Folder View Settings, Kelly's reg file made no difference

I don't often want to change the folder view in Windows Explorer but
when I do, I want it changed for days on end. My default (or usual) view
is List.

Months ago I asked this newsgroup (after trying all the Folder Options)
how to make the folder view "stick" and was pointed to Kelly's Korner
and the regedit for increasing the number of folders from 400 to 8000. I
tried it. I never got the message about importing but instead was asked
"Are you sure you want to add the information in D:downlo~1/bags8000.reg
to the registry?" I clicked Yes and the following message appeared
"Information in D:downlo~1/bags8000.reg has been successfully entered
into the registry"

I still found, however, that it would not save/remember if I chose
Thumbnail view when I returned to a folder. I didn't have any need for
thumbnail view after that and forgot about the problem but right now it
would be real handy.

I know nothing about the registry but decided to have a look in it and
see if anything looked similar to regedit8000.reg when opened with notepad.

This is what I found - I hope you can follow it - I have written in
everything that appears on the right when the folder on the left is clicked

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
MRUListEx REG_BINARY ff ff ff
NodeSlots REG_BINARY (zero-length binary value)

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]
Couldn't find this folder

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40
(Default) REGSZ BLOBS
BagMRU Size REG_DWORD 0x00001f40 (8000)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40
(Default) REGSZ BLOBS
BagMRU Size REG_DWORD 0x00001f40 (8000)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
(Default) REG_SZ (Value not set)
NoDesktop REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_BINARY 91 00 00 00
NoSaveSettings REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

Does any of the above make sense to anyone? Can anyone see a problem
with it? Does anyone have any other ideas on how to keep folder
settings? I have downloaded the .reg file on 2 occasions in case the
download was the problem.

Oh, and I have about 2000 folders ;)

Thanks for taking the time to read all this
miskairal
5 answers Last reply
More about folder view settings kelly file made difference

    Contents of bags8000.reg
    To view what is contained in the file, right click the file | Edit
    ---------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
    "BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
    "BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor
    er]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
    r]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
    r]
    "**del.NoSaveSettings"=" "
    ================

    Have a look here:

    Allow User Settings To Be Saved
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_save_settings.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:409b0bc2_1@news.iprimus.com.au,
    miskairal <mehiding@invalid.com> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > miskairal;
    >
    > First thing, you do *not* need to go into the Registry. OK?

    I feel like a chastised little kid at school :))

    > Open a folder. Click Tools, Folder Options, View and click "Reset All
    > Folders". (This resets all the folder view settings). Close the folder. Open
    > and customize the folder again. Click View | Apply to All Folders.

    OK - That's the step that I had wrong. I needed to reset the default
    folder views for all folders. I thought I could start with all folders
    set as List view and from there change the individual folders but it
    doesn't work that way.

    > The purpose of the reg file is so you do not have to manually
    > enter or change any values. Safer that way. :-) Double clicking it
    > merges it's settings in the registry.

    I went looking in the registry in case my download was corrupt (despite
    doing it 3 times) or different or something. I dont' know, just thought
    I should look so I could provide some info - like, Wesley is helping me
    here, the least I can do is try and help him help me :)

    OK, so thank you big heaps for your time and frustration with me.
    Cheers
    miskairal

    miskairal;

    I did not mean to chastise you at all. And there is nothing wrong with
    looking around in the registry. However, you can make big mistakes. Anyone
    can. I'm glad you got it sorted out. :-)

    Here's some reading, if your interested.

    [[Important This article contains information about modifying the registry.
    Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
    you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
    information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the
    following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:
    256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry]]

    About the Windows Registry
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/RegTopics.asp

    Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986

    Differences Between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

    Discovering the System Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fdirectory%2fworldwide%2fen-gb%2fregistry.asp

    Editing the registry
    http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/art_reg.html

    HOW TO Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a
    Registration Entries (.reg) File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310516

    HOW TO Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP and Windows
    Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    Inside the Registry
    http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5195&Key=Internals

    Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292504

    Registry Editor overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_overview.mspx

    Safekeeping the Registry
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/honeycutt/03march17.asp

    Windows Registry Tutorial
    http://www.winguides.com/article.php?id=1&guide=registry

    Windows NT Registry Tutorial
    http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles/WindowsNTRegistryTutorial.php

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:409d9327_1@news.iprimus.com.au,

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > miskairal;
    >
    > I did not mean to chastise you at all. And there is nothing wrong with
    > looking around in the registry. However, you can make big mistakes. Anyone
    > can. I'm glad you got it sorted out. :-)
    >
    > Here's some reading, if your interested.

    THANKYOU!!

    Keep having fun!!!!!

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:409eea18_1@news.iprimus.com.au,
    miskairal <mehiding@invalid.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley Vogel wrote:
    >> miskairal;
    >>
    >> I did not mean to chastise you at all. And there is nothing wrong
    >> with looking around in the registry. However, you can make big
    >> mistakes. Anyone can. I'm glad you got it sorted out. :-)
    >>
    >> Here's some reading, if your interested.
    >
    > THANKYOU!!

Microsoft Windows XP