arash

I have an XP new install cd home edition (not upgrade).
When I put in the CD in Windows 98, and start the
installation, it doesn't give me the option to "Upgrade"
windows 98. It only allows me to do a "New Install"

I want to be able to keep program files, settings and
documents. Will doing the new install save these files?

Thanks

Apparently, you acquired an "OEM Version" of Windows XP.
OEM versions cannot upgrade an existing Windows installation. Only
"Retail Versions" can upgrade. Either purchase a "Retail Version" of Windows XP
or reformat your drive to install the OEM version "clean".

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

OEM versions of Windows XP:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation.
-- must be installed "clean" on a freshly reformatted drive or partition.
-- cannot be transferred to a different computer in the future.
-- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user.
-- are not eligible for free Microsoft technical support.
-- must be purchased with some type of computer hardware.
-- any problems whatsoever with the installation CD or Product Key.
is not eligible for Microsoft support....you have to deal with the "seller".
-- cost less than "retail versions" due to the above limitations/risks.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Arash" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

|I have an XP new install cd home edition (not upgrade).
| When I put in the CD in Windows 98, and start the
| installation, it doesn't give me the option to "Upgrade"
| windows 98. It only allows me to do a "New Install"
|
| I want to be able to keep program files, settings and
| documents. Will doing the new install save these files?
|
| Thanks

> Do I have to reformat?

You might want to consider doing a clean re-install using
a full version of Windows XP, as recommended by others in
this thread. Before doing so, make sure that the hardware
that is already present is compatible to work in Windows XP
and/or updated drivers are available. Because applications
are going to be re-installed, do a backup of all documents
and data files, etc., by copying as uncompressed files to
a CD-R and/or preserving the existing HD by installing XP
into a new HD or external HD (min. 2 copies = 1 backup set).
Even if attempting to install Windows XP on top of an older
OS, take the usual backup precautions. HTH.

papa

If you have an OEM version of Windows XP, your only choice is to do a clean
install. That is why OEM versions sell for less.

"Arash" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an XP new install cd home edition (not upgrade).
> When I put in the CD in Windows 98, and start the
> installation, it doesn't give me the option to "Upgrade"
> windows 98. It only allows me to do a "New Install"
>
> I want to be able to keep program files, settings and
> documents. Will doing the new install save these files?
>
> Thanks

Gordon

"Arash" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an XP new install cd home edition (not upgrade).
> When I put in the CD in Windows 98, and start the
> installation, it doesn't give me the option to "Upgrade"
> windows 98. It only allows me to do a "New Install"
>
> I want to be able to keep program files, settings and
> documents. Will doing the new install save these files?
>
> Thanks

Is it an OEM version? You can't upgrade using an OEM version of XP
AFAIK.....

It might be, it wasn't in the retail package when I bought
it. Is there anyway to be sure?

Thanks

Gordon

> [...]

I believe that if you contact Microsoft with the Product key they will be
able to tell you....has the Product Key got OEM in it? Just a thought.....

Gordon

> Do I have to reformat?

If you are going to do a clean install, then the best results will be
obtained by re-formatting.

If you have only one partition, and it has Windows 98 installed,
then you'll have to reformat that partition before installing your
OEM version of Windows XP. The alternative is to purchase
a third-party partitioning program, such as Partition Magic 8,
and create a new partition for your Windows XP installation.
You'll then have a dual-boot configuration where you can either
boot to Windows 98 or Windows XP.

Partition Magic 8.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| But I don't necessarily have to reformat?

Gordon

> But I don't necessarily have to reformat?

I think that if you are installing and OEM copy then the installation
process (as it will not do an in-situ upgrade) may well do a format anyway.
If it does not, then you SHOULD do one, unless you decide to install onto a
separate partition, as it is NOT a good thing to install one OS on top of
another.

I recently installed XP and never thought it through like
you did. Now I have 98 running on my C drive and XP
running on my D drive. I hope someone can answer your
question and help me fix mine.

Sorry I didn't have any advice for you.
Becky

papa

Hi Becky:

I suggest that you re-partition and re-format your hard drive, then do a
clean install of Windows XP. That way any prior problems will be gone and
you will not have the needless complexity of 2 operating systems.

Of course, in doing this, all data and software will be gone - so back up
anything important and reinstall your other programs such as Microsoft Word
after your OS is operational..