Moving stuff to a new computer

desmond

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Group,

I am in the process of moving some of my stuff from a Win98 machine to a
WinXP machine. Have not used a "move stuff" type program and so far things
have worked out pretty well. However, one little problem remains.

I would like to move my Favorites for IE to the new machine. I copied the
Favorites file in Windows Explorer from the Win98 machine and dropped it
into the Favorites file in Windows Explorer on the XP. Made sure each
Favorites file was from and to the same file as there is more than one file
with that name. But that didn't seem to work as I still don't have them
listed in the Favorites drop down menu in IE on the new machine.

Any suggestions ? I would hand copy each entry if I have to but there must
be an easier way !!!

Thanks for the assist.

Des, the Elder.

Desmond wrote:
> I am in the process of moving some of my stuff from a Win98 machine
> to a WinXP machine. Have not used a "move stuff" type program and so
> far things have worked out pretty well. However, one little problem
> remains.
>
> I would like to move my Favorites for IE to the new machine. I
> copied the Favorites file in Windows Explorer from the Win98 machine
> and dropped it into the Favorites file in Windows Explorer on the XP.
> Made sure each Favorites file was from and to the same file as there
> is more than one file with that name. But that didn't seem to work
> as I still don't have them listed in the Favorites drop down menu in
> IE on the new machine.
>
> Any suggestions ? I would hand copy each entry if I have to but
> there must be an easier way !!!
>
> Thanks for the assist.

Favorites on Windows 98 are here:
C:\Windows\Favorites

Favorites on Windows XP go here:
c:\documents and settings\username\favorites

--
<- Shenan ->
--

desmond

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Thanks ever so much !! I can always rely on these newsgroups to have the
information I need.

Thanks again,

Des, the Elder.

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Desmond wrote:
> > I am in the process of moving some of my stuff from a Win98 machine
> > to a WinXP machine. Have not used a "move stuff" type program and so
> > far things have worked out pretty well. However, one little problem
> > remains.
> >
> > I would like to move my Favorites for IE to the new machine. I
> > copied the Favorites file in Windows Explorer from the Win98 machine
> > and dropped it into the Favorites file in Windows Explorer on the XP.
> > Made sure each Favorites file was from and to the same file as there
> > is more than one file with that name. But that didn't seem to work
> > as I still don't have them listed in the Favorites drop down menu in
> > IE on the new machine.
> >
> > Any suggestions ? I would hand copy each entry if I have to but
> > there must be an easier way !!!
> >
> > Thanks for the assist.
>
> Favorites on Windows 98 are here:
> C:\Windows\Favorites
>
> Favorites on Windows XP go here:
> c:\documents and settings\username\favorites
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

I'm glad you got the help you were looking for. Just for your own information. XP has a settings and file transfer wizard that may help you in the future. It's in start\all programs\accessories\system tools\files and settings transfer wizard. You can go into your help and support center and type in file and settings transfer wizard and do some reading. Good luck. {:~)