Decent gaming rig? On a scale of 1-10....1 being the worst

zexxterstom

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Case: Aspire X-Plorer Black/Blue Steel

Video Card - Geforce 7900 GT 256MB

Power Supply - Rosewill 550W ATX 2.01

Water Cooling: Thermaltake Big Water SE Water pump with Blue LED light 12 cm Liquid Cooling System

Memory - 1 GB 184-pin SDRAM DDR 400 G-Skill

MOBO - ECS 945G-M3 Micro ATX Intel

Processer - Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHZ Dual Core

Drive - Lite On 16X DVD R DVD Burner W/ Lightscribe and 5X DVD-RAM (W/ Cd Wallet)

Voska

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Ok here is my honest opinion.
Case = ok
Video Card = pends on what games you are playing and how good you want it to look.
PS = What is the AMP's?
Water Cooling = Scrap that and invest it into a better video card. unless you big into Overclocking
Memory = G-Skill.... dude get some OCZ or Corsair
MOBO = ok
CPU = Dual Core is ok. but it has been proven that single core does great when looking at Price/performance I do realise that that CPU is the 805. so I am assumeing you are planning to achive the huge OC ability to do it. But you may wish to get a good PS, better memory to handel the OC, and the Water Cooling is ok for it but again look into what the CPU's do when it comes to gaming for example look at THG's cpu charts the Intel Pentium D 820 costs $151 and on a properly equiped system only gets 105 FPS in UT2004 where if you take the same a similar system with an AMD Athlon 64 3800 which costs $142 and gets 163FPS with the same video card!!!
ODD = eh its ok

so overall man i would give it a 5 out of 10. but with it overclocked to what some people have done it would say 7 out of 10

I would rather give you my honest imput rather then posting some flack and not helping the original poster with what they need. were not all perfect so how about trying to help people out when they have a question and if you dont wish to help by giving USEFUL imput then dont bother wasting time and posting.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
For a gaming rig that would get a 4, even with the GFX card I bet my system with only an X800XT PE would get better frame rates and smoother game play.

Your CPU is an old style Pentium dual core that is not even as good as some of the slowest AMD dual core. Innless you’re getting that for a good price I would sling it and get either an AMD or wait for the new Intel dual cores to come out in about a weeks time.

Everything else is budget orientated, it all depends on how much money you have to spend on this new rig. I would also double your ram if you can afford it, your going to need to have 2gbs in most new games.

My next upgrade will cost me £900 ($1300) how much are you actually looking to spend?

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Some quick comments:

Vid card - good

Power supply - never heard of the manufacturer. Be sure to check it's details thoroughly and make sure it has good reviews.

Water cooling - seems an extravagance to me. There are better places to spend your money on that system - such as 2Gb of RAM or a better graphics card. A good air-cooling solution is pretty quiet and a lot cheaper. Less hassle too.

Memory - good RAM, but if building from scratch I'd get 2x1Gb.

Processor - can't comment as I'm an AMD fanboy. But if you look round these forums you'll find that AMD tends to offer better bang for your buck - although this may well change with Conroe. I couldn't advise going for old Intel architecture.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
CPU = Dual Core is ok. but it has been proven that single core does great when looking at Price/performance

you know, you can easily solve that by just going into the BIOS and disabling one of the cores. My Dell M90, I can disable one of the cores and it's a DELL!!!! Don't see why you couldn't do that with other motherboards.

Other than that, my Athlon 64 3200 @2.2GHz w/ 2 Gig DDR400 @ 2-3-3-6 @ 2.7 V, w/ GeForce 6800 (stock) is still kicking pretty good and it's 2 years old! :D

The games I play are BF2, Oblivion, HL2, Prey, etc and play all of those at Max except Oblivion. So, yea I play at 1024x768 on my 17" FP. Don't see why I should up the res. However, I will make note that Oblivion, OVERKILLS my computer :cry: But hey, that's why I got my XBOX 360 :D I didn't stand in line for nothing! :oops:

