Folder View Settings, Kelly's reg file made no difference

I don't often want to change the folder view in Windows Explorer but
when I do, I want it changed for days on end. My default (or usual) view
is List.

Months ago I asked this newsgroup (after trying all the Folder Options)
how to make the folder view "stick" and was pointed to Kelly's Korner
and the regedit for increasing the number of folders from 400 to 8000. I
tried it. I never got the message about importing but instead was asked
"Are you sure you want to add the information in D:downlo~1/bags8000.reg
to the registry?" I clicked Yes and the following message appeared
"Information in D:downlo~1/bags8000.reg has been successfully entered
into the registry"

I still found, however, that it would not save/remember if I chose
Thumbnail view when I returned to a folder. I didn't have any need for
thumbnail view after that and forgot about the problem but right now it
would be real handy.

I know nothing about the registry but decided to have a look in it and
see if anything looked similar to regedit8000.reg when opened with notepad.

This is what I found - I hope you can follow it - I have written in
everything that appears on the right when the folder on the left is clicked

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
MRUListEx REG_BINARY ff ff ff
NodeSlots REG_BINARY (zero-length binary value)

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]
Couldn't find this folder

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40
(Default) REGSZ BLOBS
BagMRU Size REG_DWORD 0x00001f40 (8000)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40
(Default) REGSZ BLOBS
BagMRU Size REG_DWORD 0x00001f40 (8000)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
(Default) REG_SZ (Value not set)
NoDesktop REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_BINARY 91 00 00 00
NoSaveSettings REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

Does any of the above make sense to anyone? Can anyone see a problem
with it? Does anyone have any other ideas on how to keep folder
settings? I have downloaded the .reg file on 2 occasions in case the
download was the problem.

Oh, and I have about 2000 folders ;)

Thanks for taking the time to read all this
miskairal

Contents of bags8000.reg
To view what is contained in the file, right click the file | Edit
---------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor
er]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
r]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
r]
"**del.NoSaveSettings"=" "
================

Have a look here:

Allow User Settings To Be Saved
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_save_settings.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:409b0bc2_1@news.iprimus.com.au,
miskairal <mehiding@invalid.com> hunted and pecked:

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> miskairal;
>
> First thing, you do *not* need to go into the Registry. OK?

I feel like a chastised little kid at school :))

> Open a folder. Click Tools, Folder Options, View and click "Reset All
> Folders". (This resets all the folder view settings). Close the folder. Open
> and customize the folder again. Click View | Apply to All Folders.

OK - That's the step that I had wrong. I needed to reset the default
folder views for all folders. I thought I could start with all folders
set as List view and from there change the individual folders but it
doesn't work that way.

> The purpose of the reg file is so you do not have to manually
> enter or change any values. Safer that way. :) Double clicking it
> merges it's settings in the registry.

I went looking in the registry in case my download was corrupt (despite
doing it 3 times) or different or something. I dont' know, just thought
I should look so I could provide some info - like, Wesley is helping me
here, the least I can do is try and help him help me :)

OK, so thank you big heaps for your time and frustration with me.
Cheers
miskairal

miskairal;

I did not mean to chastise you at all. And there is nothing wrong with
looking around in the registry. However, you can make big mistakes. Anyone
can. I'm glad you got it sorted out. :)

Here's some reading, if your interested.

[[Important This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry]]

About the Windows Registry
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/RegTopics.asp

Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986

Differences Between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

Discovering the System Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fdirectory%2fworldwide%2fen-gb%2fregistry.asp

Editing the registry
http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/art_reg.html

HOW TO Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a
Registration Entries (.reg) File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310516

HOW TO Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

Inside the Registry
http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5195&Key=Internals

Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292504

Registry Editor overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_overview.mspx

Safekeeping the Registry
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/honeycutt/03march17.asp

Windows Registry Tutorial
http://www.winguides.com/article.php?id=1&guide=registry

Windows NT Registry Tutorial
http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles/WindowsNTRegistryTutorial.php

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:409d9327_1@news.iprimus.com.au,

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> miskairal;
>
> I did not mean to chastise you at all. And there is nothing wrong with
> looking around in the registry. However, you can make big mistakes. Anyone
> can. I'm glad you got it sorted out. :)
>
> Here's some reading, if your interested.

THANKYOU!!

Keep having fun!!!!!

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.