How to disable "InfoTips"?

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I just got myself an XP Home edition and immediately run to an annoying feature - the InfoTips i.e. "In some cases, pausing your mouse over an item on the screen displays an InfoTip." (source Ms XP Home, Help index: help -> popup help).

I've tried to look for a place where I can stop the use of this feature (as in e.g. previous Excels etc) but so far in vain.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to kill this feature before it kills me (at least mentally).

BR,

Ãœser from Finland

G

Windows XP is overrun with this garbage and takes some time to make all the changes necessary to stop these types of annoyances. Many balloon tips can be turned off by going.start\search\change preferences and then click the don't show balloon tip arrow. Here you can turn off the search assistant and whatever else you don't need. start\control panel\folder options\view tab and uncheck "show pop-up descriptions----" Thats another one. You can turn off auto complete and so on and if you need to know where and how to turn off the url history, run command history and so on in the registry just e:mail me and let me know what you want. Some of the stuff is tough though. For instance you need a hex editor to stop the annoying "click here to begin" when you hover over the start button and that begins to get into more advanced things. Right click start then click properties\start menu tab\customize button\advanced tab and uncheck "highlight newly installed programs". This is just the beginning. XP has much much more like "tips" that can be turned off. It isn't just a matter of saying turn off the balloon tips you need to know what's a pop-up description and what's a tip and so on. Whew. It isn't easy but I'm about %90 there. I even have the min,max,close stopped. You can remove the annoying shortcut arrow on the desktop and even the "shortcut to" that's added to the title. The list goes on and on. e:mail me if you want the reg routes and techniques. Welcome to the eXPeriance. {:~)

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Take a look here...
http://williammcconnell5.tripod.com/Windows_XP_Index__New_.html

"New User" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5378D2B9-ED94-40A0-B9CD-417CA9012231@microsoft.com...
> I just got myself an XP Home edition and immediately run to an annoying
feature - the InfoTips i.e. "In some cases, pausing your mouse over an item
on the screen displays an InfoTip." (source Ms XP Home, Help index: help ->
popup help).
>
> I've tried to look for a place where I can stop the use of this feature
(as in e.g. previous Excels etc) but so far in vain.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to kill this feature before it
kills me (at least mentally).
>
> BR,
>
> Üser from Finland
>
>

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

This is the page from the site you need...
http://williammcconnell5.tripod.com/Disable_Balloon_Tips__XP_.html

"New User" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5378D2B9-ED94-40A0-B9CD-417CA9012231@microsoft.com...
> I just got myself an XP Home edition and immediately run to an annoying
feature - the InfoTips i.e. "In some cases, pausing your mouse over an item
on the screen displays an InfoTip." (source Ms XP Home, Help index: help ->
popup help).
>
> I've tried to look for a place where I can stop the use of this feature
(as in e.g. previous Excels etc) but so far in vain.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to kill this feature before it
kills me (at least mentally).
>
> BR,
>
> Üser from Finland
>
>

G

Thanks for all the tips! I'm getting there slowly, but these already helped to get rid of most of the annoyances!

BR,

User in Finland