Sign in with
Your question

Planning a new gaming rig

Last response: in Video Games
July 25, 2006 4:46:13 PM

Im planning to have this rig custom built for me by a freind (not brave enough to build me own..lol) and was wondering what peoples comments where on it. Id by using it mainly for gaming, video converting and general internet use.

My main concern is will it be able to play the latest games on max/high settings?

CPU - INTEL® CORE® 2 DUO E6600 (2 X 2.40GHZ) 1066mhz FSB/4MB Cache

Memory - 2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2-533 PC4200 (2x1GB)

Motherboard - ASUS® P5N32 SLI-DELUXE: 2 PCI, DUAL LAN, SATA RAID

Graphics Card - 256MB GEFORCE 7900GT PCI Express

Hard Drive - SATA II 500 GB HARD DISK @ 7200rpm 8mb cache

CD/DVD Writer - 16x +/- DVD WRITER (x2)

Power Supply & Cooling - 500W (Peak) Super Quiet Dual Rail PSU with 120mm fan

Thanks for looking

More about : planning gaming rig

July 25, 2006 6:34:06 PM

First of all, you should be able to run most games on max/high as long as you aren't using an extreme monitor and resolution. There are a few games such as oblivion that will regardless be harder on your rig than others. When you are outdoors in that game your framerates will drastically slow down.

About your build, you might want to think about getting a faster speed of ram, its not gonna cost much more and in the long run it will probably be better.

Otherwise it looks good, although I don't know if you need two dvd-burners, but that just depends on what you plan to do with your system.
July 26, 2006 4:12:32 AM

Quote:
Im planning to have this rig custom built for me by a freind (not brave enough to build me own..lol) and was wondering what peoples comments where on it. Id by using it mainly for gaming, video converting and general internet use.

My main concern is will it be able to play the latest games on max/high settings?

CPU - INTEL® CORE® 2 DUO E6600 (2 X 2.40GHZ) 1066mhz FSB/4MB Cache

Memory - 2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2-533 PC4200 (2x1GB)

Motherboard - ASUS® P5N32 SLI-DELUXE: 2 PCI, DUAL LAN, SATA RAID

Graphics Card - 256MB GEFORCE 7900GT PCI Express

Hard Drive - SATA II 500 GB HARD DISK @ 7200rpm 8mb cache

CD/DVD Writer - 16x +/- DVD WRITER (x2)

Power Supply & Cooling - 500W (Peak) Super Quiet Dual Rail PSU with 120mm fan

Thanks for looking

Hello

If i were you , i would replace your slow memory with a faster memory kit. Start with at least 800mhz. I would also have two 250 GB hard drives instead of one 500 GB hard disk. I would have these two in raid 0 set up. I would also buy third party heat sink and fan to replace the stock fan. You will be able to overclock well with better heat sink and fan. Everything else looks good to me.

Good luck.

Thura.
Related resources
July 26, 2006 10:32:32 AM

Thanks for the comments. Ill def look into getting faster RAM and 2 hard drives. Is there any RAM you could recommend?

Also do you think using SLI on the graphics card i have picked would be beneficial to me?
July 26, 2006 12:08:51 PM

I would do SLI if you think its worth it. It will double the cost of your video cards but won't double the performance of your graphics system. Depending on the game you're playing the performance increase can range from around 80%, it depends on who you ask and the benchmarks on how much it actually improves.

If its worth the extra money to you than I would go with it. The bottleneck on every high end system is the video cards. So you have to decide what you want.
July 26, 2006 2:33:29 PM

Personally I wouldn't go with a Raid0 on those harddrives, I would keep them separate. There is some performance increase using Raid0 but if one harddrive goes down you lose everything. I use one harddrive as my main drive and the other as my backup with copies of everything that is important on it. That might not be the super performance way to go, but I do a lot of photo and video editing and I can't afford to lose that stuff if something happens.

You won't see any performance increase in games with raid0, except perhaps load times, otherwise the game will still bottleneck at the video card.
July 26, 2006 2:59:16 PM

Your memory is fine don't be chucking more money away than needed.

Buy two harddrives. Don't raid, there's no point. Benefit of having two drives is that when you need to do a reinstall of windows you can keep all the stuff you want backed up on one of the drives. Saves you burning a mass of dvds :) 
July 26, 2006 3:30:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Ill def look into getting faster RAM and 2 hard drives. Is there any RAM you could recommend?

Also do you think using SLI on the graphics card i have picked would be beneficial to me?

Hello

If I were you, I would not go Sli. If you are really into gaming, I would go with a high end graphic card only. In my opinion , it is not worth to have sli setup. When you do sli, you will need a very good psu and you will also need a very good monitor that can support high resolution. If I were you, I would not pick sli. Corsair, mushkin, ocz come into my mind first when it comes to memory. Again keep in mind the compatibility issue. Check with the motherboard requirements. An easy way to do is that , for example, use memory configurator at corsair website. It will tell you exactly what memory you can go with. As I said before, I would start at least with 800 MHz. If everything is the same , go with low latency memory.

I have been using raid 0 setup for long long time, and I never have a problem. For the safety of your data, you are recommended to back up your data often regardless of your setup. It is not true that your data are safer on a single hard drive. Every hard drive can crash. But you can gain extra performance by having raid 0 either in benchmarking or real world applications. In short, I do recommend Raid 0 setup.

Good luck.

Thura.
July 28, 2006 6:47:46 AM

I agree with everyone else in that you would be better off with faster RAM. You also don't need SLI. I personally think it is a big waste of money. You might as well just get a 7950GT if you want the power of two video cards. While I'm on the topic of SLI, if you aren't going to do it, then get a non-SLI motherboard to save money. That way you can get faster RAM without throwing any more money into the setup, or you can put the saved money towards a better video card, or perhaps a nice sound card, which I would definetely consider.
August 2, 2006 1:04:11 PM

Ive been reading alot of threads about SLI and i agree with people who have posted that it does look like a waste of money. Especailly as i will be getting an high end graphics card. The extra money i will be saving can go to some faster memory
August 3, 2006 8:31:18 PM

i have heard of some different problems when settin up RAID 0 , but overall that is up to you.

if it were up to me, i would just get a few 10,000 rpm drives no matter what. RAID or otherwise.

the SLI thing, everyone is correct if they said don't do it based on all the things i have heard about it.

the memory, faster is always better, and good quality is necessary. Corsair, OCZ, etc.

other than that, let us know how your system performs and what you choose.

peace.
!