How do you remove little shortcut arrow on icons

I was able to do this on win98 but now I can't find the place to do it in XP. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about remove shortcut arrow icons

    "The Unknown P" <mikisiw@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Go>start\run and type in regedit and click ok now go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    and click the + beside it. Now find InternetShortcut and click to highlight
    it and open the sub keys in the right panel. Now right click on IsShortcut
    and click modify and delete any value that shows. Do the same for the
    following keys. Piffile and LnkFILE. If you want to know how to remove the
    "shortcut to" prefix as well then e:mail me

    Why do you never reply with the OPs query? Besides not doing that, you
    typically give poor advice, plonk!

    I understand now what you mean by OP's query .What you are trying to ask is "Why do I not include the original post in my replies?". Because, simpleton, the post is already here for people to read and I frankly think that duplicating it in a reply is a complete waste of time and space. The original thread creator knows what they wrote, and if you need to, then simply read it. I challenge you to justify your statement
    "you typically give poor advice," . Show me where and when. {:~(

    In addition:
    Make it 'Light Arrow' rather than removing the overlay icon totally. This helps you identify shortcuts vs applications.

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell

    "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64A3AFB4-5800-4319-806B-2FE7FF827374@microsoft.com...
    I was able to do this on win98 but now I can't find the place to do it in XP. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

    Thanks.

    Powertoys will do it. Make sure you choose the right version for your computer.

    Powertoys for Win XP Pro

    Powertoys for Win XP Home
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=afa135c8-8b63-4c03-8986-d7f45a6aa1fa&DisplayLang=en
    Powertoys for Windows XP
    The Tweak UI PowerToy requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 (or higher) or Windows
    Server 2003 (any version). It will not install on any other versions of Windows.

    "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I was able to do this on win98 but now I can't find the place to do it in XP.
    Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

    > Thanks.

    Powertoys did the trick thanks for the help.

    The unknown p: That tip didn't work at all. I had no values in the Isshortcut key and I couldn't find the others...

    Others have told you how (powertoys), but why do it at all? That little
    arrow, by being there, conveys information.

    "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I was able to do this on win98 but now I can't find the place to do it in
    XP. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

    > Thanks.

    Glad the Powertoys worked for you.
    Kaylene

    > Powertoys did the trick thanks for the help.
    >
    > The unknown p: That tip didn't work at all. I had no values in the Isshortcut
    key and I couldn't find the others...

Icons Microsoft Windows XP