ReCyke

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Ok, one quick post before bedtime.
I've been planning to build my first Post-Pentium class machine for a few months now. I've been reading the posts in the community for awhile, but I'm still undecided on which motherboard/chipset to opt for.

I want an AMD machine, and originally had my eye on the ECS K7S5A board. I don't plan to OC, but it would be nice to have a stable pc platform for another two-three years. I plan on running WinXP and playing games.

I've got the case, Hercules Soundcard, GeForce3 Ti200 from VisionTek,.. I would really like some opinions on what mobo to buy. I'll buy from a retailer around here instead of on-line. I'm also on a budget of sorts.

If I had to get an Asus K266 board, which one do I get?
I'd like to hear opinions about different Soyo Dragon mobo as well,..
Like I said, I'm undecided,.. if I hear enough about Abit, or Gigabyte, I'll probably go that way.
The floor is open to you, Gentlemen.

PS. I'm running (bought, not built) a 333 Celery with a Banshee,.. it plays my five-year old daughter's Disney games nicely..

Read, read, read. Learn - learn - learn.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The ECS K7S5A is still a good board for a non-overclocker. Fast and stable, it'll serve you well.

Which Hercules sound card are you looking at?

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

ReCyke

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I've actually already bought the Hercules Fortissimo II card. I opted to spend just a bit more than the Muse card Hercules offers.
Crisp clear sound, no headaches. I appreciate my Logitech Sub and satellites all the more.
Thanks for the reply.

Read, read, read. Learn - learn - learn.

Raist999

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
I put together a system about 6 weeks ago with a Soyo Dragon Plus, XP 1900+ and a Geforce 3 Ti 200. It runs very stable, I havent had any problems running both 98SE and 2000pro on different partitions. Im very happy with it.