Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please list games that you think have good stories.

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 27, 2006 8:02:19 PM

Hey everyone out there. I just wanted to see what everyone thought were games that had good stories.

By good I mean that they were at least semi-original. I know lots of games have good stories but they are soo cliched that they shouldn't count (*). And I guess something important too is that you felt like you believed it definately...

I guess it will be hard to get serious responses on something like this though =P. (no trolls plz. and dont bother listing cliched)

-------

So far I guess I would say FF7 is one of them. Feel free to add.

-------

(*) Any FF game after FF7 fits into this category. Any resident evil game after RE2 fits into this category. Any tactical shooter after Rainbow Six the first. etc etc.

More about : list games good stories

July 28, 2006 11:12:14 AM

The original No-One Lives Forever was pretty good. The plot was cliched (it's a James Bond p*ss-take), but it's very entertaining and there's some hilarious moments in the game if you eavesdrop on the henchmen.
July 28, 2006 3:09:22 PM

i found the storylines in the following games fun and well done but some were a bit cliched.

Max Payne
max Payne 2
Deus Ex (not the second one)
Freespace 1 and 2
Wingcommander
Farcry
Halflife 1 and 2
Related resources
July 30, 2006 7:56:41 PM

Imperial Galactica, Robot made to save mankind placed into a position where he didn't know what he was. Of course the basic principle "evil race from outside the galaxy threatens all" remained the same.
Anonymous
July 31, 2006 1:32:14 PM

I can second every listing until now; some additions though:

Fahrenheit
Baldurs Gate
Fallout 1&2
July 31, 2006 7:07:42 PM

I really liked the story to Final Fantasy X although X-2 was horrendous and annoying.

Resident evil 4 has a good storyline and also the most innovative game design I've seen in awhile.
August 1, 2006 10:44:06 PM

I agree with just about all others listed, especially FF7 and The Fallout Series.

A couple of my choice pics, not yet listed:

Knights Of The Old Republic

Wing Commander III + IV

Suikoden

Metal Gear Solid (The sequels were just too weird storywise, this one was out there, but still compelling.)

Neverwinter Nights (The original campaign)
August 10, 2006 8:28:42 AM

I agree with the above ones
also vietcong had a pretty good story line, lest thats what i thought
oblivion was pretty good
does starcraft have a good story line? i've heard good things about it but never bothered playing
pacman had a compelling storyline that was an emotional rollercoaster :wink:
dreamfall was pretty much just a storyline
good old point and click games had to have good storylines otherwise they wouldn't sell
August 10, 2006 7:08:59 PM

Deux Ex
No One Lives Forever
Diablo 2 (the first time I had this crazy dream because I wanted to kill Diablo so badly... yea im a nerd...)
Age of Mythlogy (because I like all things greek and roman... like I said a nerd...)

Cant think of much more right now
August 10, 2006 8:32:36 PM

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Gothic II (Didn't play 1)
August 12, 2006 5:17:54 PM

I liked the storied to Final Fantasy VII, IX, and X.

I also really liked the Knights of the Old Republic games as well.
August 12, 2006 7:43:59 PM

I'll probably get flamed to death for this, but; i felt DoW and its little expancion had a descent story line to them, i never got into the whole games with dice and books thing, but as RTS games go, i liked them and cant wait for the new expancion. 2 more armies in the mix, sounds cool to me.
August 12, 2006 8:14:41 PM

I liked stories for Final Fantasy VII, IX, and X. The stories for Knights of The Old Republic I and II were good. I can't wait for III.
August 14, 2006 3:59:19 PM

Quote:

I also really liked the Knights of the Old Republic games as well.

Oops, forgot that one, great game - very fun.
August 17, 2006 5:32:56 PM

Knight of the Old Republic (just the first one)
Skies of Arcadia
Baulders Gate
Warcraft III
August 17, 2006 6:10:51 PM

The original Legacy of Kain, excellent story, fantastic FMV sequences to move the story along, a great epic. Didn't really like the follow up games.
August 17, 2006 11:27:37 PM

One word:

ZORK
August 18, 2006 12:29:16 AM

Is this thread only for PC games? If not, I will be the first (and only) to say that, In my opinion Sonic Adventure 2 (dreamcast) has a great storyline. Its also the LAST good Sonic game ever made.

