Win. 98 compatiblity mode

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Some child devices say that my child devieces are running in reg mode and compatibilty mode so the computer was halted so stop errors... I've tried to re-install the operating system and stuff, but it doesnt work. I need help

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Maybe So, but nobody reponded to those, So I figured the more ther merrier!

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, I responded, you simply didn't listen. You didn't like what you heard so you posted everywhere else. The answer remains the same. Either you don't have a driver loaded you need, or you loaded a driver you shouldn't have.

Not all driver updates are good or necessary for Windows 98. For example, I've given up on VIA's windows 98 drivers, the default ones work fine with most of their chipsets. SiS's IDE drivers have also been known to have issues with Windows98. But other drivers need to be installed to function properly.

Which driver is giving you problems, the IDE driver? What chipset do you have?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Its not that I didnt listen, its that I didnt see it. No need to be angry. Its IDE . its says CMD PCI-0640 pci to ide controller something with 32 bit drivers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Had you put that into a search engine you would have come up with information like <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q151/9/11.asp&NoWebContent=1" target="_new">this</A>.

I'd try loading a new driver first, try downloading and installing ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/cmd648.zip

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Honeslty man, the help is appreactied, but there really isnt any need to be rude about it. I've already tried Deleting NOID. it was the first thing I did. and I did do a search (came up with that). It didnt help. and the computer that doesnt work the program cant be loaded because it doesnt have internet.
As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by karamazov on 03/31/04 09:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you actually LOAD the driver I suggested?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
By the way, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just nasty by nature. Please don't take it personally.

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Nooo.. I dont have the internet in there..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
download it on the computer your using now, and decompress it to a floppy, it should fit.

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I've tried that. It worked, but my cd-rom doesnt wanna seem to work now. I've even tried the rea-mode drivers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think they contain special ATAPI drivers for use with that controller and a CD-ROM.

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Where do I put them? They dont contain an install file.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm lost. Try connecting your CD-ROM to another controller, you should have the standard on-chipset controllers as well as that add-on chip's controller.

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
UPDATE!!!!
I got it working last night. Thank you for the help. In fact, I'm on it right now typing this message. Once again, thank you