Hi, I posted the following message to
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup, and got little response.
Could anyone please recommend a more suitable newsgroup where an MVP
(they're so helpful!) could answer my question, or at least someone of
similar knowledge? On said newsgroup I merely got a warning from someone
saying that my IP address should be a guarded secret, when it is apparent
that sites can easily obtain them. Just try www.whatismyip.com.

All help much appreciated, and many thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup - please let me know if I should
post elsewhere.

Question from a relatively techno-illiterate concerning IP addresses. A
couple of sites I sometimes visit - such as mousebreaker.com (those little
games) log IP addresses, and keep (and display) data on how often I visit
and so forth. Wiping cookies and clearning my temporary internet files
doesn't change this.

Should I be concerned about privacy? If IP addresses can be stored, don't
all sites keep data, and more importantly, does this jeopardise personal
information on my computer - such as bank details? I always thought IPs were
just a unique identifier - how much can be found out about you from them?

If there's a website explaining everything about IP addresses, that would be
great. Equally, all replies much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

An IP (Internet Protocol) address is a number assigned to your computer
when you surf the Internet. Servers scattered around the world use these
addresses to direct your Web browser. While an IP address can be associated
with an individual computer, the IP address does NOT automatically identify
the name of the computer's user or its user. Just like you cannot hide your
street address or vehicle license tag number, you cannot hide your IP address.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Tom Smith" t.smith315@ntlworld.com wrote in message:

| Hi, I posted the following message to
| microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup, and got little response.
| Could anyone please recommend a more suitable newsgroup where an MVP
| (they're so helpful!) could answer my question, or at least someone of
| similar knowledge? On said newsgroup I merely got a warning from someone
| saying that my IP address should be a guarded secret, when it is apparent
| that sites can easily obtain them. Just try www.whatismyip.com.
|
| All help much appreciated, and many thanks in advance!
|

| Hi,
|
| I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup - please let me know if I should
| post elsewhere.
|
| Question from a relatively techno-illiterate concerning IP addresses. A
| couple of sites I sometimes visit - such as mousebreaker.com (those little
| games) log IP addresses, and keep (and display) data on how often I visit
| and so forth. Wiping cookies and clearning my temporary internet files
| doesn't change this.
|
| Should I be concerned about privacy? If IP addresses can be stored, don't
| all sites keep data, and more importantly, does this jeopardise personal
| information on my computer - such as bank details? I always thought IPs were
| just a unique identifier - how much can be found out about you from them?
|
| If there's a website explaining everything about IP addresses, that would be
| great. Equally, all replies much appreciated!
|
| Thanks in advance!

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Tom Smith" <t.smith315@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I posted the following message to
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup, and got little response.
> Could anyone please recommend a more suitable newsgroup where an MVP
> (they're so helpful!) could answer my question, or at least someone of
> similar knowledge? On said newsgroup I merely got a warning from someone
> saying that my IP address should be a guarded secret, when it is apparent
> that sites can easily obtain them. Just try www.whatismyip.com.
>
> All help much appreciated, and many thanks in advance!
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup - please let me know if I
should
> post elsewhere.
>
> Question from a relatively techno-illiterate concerning IP addresses. A
> couple of sites I sometimes visit - such as mousebreaker.com (those little
> games) log IP addresses, and keep (and display) data on how often I visit
> and so forth. Wiping cookies and clearning my temporary internet files
> doesn't change this.
>
> Should I be concerned about privacy? If IP addresses can be stored, don't
> all sites keep data, and more importantly, does this jeopardise personal
> information on my computer - such as bank details? I always thought IPs
were
> just a unique identifier - how much can be found out about you from them?
>
> If there's a website explaining everything about IP addresses, that would
be
> great. Equally, all replies much appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance!

Here is your IP address, as per your message. 81.102.204.45

But don't worry, your source is wrong, and it shouldn't be a guarded secret.
Websites need your IP to transmit data back to your PC and to them, as the
address number indentifies you, and your PC. It is your number, and without
it, you couldn't do transactions, browse, etc.

As long as you do safe browsing, like staying away from questionable sites,
don't download things you don't know what they are, use a good firewall, and
have your IE6 security set to at least medium, you should be OK.

Gordon

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "Tom Smith" <t.smith315@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I posted the following message to
> > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup, and got little
response.
> > Could anyone please recommend a more suitable newsgroup where an MVP
> > (they're so helpful!) could answer my question, or at least someone of
> > similar knowledge? On said newsgroup I merely got a warning from someone
> > saying that my IP address should be a guarded secret, when it is
apparent
> > that sites can easily obtain them. Just try www.whatismyip.com.
> >
> > All help much appreciated, and many thanks in advance!
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup - please let me know if I
> should
> > post elsewhere.
> >
> > Question from a relatively techno-illiterate concerning IP addresses. A
> > couple of sites I sometimes visit - such as mousebreaker.com (those
little
> > games) log IP addresses, and keep (and display) data on how often I
visit
> > and so forth. Wiping cookies and clearning my temporary internet files
> > doesn't change this.
> >
> > Should I be concerned about privacy? If IP addresses can be stored,
don't
> > all sites keep data, and more importantly, does this jeopardise personal
> > information on my computer - such as bank details? I always thought IPs
> were
> > just a unique identifier - how much can be found out about you from
them?

> > If there's a website explaining everything about IP addresses, that
would
> be
> > great. Equally, all replies much appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >

> Here is your IP address, as per your message. 81.102.204.45
>
> But don't worry, your source is wrong, and it shouldn't be a guarded
secret.
> Websites need your IP to transmit data back to your PC and to them, as the
> address number indentifies you, and your PC. It is your number, and
without
> it, you couldn't do transactions, browse, etc.
>
> As long as you do safe browsing, like staying away from questionable
sites,
> don't download things you don't know what they are, use a good firewall,
and
> have your IE6 security set to at least medium, you should be OK.

In addition, if your ISP gives you a dynamic IP address, then it changes
slightly every time you log on.