DC G4/\/\3R 4L!f3
August 18, 2006 2:49:46 PM

um arent we forgetting the game with the greatest story line ever...

Leisuresuit Larry
August 18, 2006 5:07:06 PM

In no particular order:

Deus Ex (First one, second wasn't bad, but...)
Planescape: Torment (IMHO one of the all around best games ever)
System Shock 2 (never played 1 but I've heard it's just as good)
Baldur's Gate series (You can actually get a mod that let's you play through 1, 1's expansion, 2 and 2's expansion in one sitting)
Fallout 1 and 2
Morrowind (The actual story isn't that great, but the world is rich in backstory if you like to read)
Freespace 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 6 (or 3 if you want to get American about it)

I could probably think of others, but that's it for now.
August 18, 2006 5:20:09 PM

Quote:
DC G4/\/\3R 4L!f3

:roll:
August 18, 2006 5:20:59 PM

Minesweeper :lol: 
August 18, 2006 6:39:02 PM

Guys,

I'd like to setup a FarCry network game with a friend of mine over the net. What program can I use to get this right? How would I go about it? What's the best way to setup the network between us so that when we go into the game, we'll see each other on the same network. I've tried Hamachi but it is REALLY slow. Let me know!

Thanks!
August 20, 2006 12:01:47 PM

Deus ex 1
Darkan order of the flame
August 21, 2006 2:15:24 PM

Countdown (early 90s) :lol: 
September 6, 2006 2:52:30 AM

Xenogears/Xenosaga

Chrono Trigger

Disgaea

La Pucelle

A bunch of the ones already listed in this thread.

Probably several more that my sleep deprived brain can't recall.
September 19, 2006 9:12:26 AM

in my opinion the best stories in games are zelda-the ocarine of time and ff8
September 19, 2006 10:24:32 PM

Chrono Trigger!!!!!

Good call, fantastic game. Probably the first time that infornography42 and I have agreed on something. Well played, sir.

This one deserves mentioning, too: I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.
Ho. Lee. Crap. That is one weird game. I you like surreal sci-fi and are a Harlan Ellison fan, check it out. Mind-boggling.
September 26, 2006 2:18:48 PM

Fallout 1&2 are excellent Tactics wasn't
January 5, 2013 2:55:18 PM

In my status, i think assassin creed series is the best!!!
January 9, 2013 3:58:05 PM

fredgiblet said:
Planescape: Torment (IMHO one of the all around best games ever)

+1!
January 9, 2013 4:20:16 PM

In no particular order and just off the top of my head:

Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3 & 4
Suikoden 2
Lunar Silver Star Story & Eternal Blue
Darksiders 1 & 2
Max Payne 3
Sleeping Dogs
Bioshock
Deus Ex & Deus Ex Human Revolution
Dishonored
The Witcher & The Witcher 2
Borderlands 2
Bastion
Final Fantasy 4 & 6 & 9
Phantasy Star 2 & 4
Shining Force 2
Chrono Trigger
January 9, 2013 4:21:25 PM

ALANMAN said:
Is this thread only for PC games? If not, I will be the first (and only) to say that, In my opinion Sonic Adventure 2 (dreamcast) has a great storyline. Its also the LAST good Sonic game ever made.

DC G4/\/\3R 4L!f3

Forgetting Sonic Generations already? lol
January 10, 2013 7:23:28 AM

casualcolors said:
Forgetting Sonic Generations already? lol

Check the date of the thread =p
January 10, 2013 8:11:05 AM

TheGhxst said:

Holy necro. lol
January 10, 2013 8:14:32 AM

casualcolors said:
Holy necro. lol

I think the title needs to be edited for "FROM THE DEAD"
January 10, 2013 8:23:30 AM

la noire
john yesterday
January 10, 2013 8:23:46 AM

TheGhxst said:

Damnit Suresh Babu!
January 10, 2013 1:28:10 PM

The Thief series was excellent IMO.
January 11, 2013 11:33:49 AM

I don't know whether I'm getting old or it's just that I'm still attached to the old games.
New games don't seem that appealing. They have great graphics, yes. However they are hallow. They have a storyline, yes. However it's empty. There is no satisfaction or excitement in completing them. That's why I'm just content with multiplayer games.

