just got system up and running again

Hi,

After chatting with Microsoft and getting a friend to
help with the system (windows xp)and trouble shooting for
over 2 months, my system is finally working better, not
perfect but better. Atleast windows xp loads and I have
access to system recovery.

My question is though, my system is clean and windows xp
loaded.
So far I have the critical updates, I've installed the
firewall and I downloaded Mcafee.

What is the next step to help my system run smoothly and
is there a helpful site?

Thank you
4 answers Last reply
More about just system running again

    Hi, Glennda.

    If it were my system, I probably would set aside a half-day and do an
    "in-place upgrade", as described here:
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

    This will reinstall WinXP itself from scratch, but will preserve your
    installed applications and data - and some of your tweaks. This restores
    WinXP to its just-installed state, so as soon as Setup finishes, make sure
    the firewall and antivirus are working, then visit Windows Update to get the
    latest Service Pack (if it isn't already on your CD) and later updates
    installed again. Be sure to get ALL the Critical Updates. Read the
    instructions for the optional updates; you probably want most of them, too.

    No, all this isn't strictly necessary. But your system probably will run
    much better for it. Well worth a half-day investment of your time.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "glennda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > After chatting with Microsoft and getting a friend to
    > help with the system (windows xp)and trouble shooting for
    > over 2 months, my system is finally working better, not
    > perfect but better. Atleast windows xp loads and I have
    > access to system recovery.
    >
    > My question is though, my system is clean and windows xp
    > loaded.
    > So far I have the critical updates, I've installed the
    > firewall and I downloaded Mcafee.
    >
    > What is the next step to help my system run smoothly and
    > is there a helpful site?
    >
    > Thank you

    I will check this out.

    This restores
    >WinXP to its just-installed state, so as soon as Setup
    finishes, make sure
    >the firewall and antivirus are working, then visit
    Windows Update to get the
    >latest Service Pack (if it isn't already on your CD) and
    later updates
    >installed again. Be sure to get ALL the Critical
    Updates. Read the
    >instructions for the optional updates; you probably want
    most of them, too.

    I have all the critical ones but not all others. Does it
    hurt to install all of them even though they are related
    to my system?

    >No, all this isn't strictly necessary. But your system
    probably will run
    >much better for it. Well worth a half-day investment of
    your time.

    >RC
    >--
    >R. C. White, CPA
    >San Marcos, TX
    >rc@corridor.net
    >Microsoft Windows MVP

    appreicated, now my outlook isnt'working. I'll paste
    what it said.---------------------------
    Microsoft Outlook Express
    ---------------------------
    The identity login could not be started. Some components
    are either missing or incorrectly configured.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------
    ---------------------------
    Outlook Express
    ---------------------------
    Outlook Express could not be started. It may not be
    installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full
    or that you are not out of memory. Contact Microsoft
    support for further assistance. (0x8007045A)
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------
    ---------------------------
    Outlook Express
    ---------------------------
    Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL
    could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be
    installed correctly.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:23:15 -0700, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    > Outlook Express
    > ---------------------------
    > Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL
    > could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be
    > installed correctly.
    > ---------------------------
    > OK
    > ---------------------------

    Did you back up *.DBX files to CD and then copy them to the hard drive? If
    yes, be sure to go into the properties for the ones on the hard drive.
    Remove the check mark from the Read Only box.

    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    defrag c:then download drivers for all hardware installed on your system (souch as Graphic board).
    remember to REBOOT your system after each install....
    Then i would go to PCPITSTOP.COM for advise of changes that may be needed.

Windows XP Microsoft System Recovery