  • Computers
  • User Accounts
  • Windows XP
May 9, 2004 2:38:41 AM

My computer hasn't been working properly for a while now.
I asked this question once before but didn't recieve very
much help. It seems that when I turn on my computer,
windows loads 2 programs into the notification area,
turns to a blue screen for a few seconds, then loads the
remainder. Since then I have noticed that someone must
have added another user, but it's all in my name, I can
switch users,one one user I have 2 programs running,make
another switch and I get back to the one that has the
most start up programs. I hope I am explaining this
properly, now tonight I went into the add and remove
programs to see about cleaning up, and now I have two
complete sets of programs, I think they are Identical,
but one set says programs are rarely used, where the
other set says they are used frequently. So I guess my
question is, can I safely remove the programs that say
haven't been used for 2 years, and just keep the one set
that are frequently used? If I can, can I also find out
how to get rid of all users except me??? I don't have
anyone else using this compter anymore other than myself
now anyway, so I only need me as the user/administrator.
Can anyone help me on this. I do not have a windows xp
disc. it came already installed, all I have is a recovery
disc.
Novice LC

More about : user accounts

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:57:17 PM

On Sat, 8 May 2004 22:38:41 -0700, Novice LC wrote:

> My computer hasn't been working properly for a while now.
> I asked this question once before but didn't recieve very
> much help. It seems that when I turn on my computer,
> windows loads 2 programs into the notification area,
> turns to a blue screen for a few seconds, then loads the
> remainder. Since then I have noticed that someone must
> have added another user, but it's all in my name, I can
> switch users,one one user I have 2 programs running,make
> another switch and I get back to the one that has the
> most start up programs. I hope I am explaining this
> properly, now tonight I went into the add and remove
> programs to see about cleaning up, and now I have two
> complete sets of programs, I think they are Identical,
> but one set says programs are rarely used, where the
> other set says they are used frequently. So I guess my
> question is, can I safely remove the programs that say
> haven't been used for 2 years, and just keep the one set
> that are frequently used? If I can, can I also find out
> how to get rid of all users except me??? I don't have
> anyone else using this compter anymore other than myself
> now anyway, so I only need me as the user/administrator.
> Can anyone help me on this. I do not have a windows xp
> disc. it came already installed, all I have is a recovery
> disc.
> Novice LC

Where are you looking to see how often a program is used? If looking in
Add/Remove Programs, no - do not remove the programs from there unless you
want to uninstall the software completely from the system. It will then be
unavailable for any user.

On a standalone system you'll want to keep at least the following:
Administrator, All Users, Default User, LocalService, NetworkService and
your personal user account. If .NET framework 1.1 is installed, you will
also have a .ASP Machine Account user but it will have no user folders of
its own under Documents and Settings.

If Windows was preinstalled on your system, you may also see folders for
"Owner." This is an OEM added account provided for the new owner of a brand
new system. It is in the Administrator group. The answers provided to the
questions during the first run are used to complete its set up.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User