out, or is it clickable? If clickable, does it push in for a few seconds and then return to it's original state, or does it stay pushed in? Have you tried different speakers?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Everyone looks good in device manager. You can bring up that sound applet and click on sounds and hit play, but nothing comes out, just like nothing comes out, when a cd is in. No we haven't tried different speakers, they probably should. Someone else is helping this person now, but I will mention to them to try different speakers.

I still think it is a windows 98 problem though.