f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I realise that 99.99% of people here wouldn't fall into a stupid trap such as this but I still thought I should get it out there.

I got an email with a free beta trial to Episode 2, and it seemes legit until you see it needs your steam account and password. But the main reason I think it should be brought out like this is because the email seemed pretty convincing as well... this what the email said..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open multiple messages at once with the all new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Also another give away it was fake was it had a yahoo signature at the bottom.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Well, giving out Steam account info, is like giving out Credit Card numbers, or personal info. Plus, why would Steam ask for you Steam info? They already have it.

Clearly a scam.

Exactly, I guess I just wanted to feel like I was doing something for the community by warning everyone. =D Gues I don't get a gold star this time =/.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
LMAO, please have you read it? it has lots of grammer mistakes and spelling mistakes. im sorry but if you dumb enough to fall for it then you deserve to loose your steam account.

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Thats really sad that anyone would fall for that. Valve already has all of your account info, so they would definetly send a popup through steam itself saying something along the lines of "Click here if your interested in the beta" and then you get to a preload screen.

Narg

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
First rule in e-mail. Never ever click on a link in the e-mail to enter a username and password. Always go directly to the web site in question by using your own favorites or typing in the URL. If they offer it over e-mail, it will be in the main web site too. Second rule, never reply with a username OR password (either one.) They (anyone) will never ever ask for that in an e-mail. Third rule, the one most people miss, never "foward to 10 people" any e-mail if it asks you to do so.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Sorry, was just trying to help, considering this is the first scam I've seen, that was email based and aimed towards the gaming community. I also forgot how 'superior' this community is not to fall for something like that. :oops:

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
scams are easy to spot but for some reason millions of ppl fall for them the biggest clue is they always use bad grammer and always spell atleast one word wrong.

its ok someone who is now to shy to post would of found this useful, your posting was done in good spirits and no one here is getting at you, just the idiots that fall for it, and you didnt fall for it.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
LMAO, please have you read it? it has lots of grammer mistakes and spelling mistakes. im sorry but if you dumb enough to fall for it then you deserve to loose your steam account.

Whilst we're on the subject, the correct spelling is "grammar", not "grammer". Oh, and you meant "lose", not "loose". :roll:

Sorry man, but I couldn't resist. :lol:

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006

Whilst we're on the subject, the correct spelling is "grammar", not "grammer". Oh, and you meant "lose", not "loose". :roll:

Sorry man, but I couldn't resist. :lol:

:lol:

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i should add a notice in my sig to say that most of my posts are posted after midnight and therefore spelling mistakes there will be, and grammar too...... :p

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Oh but you do*****! I came here to look for others that got the same thing we did and because of you buddy I will not fall for it, thats for saving my butt!

born2phrag

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
It's a shame that so many people fall for this kind of scam. Thanks for the heads-up btw. Haven't gotten it yet, but I'll let my mates know to watch out for it.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Look liks it's not stoping....

Dear Steam User,

We have been having recurring problems with multiple user(s)
signing on to the same account, ergo; several people using the same
account
from
different IP Addresses at the same time. In order to prevent this, we
are
authorizing a validation process, in which you, the contact e-mail
registered to Steam, e-mail us a code in which you authorize every time
you login to ensure that no one shares your account. To validate your
account within the next 5 days (otherwise it will be disabled), respond
to
this
e-mail in the following format;

Username:
Password:
Code:

IMPORTANT: You must enter the above information into the Steam
application.

Signed,

{The Steam Support Team}
To contact us about this problem email support@steampowered.com,
otherwise
respond to the e-mail above

==============
This notification has been sent to the e-mail address you provided when
you
created your Steam account. For information on Valve's privacy policy,
please
visit www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm

What I wonder though is how did they get my email... I'm extremely careful of who gets my email. I never use my good email for contests or surveys.... hmmm.