My new gaming rig advice/comments/suggestions

steg14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
Processors: Intel Pentium 4 1.6A 512K retail (will overclock to at least 2.1Ghz)
Cooling: Included with CPU
Motherboards: EPOX 4G4A+ (for now)
Memory: Samsung Original DDR333 PC-2700 512mb CAS2.5
Cases: ANTEC Performance PLUS (Black) Model PLUS1080
Power Supplies: Antec Original TRUE P4 Power Supply 430Watt
Floppy Drive: Panasonic 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Hard Drive 1: Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ATA133 (already have)
Hard Drive 2: IBM 60GXP 40GB 7200 RPM ATA100 (already have)
Video Cards: Gainward GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR 4ns
Sound Cards: Creative Labs Audigy Platinum (already have)
Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (already have)
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (already have)
DVD ROM: Toshiba Internal DVD ROM, 16X DVD, 48X CD ROM, Model SD-M1612
CD ROM: Ultraplex 40x max (already have)
CDRW: Plextor 40/12/40 (already have)
Speakers: Logitech Z560 (already have)
Network Card: Linksys 10/100 NIC (already have)
SCSI Adapter: Adaptec 2490 U2W (already have)
Monitors: Samsung 900NF (already have)
Additional Storage: External Zip 250MB USB (already have)
Additional Cooling: Panasonic Panaflo Axial Fan 80x80x25.5mm, Ball Bearing (for case)
Operating Systems: Windows 2000 and Windows 98SE (already have)

So, I’m wondering what you all think of this new rig I’m putting together for myself. I will mostly game and do some CAD work and music. The items I already have aren’t really in question (I guess I could make a return and yes I know some people love the Santa Cruz for music). Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I buy. Some specific questions I have are:

1) The motherboard issue has really been a pain in my ass. I have been doing quite a bit of research. The most recent I845E and G boards have some really nice features and would be nice, but not proven. I’m still waiting for some people to further test these new boards or get some new BIOS updates. I have narrowed it down to these:
a) EPOX 4G4A+: This board looks really good with the new Intel I845G, but I have read some bad news on high overclocks with this one.
b) ASUS P4S533: If I were going to go with a SiS 645DX motherboard, this would be the one.
c) EPOX 4BDA2+: Nothing like a board that has proven and overclocks really well. The only problem is trying to find this board still.
d) Other suggestions for a solid overclocking board with decent features and support?

2) Is 512MB Memory good enough or will 1GB be necessary or significantly better for any possible game/application?

3) The all important video card issue. I will overclock this as well. I’m stuck between going for the lower priced Gainward TI4200 for $210 and the Gainward TI4400 for $260. Is the extra $50 worth it?

4) Thumbs up or down on RAID with my two drives. I’m leaning towards no because I can’t think of any possible use other than some music I may work with.

I respect all of your decisions/suggestions and thank you for any help you provide. Once I get the rig up and running I’ll let you know how it comes out.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I recommend the Asus P4S533. Samsung PC2700 DDR RAM has an extremely high overclocking potential. With the P4S533, you can maximize your overclock. The Asus P4S533 also has a VCore that goes up to 1.9V so 2.4GHz is virtually guaranteed. As a suggestion, you might want to get a better cooler than the default retail one if you want to go over 2.4GHz. I've seen Samsung PC2700 go up to 450MHz. At that speed, you'll cream even an equivalent 2.4GHz P4 B

2) Is 512MB Memory good enough or will 1GB be necessary or significantly better for any possible game/application?
512MB is enough at the moment. Everything should run smoothly.

3) The all important video card issue. I will overclock this as well. I’m stuck between going for the lower priced Gainward TI4200 for $210 and the Gainward TI4400 for $260. Is the extra $50 worth it?
I believe Gainward has a 64MB TI4200 for $159. That's the best deal you can find.

4) Thumbs up or down on RAID with my two drives. I’m leaning towards no because I can’t think of any possible use other than some music I may work with.
Then forget about RAID, you probably won't notice the difference in performance with regular use.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: