Outlook Express - The Bemuda Triangle

I've just upgraded from Windows Me to XP and in the
process lost all my address book, inbox messages, and
outbox messages. It's a complete blank. I've even tried
the recovery procedure listed at:

us;313055

but all to no avail. Am I to assume that all my messages
from the last three years have disappeared forever?

Yours forlornly

Paul
6 answers Last reply
More about outlook express bemuda triangle

    Paul wrote:
    > I've just upgraded from Windows Me to XP and in the
    > process lost all my address book, inbox messages, and
    > outbox messages. It's a complete blank. I've even tried
    > the recovery procedure listed at:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
    > us;313055
    >
    > but all to no avail. Am I to assume that all my messages
    > from the last three years have disappeared forever?
    >
    > Yours forlornly
    >
    > Paul

    Control Panel>folder options>view>show hidden files and folders - place
    a check in the box.
    Start>search>for files or folders>*.dbx and when the search is complete,
    note the location.
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Hi Kath

    As I mentioned, I already performed that task as per the
    microsoft support instructions. The only .dbx files that
    came up in that search were those under "Documents and
    Settings" (which currently consists of one incoming
    email "Welcome to Outline Express 6").

    On a far lesser note, I've also lost all my "Favorites"
    in Internet Explorer.

    Any ideas? Or, as I fear, has XP's version of Outlook
    Express 6 erased my Me version (also Outlook Express 6)?

    Paul

    If the search for the dbx folders came up blank, then I am afraid that I
    have no other suggestions other than to learn from your mistakes and
    make backups on a regular basis. A useful link for you :-
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm

    For your Favourites, I presume you have also tried searching for those
    and come up blank? Again, backing up all important documents, lists,
    etc., is a useful thing to do.

    By the way, did you have a name change overnight?
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Kath Adams wrote:
    > Hi Kath
    >
    > As I mentioned, I already performed that task as per the
    > microsoft support instructions. The only .dbx files that
    > came up in that search were those under "Documents and
    > Settings" (which currently consists of one incoming
    > email "Welcome to Outline Express 6").
    >
    > On a far lesser note, I've also lost all my "Favorites"
    > in Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Any ideas? Or, as I fear, has XP's version of Outlook
    > Express 6 erased my Me version (also Outlook Express 6)?
    >
    > Paul

    Sorry, Kath, just a bit stressed out by all this.

    I've heard there are special programs that can locate
    this kind of missing information on your hard drive (even
    retrieving deleted messages). Are you aware of these?

    Just hoping all the doors haven't closed in my face.

    Cheers
    Paul

    Hi, Paul.

    In OE6, click Tools | Options..., then the Maintenance tab. Click the Store
    Folder button. This will tell you where OE THINKS its *.dbx files are, and
    where it will create new ones if it can't find the old ones.

    My favorite way to find files (*.dbx or any other) is to open a "DOS"
    window. At the prompt, type:
    dir C:\*.dbx /s /a

    This will start in the Root of C: (C:\) and search for any files with the
    ..dbx extension; the /s switch causes it to search all subdirectories; the /a
    switch shows ALL files, including System, Hidden and Read-only files. If
    this command string doesn't show a .dbx file, it ain't on C:.

    There are several Discussion Groups for Outlook Express. You will have a
    better chance for a solution in one of those groups.

    > I've heard there are special programs that can locate
    > this kind of missing information on your hard drive (even
    > retrieving deleted messages). Are you aware of these?

    The Tomsterdam site that Kath gave you is the "mother lode" for OE
    information. Another great resource is Steve Cochran's DBXtract and related
    programs. http://www.oehelp.com/Default.aspx

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry, Kath, just a bit stressed out by all this.
    >
    > I've heard there are special programs that can locate
    > this kind of missing information on your hard drive (even
    > retrieving deleted messages). Are you aware of these?
    >
    > Just hoping all the doors haven't closed in my face.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul

    Thanks, RC.

    My computer has been down for a couple of days while I
    upgraded the hardware and re-installed everything from
    scratch. Basically, I don't think it was a good idea
    and let you know if I have any success.

    Cheers
    Paul

Outlook Express Microsoft Windows XP