Nothing beats Xenogears. It has action, drama, and everything you could ask for in a good RPG. Perhaps what's missing is the graphics but if you think of it, a lot was already achieved on the year this was created.

Perhaps it's the Nostalgia. Perhaps I'm really just getting old and there are other things which are more important right now.

Nevertheless.

Does anyone agree or it's just me?

:) 
January 11, 2013 11:41:33 AM

chocostain said:
I don't know whether I'm getting old or it's just that I'm still attached to the old games.
New games don't seem that appealing. They have great graphics, yes. However they are hallow. They have a storyline, yes. However it's empty. There is no satisfaction or excitement in completing them. That's why I'm just content with multiplayer games.

Nothing beats Xenogears. It has action, drama, and everything you could ask for in a good RPG. Perhaps what's missing is the graphics but if you think of it, a lot was already achieved on the year this was created.

Perhaps it's the Nostalgia. Perhaps I'm really just getting old and there are other things which are more important right now.

Nevertheless.

Does anyone agree or it's just me?

:) 

I think it's just because at the time some of those older games came out, nothing had been done or tried like that before and graphics were always getting better. It was all fresh and new. Now games just seem like variations of the older games. The market is flooded with nearly identical games making them feel stale.
January 11, 2013 2:40:14 PM

I agree with the above, but I also think some of it is just age. The longer we are alive, the less things are new and exciting. When I was a kid, movies were awesome, but today, they are also boring to me much of the time. I find myself enduring them, rather than being captivated.

It may be that movies have gone down in quality, but when I watch movies I thought were awesome as a teenager, they look so stupid to me today.
January 12, 2013 3:40:24 AM

Since this thread is here, necro'd or not, I'll toss in Spec Ops: The Line as well. I was impressed.
January 12, 2013 4:07:10 AM

I still have to give Spec Ops a try. Games back then just seemed like they were made with heart. There are a few breakthroughs today that are really good, but it just seems like they are lackluster.
January 12, 2013 4:26:30 AM

TheGhxst said:
I still have to give Spec Ops a try. Games back then just seemed like they were made with heart. There are a few breakthroughs today that are really good, but it just seems like they are lackluster.

You can always go to the Indie developers, you see a lot of them on Steam. Big game companies that utilize voice acting and high end quality graphics spend too much money to take a risk the risk of something unique.

I still think most of our complaints about todays games being boring is because it just takes more to impress us. We seen that and done that already.
January 12, 2013 8:47:02 AM

I think that's an important point, and one I find applies equally to books and films... maybe even music, though to a lesser extent. I'd also like to try Spec Ops, though I'm on a crappy old 1GB Radeon 4870 (since my 5970 died) so until the GTX770 launch, I'm only playing games I know I can max on a 4870. Not seen anyone benchmark Spec Ops so I'm not sure I could run it.
January 12, 2013 9:12:59 AM

My specs are in my sig, and granted a 570 is quite a step up from a 4870, but even fully maxing the game and injecting more anti-aliasing I couldn't ever get it to dip below vsync'd 60 fps. lol
January 12, 2013 9:19:09 AM

I'm afraid I'd need a bit more to go on than that before buying the game :-) I'm happy to estimate 4870 performance based on that of comparable GPUs (5770, 6770, 7750, GTX260, GTX550 Ti, GTX650) or adjacent models to those (4850, 4890, GTS250, GTX275, etc) but a 570 is about double the speed!

I've gone through Tom's, Anandtech, Tweaktown, Tech Review, Tech Spot, Tech Powerup, Bit-Tech and probably others I've forgotten, right back to 2008 on each to find games my card will max. None were benchmarking Spec Ops. I'll maybe open a thread about it and a few other games to see if anyone knows of sites that have benchmarked them.
January 12, 2013 12:50:00 PM

I'd like add the Kain series. Great story, albeit somewhat confusing. First you play Kain, then you play Kain before or is it after, then his dad, or is that his son, or his cousin, or his sister's brother's cousin last century, or his uncle's best friend's former roomate next century or...
January 12, 2013 4:19:35 PM

hi

the good story is Tomb Raider Anniversary and Prince of Persia the sands of time

games no recently but great satisfaction

(sorry for my english)
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!