ATTN:: MVP's Scannow question

May 6, 2004 12:31:25 PM

When I run sfc scannow I wind up with less drive space.
On my computer this morning I had 12.0 gig free prior to running
scannow and after I only had 11.4 gig free.
I run scannow often and every time the hard drive free space is the
same. I thought that the purpose was to replace or restore files.
My question is how does the files get buggered every time when all I
do is read the news groups and surf the Internet.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 5:02:07 PM

I don't think it's a case of the System File Checker not working
correctly...

If you regularly surf, have you run Disk Cleanup to delete your Temporary
Internet Files?

--
Cari
www.coribright.com
"GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
> When I run sfc scannow I wind up with less drive space.
> On my computer this morning I had 12.0 gig free prior to running
> scannow and after I only had 11.4 gig free.
> I run scannow often and every time the hard drive free space is the
> same. I thought that the purpose was to replace or restore files.
> My question is how does the files get buggered every time when all I
> do is read the news groups and surf the Internet.
May 6, 2004 5:49:02 PM

> On Thu, 6 May 2004 13:02:07 -0700, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

>I don't think it's a case of the System File Checker not working
>correctly...
I know it is working correctly. I just don't understand where the
extra space comes from.
This is the same on my other computer also.

>If you regularly surf, have you run Disk Cleanup to delete your Temporary
>Internet Files?
I run disk cleanup at least twice a week. I have it set to delete
internet files on close in the options
May 6, 2004 7:01:07 PM

Cleaning the temp internet files would have no effect whatsoever in Sfc,you
should go to run,type:%Temp% then edit tab,select all,delete all,close-out,
empty recycle bin.For more info on Sfc try. kb310747
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 2:41:01 PM

It's probably copying files to the dllcache area. Files are automatically taken from here when they are overwritten elsewhere so the CD isn't needed. Manually running sfc also repaires the dllcache.

And the band played ....
http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
"GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message news:temk90pmi3cuvd0clc4ktsk421qffhb0ti@4ax.com...
> When I run sfc scannow I wind up with less drive space.
> On my computer this morning I had 12.0 gig free prior to running
> scannow and after I only had 11.4 gig free.
> I run scannow often and every time the hard drive free space is the
> same. I thought that the purpose was to replace or restore files.
> My question is how does the files get buggered every time when all I
> do is read the news groups and surf the Internet.
May 8, 2004 3:38:14 PM

On Sat, 8 May 2004 10:41:01 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
wrote:

>It's probably copying files to the dllcache area. Files are automatically taken from here when they are overwritten elsewhere so the CD isn't needed. Manually running sfc also repaires the dllcache.
I think that would explain it anyway thanks for the info.
!