Paul

Splendid

i bought XP 1 week ago and at least 5 times when i'm
surfing or something i go to my desktop and there's a
mysterious "~" file thrown on there on it's own. i right
clicked on it and selected properties sand it said the
file name was ntuser.dat. is this a virus? or spyware? or
is this pretty much a normal thing depending on what
software i use?

Paul

"Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i bought XP 1 week ago and at least 5 times when i'm
> surfing or something i go to my desktop and there's a
> mysterious "~" file thrown on there on it's own. i right
> clicked on it and selected properties sand it said the
> file name was ntuser.dat. is this a virus? or spyware? or
> is this pretty much a normal thing depending on what
> software i use?
>
> Paul

It's a bug in a recent OE update (330994 - April, 03). Microsoft is aware
of it and working on it.
It's the backup of the Address Book that should have been named *.wa~ and
placed in the same Windows folder as your *.wab Address Book file.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com