I need ur opinion

BeerStore

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
Forget the reviews,forget the benchmarks.I wanna get a new mobo cause i am stuck with an K7S5A.I want USERS opinions.What chipset?what brand?I want stability.What should i get?SIS?VIA?AMD? what is out there that u r most satisfied with? (i am talking about the motherboards).

If it works, don't fix it.

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.gotapex.com/reviews.php?rev=mainboards/via333-comp/p6.html" target="_new">My two favorite boards reviewed together</A>
I'm sure you're gonna get tons of different opinions, but I think these two boards are awesome. Abit and Asus are my guys (like most), and I use an A7V333 which I've had no problems whatsoever running. Check out the massive northbridge HS's on the Asus. Read the finer differences between the two (Raid options, Raid floppy) and choose whichever one suits your fancy. Best of luck.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Sorry, my system:
XP 2000
A7V333 at 149 FSB completely stable (149x12.5=1.86ghz)
AIW 7500
Maxtor 80gb ATA133 (I like to put that, even though I'll never get it lol)
I like the VIA KT333 chipset, and have built two matching systems for my buds since.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

goldendom

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
VIA's chip sets seem to be very popular. About the brands- abit, asus, msi, soyo, epox..etc. are all popular but what kinda the board do you want? a featureless board or a board with features? this will help narrow down the choices.

Unleash da Power to Perform

BeerStore

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
just looking for a stable mobo..no raid or scsi, ata100 or 133, socket A, and just the usual options.I was looking at Asus A7V266-C with VIAKT266a.
<A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v266-c/overview.htm" target="_new">http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v266-c/overview.htm</A>.What do u think about that(it is pretty cheap and it is asus)...:)

If it works, don't fix it.

BeerStore

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
try reading the whole paragraph..and by the way...this is a hardware/software community...if u want grammar stuff , i recommand www.dictionary.com
any other questions?
too bad u bothered to read the post and answered bull.

If it works, don't fix it.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Beerstore on 06/08/02 10:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Intel chipsets are generally more stable and compatible than other chipsets.

However in our current class of technology, chipsets using Socket A (462) for processors perform better (Duron and Athlon XP or ThunderBird pros). Intel obviously isn't going to make a motherboard to support the processor of its main competetitor (unless they wanted to do something like the MTH issue with the 820's :smile: )

So we have other chipset makers like VIA, SiS, ALi, etc....

Not to say that these are bad or anything, but they generally have more compatibility probs than Intel's chipsets.

With the recent amount of mess that's been going on (though I can parially, if not mainly attribute this to the KT333 boards as being shoddily designed), it seems Abit and Tyan are currently leading up. And other companies that used to be the King, like Asus, slipped up with the last 2 chipsets they vendored.

There are different things to take into consideration, like what type of RAM you want, and things.

Best thing to do is get a good warranty, that way if you buy something that doesn't work, you can take it back to the store and bitch to either get it fixed, or get you a working board.

If you are going to buy now (and say, not wait for AMD's new Hammer 64-bit CPU's), I like the 266A by Abit. I have their version with no integrated features (except for a HighPoint ATA-133 RAID, it is part of VIA's newer SouthBridge chip)

If you wanted to do Intel, you could go with an 815 chipset and get a Tualitan (a newer different version of the Pentium 3, kind of like the Athlon XP is really a ThunderBird with the Palomino core). You could do this over getting an AMD based processor, but you'll miss out on DDR RAM and FSB among other things (you'll be straight 133).

I'm pretty sure their Tualitans go at least as high as 1.3GHz

Asus did well on the 815 chipset (they messed on the 333 and 266A).

Tyan often vendors multi-processor motherboards.