So, I'm still contemplating whether to upgrade to a new CPU or not. Other than that, this was my first AMD and to be honest, AMD, Intel, doesn't matter to me. They're both good. Just depends how much money you have in your pockets and big of a fire you have burning in those pockets! :tongue:

Oh yea, I'd rate that a 6 though due to your MB (ECS???? Game machines should use ATX, and not Micro. Also, make note that CPUs are rarely bottlenecks...normally it's everything else, and in this case, MOBO. nForce are good boards! at least my ASUS K8N-E Deluxe was) and limitation of RAM. Note, BF2 runs smoother with 2 gigs of RAM IMHO.

akscottbot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Thats the wrong memory. thats DDR. unless thats a wierd mobo, a 945 based mobo should be using DDR2. Im not sure if 945 chipset even supports DDR

Beside that its a fine machine to run most games @ 1024 x 1280 with medium textures, give or take. unless you are an experienced overclocker, and since you want to wait til end of summer anyway, you may want to forego the 805 and the watercooling, and go for a Core 2 Duo @ 1.86 or 2.13. Core 2 @ around 2.4 should outmatch an 805 even @ 4Ghz (if yours would even go that high)

i wouldn't go for a lower vid card, as the extra money will buy you more lifespan out of your card, since you dont have to upgrade as soon.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If your wanting to build a new PC just now I believe this is one of the worst times to do that. You have the new Direct X 10 cards coming out very soon which will mean that not only can you get a cheaper card that will work just as well as the one you are thinking of getting now. It will also be 100% compatible with the next generation of computing and games.

If you can afford to wait just 2 or 3 more months you will get a much better PC for your money that will more than likely last you a year longer than one you would buy today.

I done a quick calc and the PC you noted specs on should be worth about £600 - £650 and for that kind of money you could get the following:

In-Win X711B Full ATX Silver Case + 430W PSU - £52
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz 4MB Cache - £220
Abit AW8 1955X Motherboard - £75
OCZ PC6400 DDR2 2GB - £143
BenQ Light scribe 16X DVD burner - £32

Total = £522 ($750)

That leaves out £80 - £130 free to buy a GFX card but if you wait a few months not only will all the parts I just quoted cost less but the graphics cards will also be much better.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I totaly agree with cafuddled. There is so much new stuff coming out in the on coming moths. Wich really is worth waiting for.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Case: Aspire X-Plorer Black/Blue Steel

Video Card - Geforce 7900 GT 256MB

Power Supply - Rosewill 550W ATX 2.01

Water Cooling: Thermaltake Big Water SE Water pump with Blue LED light 12 cm Liquid Cooling System

MOBO - ECS 945G-M3 Micro ATX Intel

Processer - Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHZ Dual Core

Drive - Lite On 16X DVD R DVD Burner W/ Lightscribe and 5X DVD-RAM (W/ Cd Wallet)

ECS? :?
I'm assuming you're going to OC the D805 A LOT, due to the watercooling choice, but, I'm not sure about the ECS board... It has nice reviews on NewEgg, but I wouldn't buy that... Just my opinion.

The PSU seems nice, nice amps too. Dual 12V rails.

Ummm, DDR400? That mobo uses DDR2, not regular DDR. Check that. And be sure to buy good memory, to support your future OCing. OCZ, Corsair, are good choices.

And, just like Llama_Man said, go for 2x 1 GB.

PS: Unless you are in a tight budget. :wink:

EDIT: Oh oh, I forgot! I'll give a 5 out of 10. Mostly due to the 7900GT, which is a nice card.
You forgot the HDD!! :wink:

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
It's a pretty decent system, ill give you a 6

The rosewill powersupplies havn't done that great in the past. Hopefully they are doing better now.

The watercooling system sucks. Sry, i had the same watercooling system with the flow indicator and water level indicator. Everthing was going fine until a hot summer day without air conditioning and the cables softened up and started leaking(small holes)....luckily no components got damaged.

I would recommend ocz over g-skill anyday, but w/e.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeCQNma6OLw