Best way to improve signal ?

I am about to install a linksys wrt54g router and try and use it about
100 ft away in the garden through several brick walls.
i dont think i stand a chance.

how can i boost the signal ?

should i buy an external antenna or a repeater or another access point
?

any help appreciated,

<sam1967@hetnet.nl> wrote in message
> I am about to install a linksys wrt54g router and try and use it about
> 100 ft away in the garden through several brick walls.
> i dont think i stand a chance.
>
> how can i boost the signal ?
>
> should i buy an external antenna or a repeater or another access point
> ?
>
> any help appreciated,

External antennas will be your best bet. Directional would be best. There
are even plans for home built ones on the internet.
AG

sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
> I am about to install a linksys wrt54g router and try and use it about
> 100 ft away in the garden through several brick walls.
> i dont think i stand a chance.

The brick walls might present a problem.
You can start with simple reflectors.
http://www.freeantennas.com EZ10, or the original parabolic.
That's free, and easy to try.

Postion the wrt54g near a window, even if it isn't line of site.
External antennas could be mounted outside the brick walls. Homebuilt
patch antennas are moderately directional, but more important is that they
are cheap, and can be placed fairly inconspicuously outside the brick
walls.
http://www.geocities.com/lincomatic/wifipatchantenna.html

--
---

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:45:03 +0000 (UTC),
dold@BestXwayXt.usenet.us.com wrote:

>sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
>> I am about to install a linksys wrt54g router and try and use it about
>> 100 ft away in the garden through several brick walls.
>> i dont think i stand a chance.
>
>The brick walls might present a problem.
>You can start with simple reflectors.
>http://www.freeantennas.com EZ10, or the original parabolic.
>That's free, and easy to try.

thanks,

anyone in the UK wish to sell me one of these parabolic antennaes ??

sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
> anyone in the UK wish to sell me one of these parabolic antennaes ??

I consider David Taylor's web page to be good reading, and contains some
specific recommendations for the UK.

< http://www.nodomainname.co.uk/cantenna/cantenna.htm >

--
---

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:52:40 +0000 (UTC),
dold@BestXwayXt.usenet.us.com wrote:

>sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
>> anyone in the UK wish to sell me one of these parabolic antennaes ??
>

>I consider David Taylor's web page to be good reading, and contains some
>specific recommendations for the UK.
>
>< http://www.nodomainname.co.uk/cantenna/cantenna.htm >

thanks for the link. nice to get some local knowledge too.