no sound

Hello

today when i switched on my computer nothing happened
except a long beep . i read in a book that this could be
due to a loose sound card or ram chip .i checked these
items made sure they were secure and sure enough the
computer booted up .except now ive lost my sound .i ran
dxdiag and in the sound section i get this error message:
DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User
verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error
code).
i have audio excel, but only the intergrated audio
showing.
i have re-installed audio excel drivers but to no avail.
i am running xp pro pentium 4
can anyone please help me .
any help greatly appreciated.
many thanks
Alan
3 answers Last reply
More about sound

    Hi

    Try here:

    "Where did my Sounds go?"

    Courtesy of MVP Kelly.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Alan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hello
    |
    | today when i switched on my computer nothing happened
    | except a long beep . i read in a book that this could be
    | due to a loose sound card or ram chip .i checked these
    | items made sure they were secure and sure enough the
    | computer booted up .except now ive lost my sound .i ran
    | dxdiag and in the sound section i get this error message:
    | DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User
    | verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error
    | code).
    | i have audio excel, but only the intergrated audio
    | showing.
    | i have re-installed audio excel drivers but to no avail.
    | i am running xp pro pentium 4
    | can anyone please help me .
    | any help greatly appreciated.
    | many thanks
    | Alan

    thankyou ,will
    problem solved .thankyou very much again. much appreciated
    regards
    Alan

    You're very welcome Alan.

    --

    | thankyou ,will
    | problem solved .thankyou very much again. much appreciated
    | regards
    | Alan

    | >|
    | >| today when i switched on my computer nothing happened
    | >| except a long beep . i read in a book that this could
    | be
    | >| due to a loose sound card or ram chip .i checked these
    | >| items made sure they were secure and sure enough the
    | >| computer booted up .except now ive lost my sound .i ran
    | >| dxdiag and in the sound section i get this error
    | message:
    | >| DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User
    | >| verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error
    | >| code).
    | >| i have audio excel, but only the intergrated audio
    | >| showing.
    | >| i have re-installed audio excel drivers but to no
    | avail.
    | >| i am running xp pro pentium 4
    | >| can anyone please help me .
    | >| any help greatly appreciated.