vinviper

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Hi

I have the following hardware but am having lockup and intermittent reboots when in Windows XP.

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-7VRXP running latest BIOS.
CPU AMD Athlon 2100+ XP
Video GE Force 3 (tried various detonator drivers)
Sound Creative Audigy
Memory 1 x 512mb PC2700 DDR333 (just changed this from PC2100 as thought memory could be the prob)

The following Event ID occurs -
Event ID: 4
Source ACPI

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x75) which lies in the 0x74 - 0x75
protected address range. This could lead to system instability.
Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

As I mentioned I am running on Windows XP, and have only just built this PC all parts are new, bar the video card,
which I have had for approx 6 months.

The ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface ) is the Microsoft XP system interface that provides a standard
method for managing power consumption by the computer hardware. For those of you who dont know.
But, can anyone please please please give me any help on how to sort this problem, or point me to another place/area where
someone can help?

This is really bugging me now, as my machine is pretty unuseable!! Sometimes it is up for an hour, other times it lasts a minute
or so before hanging.

I have disabled all on board devices in the BIOS and shut down as many ACPI devices/interfaces in the BIOS as possible.

Help will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Vinny

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi.

Have you tried disabling ACPI in the BIOS? I can't remember if this board can or not though. Also, try installing the latest 4in1 drivers from VIA.

One little test you can <i>possibly</i> do is put your hard drive in anouther computer and see if you get the same issues. WinXP should autodetect all the drivers and get you at least running. See if that makes the problem go away.

-<font color=green>"<i>Tis not a <b>man</b>, tis a <b>monster</b>!</i>"</font color=green>

mfud

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
obviously you have windows xp. this software makes me crazy. i prefer really the old windows 98. it is really more useful.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
It's a power standard designed to give computer parts certification for power saving features.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.

mfud

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
maybe something like Advanced Configuration and Power Interface.

power management system developed by Intel Microsoft and Toshiba that allows a Windows operating system to control the amount of power provided to peripheral devices.

syk_bob

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
ok if its to do with acpi in windows xp then i think i may have a solution you could try. i had the same kinda problem not with this mobo but with another gigabyte. you wil have to install windows xp. but when it first loads the setup it asks to press F6 if you want to install third party raid drivers etc.when it says that press F7 it doesnt say anything about it because well i dunno y it doesnt but trust me! by pressing F7 when it askes about raid driver, it disables the ACPI in windows xp totally, this fixed the problem your having for me there is one thing you will notice different your pc will not turn its self off.thats it.i hope it works for you!

good luck
Bob

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what brand of memory? What CAS level? Have you tried it without the Sound Blaster? Have you disabled the onboard sound?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>