New system. Old hard drive. Visa 64 -> Win 7 64!

immortalduck

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Long story short, my computer exploded. The system was about three years old so I've decided to just start fresh. The hard drive in the computer is still good: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM, so I've decided to keep it.

My old OS was Windows Vista 64-bit and I'm looking to get Windows 7 64-bit for the new system. This will be my first ever home built computer and I have many questions. All the hardware: PSU, MB, RAM, Video Card, Processor are going to be new.

Can I assume all I have to do is buy an OEM copy or Win 7 64-bit and just throw the CD in the CD drive once it's built and have it just overwrite the old copy of Vista? I know some of you might think this is a dumb question, but my previous computers were bought from Alienware and IBuyPower and I want to try this one myself! I've reinstalled Vista multiple times before, but is Vista -> Win 7 with new hardware going to be an issue?

Please walk me through the process as if your talking to a 10 year old haha. Thanks in advance!

immortalduck

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I do not have anything on the hard drive that I need to keep. The hard drive is relatively new and all my pictures and saved game files have been backed up. Is there a way to completely erase it to start completely fresh and change OS?

Edit for grammar.

immortalduck

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I assume the old OS won't have a problem booting even though all the other hardware is no longer there? Also, will booting the old OS hurt or mess up any of my new hardware?

The reason I ask is my computer exploded after I reformatted Windows Vista. I'm not sure what happened really, but three days after reinstalling, something literally blew up in the computer. During the install of SCII, there was an arc of electricity that looked like it came from the PSU and flashed. Then I heard three loud "pops" and then smoke blew out of the fans, the power cord blew out the back of the PSU and the distinct smell of burning electronics filled the room.